Intervention

I was telling my husband about that episode w/Cristy today. He doesn't watch the show. Anyway, IMO, Other than the drugs, I really think there was something wrong w/her to begin with? Just watching her as a child she seemed exceptionally hyper. I don't know, I mean, what about people that are ill to begin with and end up doing drugs? For example bi-polar? I know the drugs had everything to do with her actions but she was the worst case I think I've seen on that show. Throughout the intervention she was laughing.

I was telling my husband about that episode w/Cristy today. He doesn't watch the show. Anyway, IMO, Other than the drugs, I really think there was something wrong w/her to begin with? Just watching her as a child she seemed exceptionally hyper. I don't know, I mean, what about people that are ill to begin with and end up doing drugs? For example bi-polar? I know the drugs had everything to do with her actions but she was the worst case I think I've seen on that show. Throughout the intervention she was laughing.

Thats why rehab is just the beginning for people. Its like peeling away an onion. You can't get to the core without peeling away all the layers of crap that got you to that rock bottom place. Numbing yourself with drugs/alcohol/sex, whatever your addiction is, is just covering up something deeper that person does not believe they can face. Until they are released from that bondage, they are incapable of dealing with the core problem (ie; bi-polarism, childhood trauma, real mental illness, ADD, etc.) Rehab is not a cure all. Just a way to get clean so you can get down to the real nitty gritty.

A great book about rehab is Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes.

At the beginning of the book, you think she's fine, she doesn't need to be there and that her family is just overreacting. As the story progresses, you realize she's not fine, her family is reacting normally and that she really does need to be there.

Like Bagandshoo said about peeling the onion, the book goes into that.

I wondered the same--often something is there that leads people to alcohol or drug use to self-medicate. For example, they say "depressed alcoholic" is redundant--it's a vicious circle. The other issue is how much brain damage the drugs or alcohol can do--Cristy has done a lot of damage to her body and nervous system; some of it may be beyond repair, but I've seen remarkable examples of brain-damaged people getting sober.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know if I worded myself correctly and I didn't want people to take what I was saying the wrong way. We had a neighbor who was bi-polar and did a lot of cocaine - the last thing he needed but like you say he was self-medicating. Sadly, he had a heart attack at the age of 45 leaving 3 young kids. I didn't really know him that well but the first time I met him I knew there was something wrong with him, He was so hyper, constantly talking, etc.

Every time I watch an episode, I find myself:
1) practically praying the addicts will accept treatment
2) cheer when the epilogue shows something like, "He has been clean since February 21, 2006."

I've wondered...how do the people on the show NOT KNOW about the show? Meaning..its been on now for quite awhile..is it possible that there are that many people in crisis that do not know that they will be facing habilitation at the end of filming?

and another thing I've wondered...the people who refuse..why did they do the show anyway...do they get paid??

That's a really good question, never-enough-LV.
I got this stuff from A&E's website:

If you are chosen to participate you will be required to sign appropriate releases. Please remember that the person suffering from an addiction cannot know about the possible intervention or offer of treatment in order to insure the best chances for success.

I think, for the addicts, their lives are so consumed with their addictions and how to feed their habits, that they don't know a show like this exists. So when they're asked to be on a documentary about their dependence, they think it's just a documentary.

And I think they're asked just around the point when they're about to hit rock bottom.

Here's the website:
Intervention

The participants don't get paid, but the show does pay for the necessary treatment. (And the plane ticket and the transportation. The treatment is usually on the opposite coast.)

I watched the latest episode w/ the 23 yr old that was addicted to Oxycontin and it was such a tear jerker....when you watch this show, you want them to get clean so badly. Best of luck to those who have to struggle with the disease of addiction.

i love this show and everyone thinks im craZy for watching it, tehy cant stand to see all the stuff they show but i think its really interesting and i always hope sooo much they will get better!