Irish Wolfhounds

Of course it's big--HE's big! What a handsome boy:smile: Our Sabo weighs about 90 also and is the largest boxer we've ever had. I love the sweetness and calm of the Great Danes, Newfies, and Irish Wolfhounds we've been talking about. Sometimes boxers can be a bit too bouncy, as someone said.

Thanks for posting his pic. Give him a scritch on the head from his *aunties* on Purse Forum.

My DH says when he used to live in London, there was a Wolfhound that regularly rode the bus he took to work, and it would sit in the row in front of my DH backwards in the seat with his head all the way over and in my DH's face. He says it was the coolest dog ever. Calm and peering/staring. The picture he paints just tickles me. :smile: Now I wonder how his body, the dog's, was folded in order to to that after seeing the photo above!

The largest dogs seem to have no idea how large they are and how much space they take up! Sabo doesn't, but most of our boxers thought they were lap-sized dogs.

Love that pic of the Wolfhound sitting in the chair lol!!!

The largest dogs seem to have no idea how large they are and how much space they take up! Sabo doesn't, but most of our boxers thought they were lap-sized dogs.

Love that pic of the Wolfhound sitting in the chair lol!!!

so true!! Gryphon will jump up on the couch, plop his big newfie butt on my lap and look over his should like "what? you're in my seat!"

btw this is Gryphon :biggrin: Newfs are great with kids!
View attachment 2538662

View attachment 2538663

I still remember this first time I saw a newf! I was probably 6 or 8. Great breed!

I've always wanted one of these but 3 things prevented me from adopting one:

cost of food (they big!)
our yard isn't big enough
keeping up with their colossal poops!

If I had a larger property and he/she was my only pet (affordability) I would totally have one.

View attachment 2538809

My favorite commercial ATM.

Yes the longevity is a concern, I've read that they can go from 5 to 9 years. I know most large breeds don't live much past 10 years, but we prefer a larger dog. I fostered a Newfie a few years ago and loved the experience. She was with me a little over a year and I would have chosen to get another if not for the constant drooling. Even with a bib, it was all over the place.

I don't know much about this breed but I've seen a few. Good luck deciding! Another large breed lover here!

I love all these pictures and large breeds. The thing that terrifies me is the short life risk. My exDH lost two great danes he rescued, each of whom got very sick at young ages.

My little doxies are 13 and 11. It would kill me to lose one of them.

We've narrowed our search down to two breeders, both of which test extensively and have dogs that live past 10 (one current one is 13!!). I visited one of the breeders and was able to interact, and play, and hug a group of 6. We fell in love. They are incredible. Gentle and huggy and so very soulful. Looks like we may be able to get one in the next 12 months. Now to get the yard pup-proof. :biggrin:

I seriously cannot wait to see how Wembley, my Bengal will react. He was mad for months when we brought our Mainecoon kitten home. *mad giggles*