Is it normal for a real LV to have a strong chemical odor?

Hmmm I wonder if mothballs are being used to prevent prevent pests from getting in to the purses (storage). If yes, they have other options you know. Lavender sachets and cedar shavings in sachets are among the other options. Knitters swear by this to prevent moth infestations in inexpensive yarn stashes. Ask me how I know..... :biggrin:

I think that the mothball smell is also related to a strong mold/mildew smell. I bought a Chanel from Asia years ago and I could smell it before I even opened the shipping box, it was that strong. It took forever to get the smell out - and I still can't use that bag! Since that time, I always ask about smell. My seller dismissed it as unimportant but I gagged every time I went near the bag.

I have not purchased from her in a while but I think she has a disclosure in her listings about the smell or at least she used to. It is something you have to be aware of whenever you purchase from Asian countries. I bought one from Japan that the mothball smell was bad but I got a great deal on it so I didn't want to complain, large Epi Noe. I just left it sitting outside and the odor went away.

A friend of mine bought the Florin Wallet in Graphite yesterday at the LV store here and it has a really strong chemical odor aswell, he used now some leathercare balm which smells like honey for it which i also use for my leather and coated canvas items, its very good for protection and neutralizes any chemical odor so it just smells like leather later. :smile:

My new Zippy wallet has a chemical-ish leather smell to it (not mothballs) but I happen to like it. It has that new LV smell which is a lot different from odors from things people put in their bags. I think it also has to do with sensitivities - some smells irritate people more than others.

honestly.. if there is a smell. have it authenticated right away.

the really good lv fakes.. have that really harsh plastic smell. real bags never smell like chemicals.

I have to say I have bought some epi (from LV directly) and couldn't handle the smell. I have no idea why as I am not sensitive in other ways. I also bought some through other means and they all had a distinct odor (though not the same.) I gave up on epi for this reason. Love the bags - they just don't love me!

My new Zippy wallet has a chemical-ish leather smell to it (not mothballs) but I happen to like it. It has that new LV smell which is a lot different from odors from things people put in their bags. I think it also has to do with sensitivities - some smells irritate people more than others.

Not only fakes have odours, real LV's do too! Like lvlover and lvloveaffair have mentioned, LV products do have a smell. I have a epi electric brea and it has a very strong chemical smell to it. I bought this from a LV boutique.

OP, I'm sorry to hear that there is a odour to your purchase. However based on your sellers reputation, I think it is probably moth balls. I've personally used dryer sheets and it worked quite well. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, I thought I was a pretty savvy shopper, having successfully bought several bags on ebay with no problems, but I think I was finally duped.

Just bought a large size LV Epi Leather St Jacques in black on ebay and it just arrived.

Instantly, I knew something was wrong. Although it is a pretty good reproduction--stitching looks pretty good, date code makes sense, lining looks right, hardware looks right etc--the bags smells toxic. When I put my nose up to my real LV epi leather bags they smell like leather. This one has a chemical smell. The bag also feels lighter than it should and the leather doesn't have the correct sheen.

I have written to Carol Ives to give me authentication/not authentic services, then I'm going write back to the seller and ask for a full refund including shipping. Worst case scenario I'll take this up with Ebay.

Any other suggestions? Don't want to go to Louis Vuitton store--too embarrassing.

So the answer to the question--Should an authentic LV epi leather bag have a chemical smell? Absolutely not! It should smell like rich leather ladies!!

Well, I thought I was a pretty savvy shopper, having successfully bought several bags on ebay with no problems, but I think I was finally duped.

Just bought a large size LV Epi Leather St Jacques in black on ebay and it just arrived.

Instantly, I knew something was wrong. Although it is a pretty good reproduction--stitching looks pretty good, date code makes sense, lining looks right, hardware looks right etc--the bags smells toxic. When I put my nose up to my real LV epi leather bags they smell like leather. This one has a chemical smell. The bag also feels lighter than it should and the leather doesn't have the correct sheen.

I have written to Carol Ives to give me authentication/not authentic services, then I'm going write back to the seller and ask for a full refund including shipping. Worst case scenario I'll take this up with Ebay.

Any other suggestions? Don't want to go to Louis Vuitton store--too embarrassing.

So the answer to the question--Should an authentic LV epi leather bag have a chemical smell? Absolutely not! It should smell like rich leather ladies!!

You can post pictures of it here and the old ebay link if you still have it and get an opinion.
http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vu...-format-post-1-a-689632-176.html#post19424381

I happened to notice this thread again---I just purchased an NF for my sister and it has a "chemical" leather smell--just a little off from a regular leathery smell. It happens to be made in France and what's odd is that it smells EXACTLY like my petit Noe which is MIF. None of my other LV's smell like that. And both bags that smell similar are made in 2010- pretty odd.
I smelled the NF and I was like---that smells just like my Noe!!!! And then I smelled my Noe to compare. (I smell almost everything!!) They both have a very distinct smell but then again I'm very sensitive to smells. I must've been a dog in a previous life :biggrin:

My first Speedy LV that I bought from LV store smelled of chemical and it was sooo bad I gagged all the time when I opened the bag, thankfully the handles peeled so I had to changed it and the replacement bag smelled so much better.

I hope some of the other posts are correct about real smelling off too. None of my LV's I bought in the store smelled bad but anything can happen and everyone has different sensitivity to smell. I don't know what moth balls smell like. I hope that is all it is with your bag. I have heard good things about that seller too.

Once before I knew better, many years ago...I bought a fake online from a website saying they sold real. When I opened the box it was overwhelming.... it smelled very wrong. Very much like chemicals and it turned out to be fake. I would have it checked out here ASAP.

Good luck I hope it works out for you. I know exactly how you feel.

Yeah the fakes stink. I know there's probably a small % of good sellers, but I just automatically assume everything is fake from Asia. How can they always have SO many LVs to sell? The replica fakes are pretty good, I've seen a few up close, so I dunno, I just suspicious of anyone online selling.

Also, who's to stop people on here from backing up a seller who sells fakes. It could be the seller themselves, who knows.

I feel, and sorry if anyone is offended, that if you can't afford new in the store, then you just have to accept that you most likely will get burned by a fake at some point.

i got a my speedy 25 azur as a christmas gift. i trust my friend that they bought it from the LV store (it came with a LV card, paper bag, box and all - as seen in my avatar). and it did have some funny smell.. not the leather smell as my gucci guccissima wallet, or my coach madison wallet.

i didn't do anything about it, but just use it and air it.

it now has a nice patina. :smile: and no more 'funny smell'..

Hey ladies, i recently bought a NF LV bag, and also a speedy 30 damier and they both smell leather. however, i have a feeing my NV bag is AAA replica, i got it as a second hand from kijiji. i asked the seller and he told me he bought it in New York and even told me that Louis, Gucci and other brands changes style one in a while.
i have fake one and compare the smell from my real speedy damier and its smells different!