Is anyone brave enough to confess...

I have scuffs, scratches and nicks on all my bags. I don't consider that "ruined", but the first few scratches did distress me considerably.

Now I just figure it's part of the everyday life of a bag. I set my bags down on the ground if it looks relatively clean (not talking muddy fields here), have dropped one of my Birkins from a bar stool and have it land upside down (luckily it was clemence) and scuffed the corners of the JPG against walls. Ugh.

But I am super careful around food, wine and beauty products. (Eric - if it shud ever happen again, use something rigid like a business card to scoop as much of the cream off the bag as possible, dab it with a dry cloth and then apply talcum powder to soak as much off the residual oil off as possible. As you discovered, cream + moisture + wiping motion = oil slick.)

I have scuffs, scratches and nicks on all my bags. I don't consider that "ruined", but the first few scratches did distress me considerably.

Now I just figure it's part of the everyday life of a bag. I set my bags down on the ground if it looks relatively clean (not talking muddy fields here), have dropped one of my Birkins from a bar stool and have it land upside down (luckily it was clemence) and scuffed the corners of the JPG against walls. Ugh.

But I am super careful around food, wine and beauty products. (Eric - if it shud ever happen again, use something rigid like a business card to scoop as much of the cream off the bag as possible, dab it with a dry cloth and then apply talcum powder to soak as much off the residual oil off as possible. As you discovered, cream + moisture + wiping motion = oil slick.)

your desciption and attitude sound just like me!
i am not, however, super careful around food either.
i have had ice cream drippings of assorted flavors
on my birken more than once. :cursing:
no wine (i don't drink) or beauty product casualties to report!

^I think the bag care around food stems from my general attire care around food. I hate to get a dry-clean only dress splattered or irreversibly stained. I'm so good at being careful when I eat I can almost do pasta with only a fork, on white dry-clean only stuff. Still, I do hold a napkin in front just to be careful! (No splatters to date.)

Ice-cream sounds baaad. Did it stain?

My biggest fear is red wine.

^I think the bag care around food stems from my general attire care around food. I hate to get a dry-clean only dress splattered or irreversibly stained. I'm so good at being careful when I eat I can almost do pasta with only a fork, on white dry-clean only stuff. Still, I do hold a napkin in front just to be careful! (No splatters to date.)

Ice-cream sounds baaad. Did it stain?

My biggest fear is red wine.
my birken is black, and yes, it did stain,
but it came out with light brushing with a
neutral leather cleaner.
then off to claude for a spa bath
every few months. :graucho:

i usually remember to hold a napkin in front of me, but...
invariably, EVERYTHING i eat has ended up
looking good on me, at one time or another!:hysteric: