I’m getting my Chanel bag painted!

So I'm not sure if you posted because you wanted all feedback or just positive feedback LOL but I'm going to have to completely disagree with the logic of it being "more fun to deface an expensive bag." I get it- I think it's like fun and cool to get some white Gucci loafers and dirty them up like it doesn't matter. I think, however, getting a bag painted (regardless of how talented the artist is), is a total insult to the fashion house. A huge reason why I believe Chanel has made it this far is its consistency in creating classic designs and gorgeous pieces for so many types of women, all while creating a market that allows the bag to retain and potentially increase in value. I think getting a bag painted is like doing graffiti on a beautifully constructed building, putting a bumper sticker on a rolls Royce or Lamborghini, etc. I think it's trying too hard and frankly just tacky.

I think whether you have all the money in the world or have no money and scrape together for a bag, anyone from any class can appreciate or at the very least acknowledge that in life there are investments and purchases. I think one of the beautiful things about collecting bags (especially classic flaps) is that it allows us acquire a gorgeous and fashionable item all the while holding and possibly increasing in value. Warren Buffet might even approve! That being said, by painting or "defacing" a bag, you are willingly making the decision to make your bag literally worth nothing (unless you can find someone in the market for your bag and butterflies). *I also don't agree with hot stamping unless its a very personal piece or decision*

Regardless of my opinion, I respect other people's decisions and if completely diminishing the value and statement that the fashion house has made with the gorgeous piece, I hope you truly love it. I actually LOVE butterflies and they play a significant meaning in my life- so I definitely think of all things I would get butterflies painted on my bag. I hope you are happy with the decision you make and I wish you all the best :smile: I hope my opinion doesn't offend you in any way, just being honest and wouldn't mind hearing your response if you have any.

So I'm not sure if you posted because you wanted all feedback or just positive feedback LOL but I'm going to have to completely disagree with the logic of it being "more fun to deface an expensive bag." I get it- I think it's like fun and cool to get some white Gucci loafers and dirty them up like it doesn't matter. I think, however, getting a bag painted (regardless of how talented the artist is), is a total insult to the fashion house. A huge reason why I believe Chanel has made it this far is its consistency in creating classic designs and gorgeous pieces for so many types of women, all while creating a market that allows the bag to retain and potentially increase in value. I think getting a bag painted is like doing graffiti on a beautifully constructed building, putting a bumper sticker on a rolls Royce or Lamborghini, etc. I think it's trying too hard and frankly just tacky.

I think whether you have all the money in the world or have no money and scrape together for a bag, anyone from any class can appreciate or at the very least acknowledge that in life there are investments and purchases. I think one of the beautiful things about collecting bags (especially classic flaps) is that it allows us acquire a gorgeous and fashionable item all the while holding and possibly increasing in value. Warren Buffet might even approve! That being said, by painting or "defacing" a bag, you are willingly making the decision to make your bag literally worth nothing (unless you can find someone in the market for your bag and butterflies). *I also don't agree with hot stamping unless its a very personal piece or decision*

Regardless of my opinion, I respect other people's decisions and if completely diminishing the value and statement that the fashion house has made with the gorgeous piece, I hope you truly love it. I actually LOVE butterflies and they play a significant meaning in my life- so I definitely think of all things I would get butterflies painted on my bag. I hope you are happy with the decision you make and I wish you all the best :smile: I hope my opinion doesn't offend you in any way, just being honest and wouldn't mind hearing your response if you have any.

There's a huge part of me that completely agrees with you, but the other part of me thinks that fashion houses lose the right to be insulted about me doing whatever the heck I want with my bag once I give them thousands of dollars for it.

I'm curious why you started this thread. You had to know what people were going to say. Why didn't you just wait until you had it painted and then show the result? I don't believe any artist would actually send you a mock-up that looks like clip art overlaid on a picture of a bag.

I disagree that adding some playful butterflies to a Chanel bag would insult the fashion house. Chanel has always been a little subversive and unexpected - Coco Chanel pioneered the use of jersey, an undesirable industrial fabric typically used for men’s underwear, as a dress fabric. She also disfavored jewelry made entirely of precious stones, saying "Costume jewellery isn’t made to provoke desire, just astonishment at most. It must remain an ornament and an amusement." Chanel is the only fashion house I've seen that creates purses made out of hula hoops, rockets, robots, life preservers, and milk cartons. How is that "consistency in creating classic designs?"

Sure, maybe the value of the bag will decrease. But not all of us buy purses to keep them pristine on our shelves, rotating them to preserve their resale value. I'm actually a little bit in awe of the wealthy women I've seen who are able to plunk a Birkin down on the floor of a restaurant or mothers who dare to use an Damier Azur Neverfull as a diaper bag. I think those ladies look far more luxurious than me (sadly, I barely use my bags for fear of wear and tear or color transfer) because luxury is meant to be used, handled, and enjoyed. Otherwise, it's not so much a luxury item that enriches our lives, as it is a museum piece.

Bri08 Great comments regarding using our luxury bags and making them a functional and chic part of our lives. This is the main reason why I continue to buy non-high end designers b/c of fear of bag. My goal in 2019 is shopping from my closet. I want to get full use out of my Chanel bags b/c I paid sooooo much $$$ for them.

In regards to OP, it's your bag. I've seen bags blinged out, painted with designs. There was a lady on YT that had here LV painte4d and it was really cute. I will try to find the video to share.

I disagree that adding some playful butterflies to a Chanel bag would insult the fashion house. Chanel has always been a little subversive and unexpected - Coco Chanel pioneered the use of jersey, an undesirable industrial fabric typically used for men’s underwear, as a dress fabric. She also disfavored jewelry made entirely of precious stones, saying "Costume jewellery isn’t made to provoke desire, just astonishment at most. It must remain an ornament and an amusement." Chanel is the only fashion house I've seen that creates purses made out of hula hoops, rockets, robots, life preservers, and milk cartons. How is that "consistency in creating classic designs?"

Sure, maybe the value of the bag will decrease. But not all of us buy purses to keep them pristine on our shelves, rotating them to preserve their resale value. I'm actually a little bit in awe of the wealthy women I've seen who are able to plunk a Birkin down on the floor of a restaurant or mothers who dare to use an Damier Azur Neverfull as a diaper bag. I think those ladies look far more luxurious than me (sadly, I barely use my bags for fear of wear and tear or color transfer) because luxury is meant to be used, handled, and enjoyed. Otherwise, it's not so much a luxury item that enriches our lives, as it is a museum piece.

I definitely agree with you, I think the fashion house is innovative but I also believe their bags are made in a purposeful way. Usually these bags add a particular element to an entire collection they are hoping to achieve. I believe in being able to use the bag as you'd like, I think someone should be able to enjoy and plunk their bag down wherever. I just think defacing it with art is a little tacky or foolish. Even if the bag looks incredible, I just personally don't agree with it because it compromises the original design.

There's a huge part of me that completely agrees with you, but the other part of me thinks that fashion houses lose the right to be insulted about me doing whatever the heck I want with my bag once I give them thousands of dollars for it.

Yeah I mean look, ultimately, I think everyone should be free to do what they want with their items. I truly hope anyone who gets their bag painted loves the bag afterwards and gets exactly what they wanted :smile: I am eager to see the final result. I just personally wouldn't do it nor do I think others should. However, I MORESO believe someone should do what makes them TRULY HAPPY.

Like, if I had some total jerk or abusive ex husband buy me a Himalayan Birkin, the smart thing might be to sell it but I'd probably be HAPPIER burning it and saying F the $. So to each their own LOL. I hope I wasn't insulting in any way, I just wasn't sure if the original poster wanted everyones opinions or just positive feedback. If she only wanted positive feedback then I have to apologize and wish her the best :smile: lol

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I think getting a bag painted is like doing graffiti on a beautifully constructed building.

Not sure if I’m reading this correctly, but are you comparing commissioned artwork to petty vandalism?

So I'm not sure if you posted because you wanted all feedback or just positive feedback LOL but I'm going to have to completely disagree with the logic of it being "more fun to deface an expensive bag." I get it- I think it's like fun and cool to get some white Gucci loafers and dirty them up like it doesn't matter. I think, however, getting a bag painted (regardless of how talented the artist is), is a total insult to the fashion house.

Maybe the people at Chanel will be insulted, but I mean, I don’t really care? Chanel got their money, and the bag is legally my property, so I can do with it as I please.

I should walk in to Chanel after I get my bag and see how many SAs look disgusted :lol:

This reminds me of when Nene Leakes (I think she’s one of the Real Housewives) painted her own Birkin with some catchphrases. People said she ‘disrespected’ Hermès by doing so :lol:

I'm curious why you started this thread. You had to know what people were going to say.

I started it because:

I thought a post about my Chanel purse would be relevant on Purseblog.

I’m actually enjoying the discussion this topic is creating.

I’m a big girl that can handle criticism.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread that didn’t begin with the words “New bag reveal!” or “Chanel quality is going downhill!”

I don't believe any artist would actually send you a mock-up that looks like clip art overlaid on a picture of a bag.

I know the mock-up is not the best, but I’ve seen enough of the artist’s work to get an idea of what the final product would look like.

Like, if I had some total jerk or abusive ex husband buy me a Himalayan Birkin, the smart thing might be to sell it but I'd probably be HAPPIER burning it and saying F the $.

You’ll be happy for like 10 minutes before you actually realized wtf you just did :lol:

Sell the bag and live like a queen. That’s the best revenge!

Looking forward to your end result! I think the pattern looks nice on your bag and makes the bag more fun and more YOU [emoji4] I don’t agree with people saying don’t do it because it’s a a-couple-of-thousands-dollar bag. Yes it has been a beautiful bag that everyone can buy from the market and now you are going to make it your art and your one and only! Plus, I’m sure we all have had regrets on buying certain things (not just bags), but so what, we keep buying anyways... [emoji13]
Good luck my dear and please make sure you get a good painter!

Reactions: the_comfortista