Irish Wolfhounds

Love them! A lady at my old barn only owned Wolfies... two at a time. They are HUGE! Bigger than the little ponies at the shoulder. :smile:

Super friendly and lazy, also. A lot like Danes. Good with the kids, even though they were so huge it was almost like they were careful around them. The oldest she ever owned lived to 12 or 13 (I think).

btw this is Gryphon :biggrin: Newfs are great with kids!
View attachment 2538662

View attachment 2538663

BEAUTIFUL dog!!

I've always wanted one of these but 3 things prevented me from adopting one:

cost of food (they big!)
our yard isn't big enough
keeping up with their colossal poops!

If I had a larger property and he/she was my only pet (affordability) I would totally have one.

View attachment 2538809

I love that pic and their camouflage matches!

Love them! A lady at my old barn only owned Wolfies... two at a time. They are HUGE! Bigger than the little ponies at the shoulder. :smile:

Super friendly and lazy, also. A lot like Danes. Good with the kids, even though they were so huge it was almost like they were careful around them. The oldest she ever owned lived to 12 or 13 (I think).

See this is what I'm hearing, that with the proper nutrition and care they can live a normal range for a huge dog. Versus the ones that die at 5 or 6. I do like how sensitive they seem to be, knowing their size. The Newfie I fostered was also like this, very delicately footed around my girls which were babies at the time. But she felt she was a lap dog with me and regularly tried to climb on me wherever I was seated. I do love big dogs. Not that the little ones aren't great.

Hi,
Their average age is 6.5 years old. They are sighthounds with a high prey drive. They can live with cats if they are raised with them as a pup, or if you went through rescue and the adult has had prior experience living well with cats. Otherwise, a big gamble on a bad end for your kitties.

See this is what I'm hearing, that with the proper nutrition and care they can live a normal range for a huge dog. Versus the ones that die at 5 or 6. I do like how sensitive they seem to be, knowing their size. The Newfie I fostered was also like this, very delicately footed around my girls which were babies at the time. But she felt she was a lap dog with me and regularly tried to climb on me wherever I was seated. I do love big dogs. Not that the little ones aren't great.

Chatted with her daughter this morning while at work - the oldest they had was 12, second oldest was only 9. They currently have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, but the breeder they always bought from stopped producing litters 2 years ago, otherwise I'd pass the info onto you!

I've known Irish Wolfhounds as well as Newfies that belonged to friends. All were extremely calm (any dog is calm compared to boxers). The Wolfhound is so huge it's weird to be sitting down and looking up into their faces! That home didn't have cats, though. But they had 2 of the dogs and the woman said they were very little trouble and she worked FT. She said the kids loved them.

The Newfie was our neighbor at one house and once of the calmest, nicest dog I've ever known. I'd think the hair could be a problem, especially depending on your climate.

My family had an Irish Wolfhound when my sister and I were little (followed by two Scottish Deerhounds). He was a sweetheart. Rode home from the airport in my father's lap when my parents picked him up, and then for the rest of his life whenever he was in the car he would whine and cry to try to crawl out of the way back over my sister and me to get to my dad in the front seat.

My family had an Irish Wolfhound when my sister and I were little (followed by two Scottish Deerhounds). He was a sweetheart. Rode home from the airport in my father's lap when my parents picked him up, and then for the rest of his life whenever he was in the car he would whine and cry to try to crawl out of the way back over my sister and me to get to my dad in the front seat.

Aw that's so sweet! :love:

I've known Irish Wolfhounds as well as Newfies that belonged to friends. All were extremely calm (any dog is calm compared to boxers). The Wolfhound is so huge it's weird to be sitting down and looking up into their faces! That home didn't have cats, though. But they had 2 of the dogs and the woman said they were very little trouble and she worked FT. She said the kids loved them.

The Newfie was our neighbor at one house and once of the calmest, nicest dog I've ever known. I'd think the hair could be a problem, especially depending on your climate.

Yes the hair on the Newfie we fostered was a bit of a mess. Then again, pretty much all pets can get like that. I had her shaved one summer and she seemed more comfortable although she looked very weird. My neighbor has 2 boxers, an older one and a new puppy. Sweetest, happiest dogs ever. But very bouncy! :biggrin:

Chatted with her daughter this morning while at work - the oldest they had was 12, second oldest was only 9. They currently have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, but the breeder they always bought from stopped producing litters 2 years ago, otherwise I'd pass the info onto you!

Thank you anyways. I think with such a specific breed, breeder choice will be key. They don't seem to be in need of rescue ever.

funny you raise that Boxer comparison
A neighbor of ours has two dogs - a Great Dane and a smaller dog that looks like a Boxer or Boxer-mix.
When I go walking the boxer will come to the front of the house and start barking aggressively at me. The great dane is so funny. I think he's a youngster (maybe one year). He will start barking and jumps on the smaller dog's back. So goofy and cute. It's like the smaller dog is serious and the big one is saying "hey what's going on? is this a game?"

Speaking of Boxers and Danes, I have a Great Boxer (can you guess what his mix is?) and he's great with our baby and cats. He's my only first hand experience with a large dog but I have heard good things about Wolfhounds. There's a neighbor of ours that has 2 wolfies and the only thing he has said to me was that they need a very large yard. There's no cats or kiddos in his house though so no help there. The dogs are incredibly sweet but I haven't seen them interacting with anything that much smaller than them.

Speaking of Boxers and Danes, I have a Great Boxer (can you guess what his mix is?) and he's great with our baby and cats. He's my only first hand experience with a large dog but I have heard good things about Wolfhounds. There's a neighbor of ours that has 2 wolfies and the only thing he has said to me was that they need a very large yard. There's no cats or kiddos in his house though so no help there. The dogs are incredibly sweet but I haven't seen them interacting with anything that much smaller than them.

I would love to see your Great Boxer! Do you have a photo you can post?

I guess there are a lot of us who love the larger breeds. I love animals but have a special fondness for big dogs.

I would love to see your Great Boxer! Do you have a photo you can post?

I guess there are a lot of us who love the larger breeds. I love animals but have a special fondness for big dogs.

Here's my Ezio. He's going to be 3 this year and has topped out at 90lbs. He's tall but folds up pretty small. Lol.

Attachments

• october baby pics 082.JPG
    october baby pics 082.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 109