Is it normal to feel a little nauseous when purchasing an expensive bag?

Great thread. When I purchased my first Chanel - that was my most expensive bag purchase. I was felt excited, flushed, guilty and then nervous and happy. My head swooned spending $3,300 on a piece of leather. I watched not only Chanel, but all premium designer bags increase way over the $1,000 price point. I was lacking in emotional control when it came to buying high end bags. I always made these justifications (excuses) to myself and why I should spend $$$ on a bag. Last year the large Chanel price increase turned me off from Chanel and premium designer bags in general. With Covid, less travel, less going out to fancy-schmansy bars, restaurants, restrictions on visiting friends and travel, I began to take a serious look at my luxury items. Also, where I live within 25 miles radius is a big divide between rich or fake rich and poor. And... I caught the Marie Kondo bug and don't see a need for so much stuff. My later handbag purchases have been MCM and Coach. I have not worn my Chanel, LV and YSL collection enough to justify buying another handbag.

I feel a little guilty. I went through a divorce in 2008 and got rid of a lot of expensive stuff. Now that I am back on my feet again, I am repurchasing a lot of my old bags. I love them and can't wait to get them back, however, part of me thinks I should be putting the money in my 401K. I retire or at least cut back in 4 years. As a physical therapist, I have a physical job. I would like to quit by 62.

I feel a little guilty. I went through a divorce in 2008 and got rid of a lot of expensive stuff. Now that I am back on my feet again, I am repurchasing a lot of my old bags. I love them and can't wait to get them back, however, part of me thinks I should be putting the money in my 401K. I retire or at least cut back in 4 years. As a physical therapist, I have a physical job. I would like to quit by 62.
I don't really have a lot of luxury goods, but there are a few things that I really want. I am thinking that I need to acquire these items while I am still working. Once I retire, I don't think I will feel comfortable spending so much money on these things. My goal is to have a few versatile, classic pieces that I love and USE forever !!

Thank you!! I’ve send them a pic of a new bag - which is listed on the LV page for 3950 and they offered me 1400 :sad:.
This is one year after you posted, but if you still have bags to sell you’ll get the best return on eBay. I have been selling for years and have submitted for quotes from fashionphile also. Fashionphile usually lowballs me. With a little more patience, time and effort I am able to sell on eBay for a better price. I had a reissue 225 black ghw that FP quoted me $5k for last month. I now have listed it on ebay and am pretty sure it’ll sell for close to $7k. Even after the IRS takes their cut, I’ll have profited $1k. It’s worth the extra effort imo.

For me, it's about total spending, not just spending on bags specifically. I love luxury bags. My joke is that I don't blink spending $2500 on a bag, but won't spend more than $30 on a pair of jeans. My hair is buzzed, so I don't need to buy styling products or tools. I don't wear makeup, so no spend on that. I don't wear perfume. I live in lounge clothes, jeans from Kohl's, Nikes, and UGGs. My husband and I don't smoke or drink alcohol. And other than my Tiffany wedding set and Cartier Love ring, which never come off, I rarely wear jewelry. So, the money I don't spend on all the other stuff is my bag fund. If I was also into luxury clothing, shoes, etc.... I'd be in trouble. :smile:

I feel sick and my heart beats really fast!! But I’ve overcome this by having a “one (bag) in, one out” policy and I feel better about it. It almost feels like I’m getting the bag for free which is rubbish, I know! The last few years I only buy a Chanel bag if I’ve sold other bags to make up the cost of the bag. I didn’t do this when I bought my Trendy. I just spent money I had in my account and I do feel guilty about that as I’ve hardly used the bag.
I feel nauseous too. I held my holy grail-preloved Chanel medium CF and told myself " this is the last luxury item I will ever have". Since then, I stop buying luxury items.

Just spent the last 6 weeks paying off a payment plan for my very first Chanel and I did feel pretty guilty not gonna lie. But I knew I really wanted this when the Chanel was all that I could think about and I was sure there isn't any other bag I wanted. Even sold some stuff from my closet (that I no longer wear) to ease the guilt a little bit.
Same here. Although I bought preloved but the preloved market price is going insane as well! The guilt is bad. So after my CF, NO more Chanel.

That being said I am glad I am not attracted by Hermes in anyway even after watching tons of videos on Birkin n Kelly. Their design totally not to my taste, their prices is totally crazy at the very least!

Oh gosh. I must be broken lol. Jk I never get sick! Shopping is my happy place and wouldn’t have it any other way. I do always think of ways to offset my purchases tho. So in order for me to pay x I need to make sure I bring in x more or spend less on something else.

I do take breaks from buying things and just enjoy what I have. I will buy a ton of stuff in a year or two and then stop buying altogether for years. Before I started buying Chanel heavily last year I think for about 6-7 years straight I *may* have bought one bag a year. I tend to only buy classic type stuff that I know I will wear for a while so I can get my monies worth. I don’t do fomo because I can’t be bothered with selling. I definitely feel another one of my breaks coming on.

Last edited:
Yes, I feel sick AFTER the excitement wears off of getting the new bag. But then I remember I work really hard to buy it (I’m in healthcare). And remind myself its coming from my bag fund which includes funds from my other bags to offset the cost of the new acquisition and offset not buying other non-essential items. I’m okay. Lol.