Investment pieces for 30+

Anything you pick concerning diamonds, i.e. TB, studs, hoops, necklace...pick a jeweler/online jeweler with an "upgrade" policy. Most people go through "diamond shrinkage" at some stage. After a few years you might want something with more carat weight or better quality. Trust me :graucho:
Aint that the truth! Mid-thirties and all the dainty pieces pre-kids just feel small, designer or not. Nowadays, before buying jewelry, I my mother to also try it on and only buy items that look good on the both of us - a substitute "test of time" so to speak.

Surprising items that ended up being less than forever:
John hardy slim naga ring - not so slim anymore, its just disproportionate now
VCA sweet necklace - bit too sweet, as Ive gotten salty with time
Cartier diamants legers - even the xl necklace was trop leger...
Cartier trinity cord bracelet
Cartier trinity ring
Hidalgo pink diamond band - it just sinks into my skin and disappears, its too skinny!

So, to second so much good advice from those who have already posted: just because its someone elses classic... if it doesnt speak to you, then it doesnt make sense to check off items from someone else's list! That being said, our own tastes and lifestyles will also change, so being comfortable with that is also important.

Good luck, OP!

I am 47, and I just adore the Danish brand Ole Lynggaard. His pieces are like work of art, inspired by nature and so original and beautiful!
I own several rings, but in these photos is my latest purchase in yellow, rose gold and diamonds.
ba51a3f37cfd88f58530a82f10099c58.jpg

796808e8f37e6e91a01e736608a05acd.jpg

If you already have diamond studs, I would buy diamond pendant. You can always layer it with other jewelry or wear it on it's own. Cartier love bracelet or Tiffany's bracelets are also great "forever" pieces. :idea:

Reactions: GPR
Everyone else gave such amazing advice that I really can’t add much except:

One is amazing, two is good, and three is the worst idea I’ve ever had.

In other words, one major mistake I’ve made over the years is thinking that because one thing worked well for me, I needed multiples.
I didn’t.
Just because a piece worked well for me doesn’t mean the everything brand makes will also work...

• A single strand gold and diamond necklace from Marco Bicego’s “Masai” line
  • Pomellato “m’ama non m’ama” huggie earrings come in a ton of colors
  • David Yurman torque bracelet
Just think “wearable” and you won’t go wrong

Tennis bracelet
Diamond studs
VCA 5 motif/10 motif
Cartier JUC or Love
Rolex/PP watch

I have exactly theses and I’m in my late 40s. Took about 7 years to accumulate. I started late.

I started with my diamond pieces first.
1. Totally agree with poster about largest studs you can afford and wear comfortably on a daily basis.
2. Settle in a good place with ering/wedding set. Probably done with upgrades.
3. Tennis bracelet - don’t wear much anymore but wouldn’t give it up.
4. Basic simple diamond solitaire pendant. Never have to take off.
5. Higher end branded pieces. Fallen in love with VCA. Generally I dress super clean and simple so you would think I would be a Cartier girl. But VCA has me soooo converted. I’m close to done with my VCA list for now.
6. Oh yes. One good watch. I got that before anything else, a two toned Rolex purchased in my 20s. Forever piece. My daughter will have that when she gets her first grown up job.

Of course all this would have to be what is most “you”. I never fell in love with pearls although most women love them. Some women have classic drop earrings or hoops. I was never comfortable with anything that dangled. So make it you. But find pieces that you can wear all the time and that you feel comfortable in. Good luck and have fun!

My style is very classic, agree with others that one should buy what makes them happy! My core jewelry collection I have had 10+ years and still love as much as the day I acquired:
Cartier tank watch
Cartier love bracelet
VCA Alhambra pendant
Diamond rings
Pearl stud earrings
Solitaire stud earrings

I sold all my David Yurman, Tiffany, and Hermes (enamel) stuff a while ago.

Hoping to get an Alhambra strand soon!

Great thread! I always wonder about this sort of thing. A lot has been covered, but here is my humble opinion.

Buy designs which you have seen worn in a lot of different time periods. A few examples might be the tiffany classic diamond solitaire, the cartier tank watch, diamond tennis bracelets etc. The classic designs have stood the test of time already, and are more likely to continue to be coveted.
There should be enough room for you to add a few pieces which express your own personality and flair. For example some minimal pieces or some extra bling pieces for nice occasions. We do change over the course of our lifetime, that is to be expected. If you love it, its worth it.

personally items in my collection which I think have stood up to my changing taste:
- white pearl studs with a high lustre with good backs
- round brilliant 4 claw diamond pendant
- TCo DBTY platinum stud earrings
- diamond tennis bracelet
- my wedding ring and engagement ring (lol I should hope so)

the scary part, the things that haven't:
- anything I bought from Swarovski haha (was a phase back in my 20s)
- some of my sterling silver pieces - some were cheap some not so cheap, I give them to my mum as birthday gifts haha, she loves them and they get some use

When I was younger I used to like really big pieces of bling. Now as I get older im happy with more minimalistic items. Also as I get older im more concerned with the supply chain, whether its destroying the planet etc.
Don't worry, everyones style does change with age. Some pieces you will still love your whole life, and others you wont. Growth and change is a part of being human.
Wishing you all the best xx

Graff is truly amazing... I have the diamond necklace in round 1 carat each stones... over 100 carats total... I thought I would wear this for life... Not my style anymore, but know that It will fetch a pretty penny if my 9 year old son has anything to do with it... I am hoping he will add to my collection and pass it down to the next generation. I am a man, and I think my son won't share the same appreciation, love and feel of luxury jewelry. He will probably will give it to the first girl he falls in love with, she will break his heart and keep the jewelry.... ugh !
"J!m"
So you have a 100ct necklace? I have never seen anything like that! My mom has a diamond tennis necklace and though beautiful it isn’t nearly 100cts! Please post pics!!!

Reactions: jimmie staton
I’ve been buying classics which I can wear daily - some studs and a bezel pendant in platinum and recently just rounded out my collection with a similar set in a slightly larger size but set in yellow gold for when I’m feeling a bit more luxe.

As for an “investment piece”, I’d love an emerald cut eternity band for daily wear when I get married. In the meantime I’m too sheepish to buy myself things for my fingers, hehe.

My views on jewelry have changed so dramatically as I age. Over the past year and a half, I've lost my mother and both grandmothers. My mother and her mother, particularly, loved jewelry -- and it has meant more than I can say to have received some of their pieces. Some of it, but not all of it, is fine jewelry and not all of it is "classic" (diamond studs, strands of pearls, VCA or Tiffany pieces etc) -- but all of it reflects their personalities. I can't tell you how much it means to me to put on the Mexican turquoise necklace that my grandmother wore on special occasions, to wear the simple emerald-cut ruby ring in 10K gold that my mother wore every day of my childhood, or to put on carved rose-quartz beads that my mother received from my grandfather on her 16th birthday.

When I buy jewelry now, I buy what I love & what I hope will last -- and I think of my daughter. I don't know what she'll like when she's an adult, but I hope to give her some similar feelings.

I guess what I'm saying is that to me, investment in jewelry is as much emotional as monetary. I think that's part of why I think it's so great if you can find pieces that you like AND that will serve you well in terms of wear/tear/financial return (and no judgment at all if those pieces are diamond studs, pearls, VCA etc). Jewelry is like a visual language and the people who love you will read it and remember. :smile:

My views on jewelry have changed so dramatically as I age. Over the past year and a half, I've lost my mother and both grandmothers. My mother and her mother, particularly, loved jewelry -- and it has meant more than I can say to have received some of their pieces. Some of it, but not all of it, is fine jewelry and not all of it is "classic" (diamond studs, strands of pearls, VCA or Tiffany pieces etc) -- but all of it reflects their personalities. I can't tell you how much it means to me to put on the Mexican turquoise necklace that my grandmother wore on special occasions, to wear the simple emerald-cut ruby ring in 10K gold that my mother wore every day of my childhood, or to put on carved rose-quartz beads that my mother received from my grandfather on her 16th birthday.

When I buy jewelry now, I buy what I love & what I hope will last -- and I think of my daughter. I don't know what she'll like when she's an adult, but I hope to give her some similar feelings.

I guess what I'm saying is that to me, investment in jewelry is as much emotional as monetary. I think that's part of why I think it's so great if you can find pieces that you like AND that will serve you well in terms of wear/tear/financial return (and no judgment at all if those pieces are diamond studs, pearls, VCA etc). Jewelry is like a visual language and the people who love you will read it and remember. :smile:

Absolutely lovely. I agree 100%.
My condolences for your losses. wishing you all the best xx