Influencers and Hermes

In this generation, though, it's not just owning expensive items. It's showing off that one owns expensive items, unboxing them, posing for tons of photos in them, etc. I don't begrudge buying nice things for kids--I mean, I had some of that stuff, too--but I find it problematic to have the kid show it off

This sentiment is perfectly understandable. I felt the same way about Burberry when they shifted to streetwear and a more youthful look (emblematic of their logo change, illustrated below). I remember thinking, "this ain't my brand anymore."

View attachment 5966724

But hey, this is nothing new. On that 4-hour podcast posted, it talked about the OG Hermes brothers parting ways because one wanted to stick with saddle-making and wasn't interested in the other brother's vision of adapting the product line to the automotive revolution. Even adding zippers was novel and transformative! Brands have to adapt or die.

You're in a great position to foster new and talented artisans who may eventually become the new Hermes when H itself is no longer considered cool. That day will certainly come, as it does for every brand. I like H, but as customers we should all remember that it wouldn't survive without us walking around as its billboard. Ask not what you can do for Hermes, but what Hermes can do for you. :biggrin:For me personally, I sew some of my own clothes and other times I go out on a limb and design outfits for which I get fabric and then I then get tailored. I'd say 70% of my wardrobe is custom, another 20% is from small businesses, and I greatly appreciate the ability of H bags/accessories elevating those outfits. I'm like a cook who buys fancy plates to give the impression that the food tastes better than it may actually be, haha.

Anyway, I give anyone who wants to support bespoke bag makers a big thumbs up--it's being a trend maker, and not a trend follower! Let me know if you find any good brands. People here seem to be talking about Peter Nitz and sure enough, his stuff looks gorgeous.
I think a lot of the influencer bags are high quality dupes or at the very least, pre-owned. Very much like the highly filtered images of the influencers themselves, we are looking at a 2 dimensional image, not the actual bag. I also believe that many of these bags are heavily financed. To me, the idea of paying interest to a cc company for a handbag is both terrifying and ludicrous.

Yes, Nitz is the man.

There was a wonderful thread here a while back that I wish I'd screenshot. I must find it. There was a woman in Japan and a couple of others doing gorgeous work. What struck me were the skins they were using, e.g. Himalayan porosis looking an awful like H porosis, but for a far lower price.

Just for fun, I calculated what the cost would be today for the H peau d'elephant Kelly I bought in 1981. Bottom line: Hermès prices have astronomically outpaced inflation.

Reactions: LeahLVoes
EDIT: She said it was just short of 39K AUS
Gosh Hermes is so expenisve in Australia in comparision to other countries. Such beautiful bag 🤍but I could only watch the beginning. When she started to talk about how she was collector not a hoarder, I couldn't take it. Meredith has so much stuff piled up and squished literally to the rafters in a small spare average room and she does the same with makeuup too. It's too much! She does have beautiful bags though and that picnic bag is to die for.

Money talks, if you throw out a lot then you get big things in return.

I’m so happy for her, I guess there’ll be a picnic Kelly in the near future
There's not much evidence of 'big spend' on her youtube channel judging by her fairly modest reveals. A few ready to wear pieces here and there, scarves, belts, a couple of watches ... nothing out of the ordinary. Either she buys a lot which she doesn't reveal or she has a very generous SA! ETA she seems to spend more at LV.

There's not much evidence of 'big spend' on her youtube channel judging by her fairly modest reveals. A few ready to wear pieces here and there, scarves, belts, a couple of watches ... nothing out of the ordinary. Either she buys a lot which she doesn't reveal or she has a very generous SA! ETA she seems to spend more at LV.
Whilst there may not be a lot of hauls but 2-3 of them is enough if u quickly do the sums, each haul is about $10k. They are items that others don’t buy, like beach stuff (these are not cheap), the picnic cuff is already 2.2k, many silk scarves etc

She just gets her normal 2 Quota per year though. Considering her overall shopping I don't think she pouring it all in H just to get offers. It seems she has a very nice SA that made sure he was able to find something she liked by the end of the year (Her Celeste Kelly) to fill her quota. Plus she did say it's be top of her list for at least a couple of years.I'd keep a client like Meredith happy if I was her SA too...lol.

There's not much evidence of 'big spend' on her youtube channel judging by her fairly modest reveals. A few ready to wear pieces here and there, scarves, belts, a couple of watches ... nothing out of the ordinary. Either she buys a lot which she doesn't reveal or she has a very generous SA! ETA she seems to spend more at Lv

I wonder if MEL in melbourne will finally get her dream picnic birkin too…