Interesting shopaholic article

I agree, I think most people here are very careful with their purchases, compare prices, shop for bargains, etc.

I don't take these kinds of articles seriously, because they like to zero in on popular terms like "shopaholic" (terms which by the way, usually relate to women.)

Do we ever see articles on people who like to spend a lot of money on expensive dinners? One of these dinners equals what most of us would spend on a bag, and they do it several times a month.

How about the hundreds of dollars a month that some golfers spend on their hobby; fees, lunches, drinks, and a lot of them travel to golf, incurring traveling fees.

How about the amount of money men spend every month in clubs and bars, drinking with their buddies, or meeting their friends at a sports bar for drinks and pizza to watch the game?

It's all relative, and everyone has their thing. For some it's socializing, for others it sports, and for us it's bags.

Not to mention the money men spend on cars, televisions, audio equipment, games, sporting events, etc etc etc. I have a friend whose husband will NOT give up the hundreds of dollars spent every year on season tickets for the Seahawks, no matter how tight the budget is at home.

I agree, I think most people here are very careful with their purchases, compare prices, shop for bargains, etc.

I don't take these kinds of articles seriously, because they like to zero in on popular terms like "shopaholic" (terms which by the way, usually relate to women.)

Do we ever see articles on people who like to spend a lot of money on expensive dinners? One of these dinners equals what most of us would spend on a bag, and they do it several times a month.

How about the hundreds of dollars a month that some golfers spend on their hobby; fees, lunches, drinks, and a lot of them travel to golf, incurring traveling fees.

How about the amount of money men spend every month in clubs and bars, drinking with their buddies, or meeting their friends at a sports bar for drinks and pizza to watch the game?

It's all relative, and everyone has their thing. For some it's socializing, for others it sports, and for us it's bags.

That is true! Are there any articles about those other people? Probably not! But it's okay to put women down for what we like! NOT!
My DH spends tons of time playing World of Warcraft. Doesn't cost very much dollarwise, but it costs me in other ways. just sayin'

I totally agree ^^^ I like to shop but I do it within my means I don't use credit to buy my bags. I also see it as equal to what my husband spends on his hobbies, shopping is my hobby, one of them at least, and I'm sure most of you feel the same way. It's funny because my husband used to jokingly complain about how much more it costs to get my hair done than his, until I pointed out to him that he gets his cut like three times in the six weeks between my hair appts (he has to keep it pretty short for work) we actually spend almost the same. Lol mine is just in one pop so it seems like more, same with bags.

Ha, I was actually talking about this article with my husband last night. I only really have 1 sign, and that is remorse after a purchase. I did go through a bit of emotional abuse when I was younger and my mother believes that I should give her any extra money I have and not buy things, and when I do I am selfish. It took a long time to get away from that so sometimes I still feel a twinge of guilt when I make a large purchase. Other than that, who DOESN'T get feelings of excitement when they buy their new bag!? I certainly do, but it's not the REASON I shop. I don't shop to get that feeling, that feeling happens because I have a new beauty in my posession.

Not to mention the money men spend on cars, televisions, audio equipment, games, sporting events, etc etc etc. I have a friend whose husband will NOT give up the hundreds of dollars spent every year on season tickets for the Seahawks, no matter how tight the budget is at home.

LOL, I hear you. Men can spend a lot more than women, and no one thinks anything of it. Example is a couple I know. He has an expensive speed boat, sea doos, a jeep, golf cart, motorhome, two expensive pickups, motorcycle, and lots of expensive tools and machinery. Now these are not just one time expenses, they need to be maintained, and there's licenses to pay and insurance every year, etc.

Now what's funny is that she's the bread winner in the family with the good job, but when she spends $100 on an MFF Coach bag, he throws a tantrum because she "already has a purse, and it's ridiculous to spend $100 on a purse."

What a load of poop! I'm so sick of articles coming out about how consumerism is bad...and we are all shopaholics. Mind you there are some truly unique cases where an individual clearly has issue. For Example: Draining kids college fund to pay for a shopping habit or not being able to pay the mortgage due to spending sprees. That's a problem and That is NOT the average shopper. This article totally generalizes and I think sends some perfectly normal women into internal panic mode. Now a days....Everyone has a "problem"! We're all "emotionally disturbed"...we spent too much! We ate too much! We slept to much!!! Blah blah blah! I saw a handbag, I liked it, I bought it. I have 10 at home, but not one like this one.... So sue me! it doesn't make me nuts if it sits in my closet for a couple of weeks with the tags still on it... And I'm not a bad person if I felt a little guilty after I bought it, even though I knew I could afford it. ( I feel guilty ANY time I "treat" myself) BECAUSE of articles like this. Am I wrong to say most of the women on this forum work their BEE HINDS off?!? We already take less vacation time than we really should. Fill up our weekends with obligations and or take home work. If we are not raising children we are busy running the world. The world is stressed out to the max enough as it is about everything else. Filled with anxieties, pressures, responsibilities... Etc etc... Live a little... Buy your expensive handbag, drink your high calorie latte...and you know what, order the cake pop to go with it, because life deserves to be sweet.

valleydolldiva said:
What a load of poop! I'm so sick of articles coming out about how consumerism is bad...and we are all shopaholics. Mind you there are some truly unique cases where an individual clearly has issue. For Example: Draining kids college fund to pay for a shopping habit or not being able to pay the mortgage due to spending sprees. That's a problem and That is NOT the average shopper. This article totally generalizes and I think sends some perfectly normal women into internal panic mode. Now a days....Everyone has a "problem"! We're all "emotionally disturbed"...we spent too much! We ate too much! We slept to much!!! Blah blah blah! I saw a handbag, I liked it, I bought it. I have 10 at home, but not one like this one.... So sue me! it doesn't make me nuts if it sits in my closet for a couple of weeks with the tags still on it... And I'm not a bad person if I felt a little guilty after I bought it, even though I knew I could afford it. ( I feel guilty ANY time I "treat" myself) BECAUSE of articles like this. Am I wrong to say most of the women on this forum work their BEE HINDS off?!? We already take less vacation time than we really should. Fill up our weekends with obligations and or take home work. If we are not raising children we are busy running the world. The world is stressed out to the max enough as it is about everything else. Filled with anxieties, pressures, responsibilities... Etc etc... Live a little... Buy your expensive handbag, drink your high calorie latte...and you know what, order the cake pop to go with it, because life deserves to be sweet.

Well said!!!

:goodpost:

I LOVE cakepops! :biggrin::biggrin:

valleydolldiva said:

Amen! I absolutely love this

valleydolldiva said:

Hell yeah sista!!!

LOVE it.