Interesting shopaholic article

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. That was an interesting article. I find the 6% number hard to believe though. Unless just all 6% of us are here on tpf lol.

I wonder if they consider being a shopaholic a bad thing for everyone? I certainly exhibit alot of the "signs" they mention, but I do not have any financial problems in my life right now. Maybe I just have a moderate case or something haha.

2. The first four are me for sure. And I tried to replace shopping with the gym and ended up hiring a personal trainer so that didn't work LOL. ;)

3. #4 Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    "Remove temptation"

For me, I usually avoid the forum, and it works like a charm. I have abstained for as long as six months to a year from here, and it has been much easier to not be enabled. I am going to try to get to 6000 posts then stop, lol. I am totally on a ban right now. I can't stay on a ban and still post/view TPF!

4. There is a new show coming out, want to say it is on the Style network about shopaholics...one was a handbag addict. Said she would rather buy an LV than have $ex, LOL

5. Oxygen channel, starts in Oct. Can't wait to watch! They've been torturing me with the ads for it all summer while I have the TV on their Roseanne marathons during the day. :P

6. Yep, I'm all of them.

7. This is just wrong. If I get a new handbag I will feel like having sex. Win/win!

8. Lol! I think I have them all, even the one where I have hid stuff in my daughters closet! So embarrassing...

9. I'm safe. I get a thrill out of looking, and a thrill out of finding, but I don't have to buy.

Buying is kind of a pain: you have to bring it home and find a place for it and figure out how and when you are going to use it. I'd rather have the extra space unless it's something that I'll use a lot and enjoy.

I am contemplating my next bag (a big one) and I have figured out where to store it already. Still haven't pulled the trigger....

10. This is true! Staying away from this forum keeps me from buying purses. I stayed away from the forum for months earlier this year and didn’t buy a single bag. Only I missed out on hearing about the fuchsia Sophia, so it was a bit of a win-lose.

11. The irony of it all is the ads on the bottom of the page are for new credit cards. Yeah, that will help curb it. Lol. I can be a shopaholic but on a smaller level. My thrills come from getting the best bargain possible. :biggrin:

12. I'd say 1, 2 and sometimes 5 apply to me. I don't feel like I have to buy anything. I've passed on many a FOS or PCE if nothing appealed to me. But if I see a bag I love, I have a nearly impossible time saying no. It's causing me no financial hardship as I make a good living, live well within my means, have no kids to spend money on, no car pymt and only have 2 luxuries (vacations & bags)... and this year probably no vacation... so all that money got diverted to bags. (Oops, is that me justifying?)

Am I a shopaholic?

13. That could be me, but since I'm shopping at thrift stores primarily, it's really not a problem. My secondhand Coach purchases recently, consisting of five bags plus a briefcase (not to mention a Kate Spade and a Brighton) cost less than even one small new Coach bag. Plus I feel like I'm rescuing them. And, I can stop anytime. That's right, I can stop anytime.

14. Interesting article. I didn't feel like it marks me as a shopaholic though. I say the real tests are if you don't use what you buy and if you're stretching budgets to justify spending habits. I think everyone here is thoughtful about their purchases and probably aren't shopaholics. :smile: