iPad case.. Is it worth it?

I have a ZaggMate for iPad2 as my case...what I would love is to ask momoftwins here on tpf to use her photo of canvas up close to make a skin, one for the iPad, the other for the keyboard case.

The iPad will keep coming out with new versions. So if there is a new one every 10-12 months, and you want to upgrade, your case usually becomes useless. As much as I'd like the looks, it seems like a poor investment since I like to get the latest.

I bought a Kate Spade iPad case and actually iPhone case too. Cute but not so expensive that when I upgrade from iPad 2 to iPad 3, that I would care....

I just saw your comment right above mine :smile:

I would consider it, BUT... I am very sensitive to copyright and not sure if taking the photo and making a case from it would violate LV's rights. If it would, then I would not do it. That said, we know it is ok to use a photo as a background or screen saver. I plan to do that with one of my photos.

Wonder how we could find out about the skin? I am leaning toward it not being allowed though without their approval, and I doubt they'd give it...

Jodi

I have a ZaggMate for iPad2 as my case...what I would love is to ask momoftwins here on tpf to use her photo of canvas up close to make a skin, one for the iPad, the other for the keyboard case.

i considered it, but i didn't think that it would provide enough protection with it being a sleeve. i wanted something that the ipad 'lived in' even when it was being used. i went to the apple store and got a michael kors case that zips all the way around and opens like a book.

I just saw your comment right above mine :smile:

I would consider it, BUT... I am very sensitive to copyright and not sure if taking the photo and making a case from it would violate LV's rights. If it would, then I would not do it. That said, we know it is ok to use a photo as a background or screen saver. I plan to do that with one of my photos.

Wonder how we could find out about the skin? I am leaning toward it not being allowed though without their approval, and I doubt they'd give it...

Jodi

I'm not going to do it, but I would love to - your photos capture the details and textures beautifully of canvas.

I know that skins of personal photographs can be made....and I've used some Disney Cars desktop wallpapers to make skins for my son's iPad. I have seen some desktop wallpapers with the LV symboling/monograms - but I don't think they were made by LV themselves.

Would there be infringement if a skin was made of someone holding a LV bag? What about if they were wearing designer clothes? Nudity is not allowed for the skins (at least from Zagg)...Just thinking "out loud" about where lines would be drawn...

^ By 'skin', you mean like an image profile for your iPad, right? Not a physical 'skin' made of plastic or whatever? I think if you own the item, you can do what you like with photos of it. In this case, the copyright lies with momoftwins because she took the photo, not LV.

Re. the iPad case, I would never buy one. I don't actually own an iPad, I'm waiting until the next release which I hope will be more of a major upgrade than it was from the first to second generation. However, I couldn't justify buying a case that costs more than half the price of the iPad itself, when it will sooner or later become obsolete because I'd be upgrading my device. Same goes for an iPhone case. I'd love one, but it doesn't make sense to me. Plus, the iPad case doesn't seem to offer any protection whatsoever.

Just got my iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago. IMO, I don't think it's worth getting a case for it because a new version of the iPad will come out next year. I wouldn't spend that kind of money just on a case that's half or more than half the price of the iPad.

^ By 'skin', you mean like an image profile for your iPad, right? Not a physical 'skin' made of plastic or whatever? I think if you own the item, you can do what you like with photos of it. In this case, the copyright lies with momoftwins because she took the photo, not LV.

Re. the iPad case, I would never buy one. I don't actually own an iPad, I'm waiting until the next release which I hope will be more of a major upgrade than it was from the first to second generation. However, I couldn't justify buying a case that costs more than half the price of the iPad itself, when it will sooner or later become obsolete because I'd be upgrading my device. Same goes for an iPhone case. I'd love one, but it doesn't make sense to me. Plus, the iPad case doesn't seem to offer any protection whatsoever.
Thanks for this post-I think you knocked some sense into me-I had posted in another thread about the new LV Ipad case coming out-it's supposed to be out in July and is about $700.00- so actually more than I paid for my Ipad 2.

that is a great point... interesting. I am gonna make an ipad screen saver/wallpaper. But should I do mono, ebene, cerises, mc mono, vernis, etc. :smile:

I'm not going to do it, but I would love to - your photos capture the details and textures beautifully of canvas.

I know that skins of personal photographs can be made....and I've used some Disney Cars desktop wallpapers to make skins for my son's iPad. I have seen some desktop wallpapers with the LV symboling/monograms - but I don't think they were made by LV themselves.

Would there be infringement if a skin was made of someone holding a LV bag? What about if they were wearing designer clothes? Nudity is not allowed for the skins (at least from Zagg)...Just thinking "out loud" about where lines would be drawn...