Ill. students Lose Diplomas Over Cheers

Quote:
Don't they have bigger problems to be concerned about than people cheering for graduates?
Exactly what I was thinking!!

Here is the bigger problem the administrators are concerned about:

We have made a request. The purpose of that request is to ensure that everyone in attendance is respected. If you choose not to comply with that request, there will be consequences.

It is perhaps the last teachable moment for that person as a high school student. Maybe it is an ugly refresher for others.

I have to agree. The parents and guests were asked not to cheer and yell and otherwise disrupt the ceremony, but they chose to do so anyway. What's so difficult about respecting the rules? However I also agree that it seems a bit unfair to "punish" the student, who has no control over the behavior of her/his guests.

High school is so...stupid. I think that not receiving your diploma due to other people CHEERING you are is very senseless!!! Who the heck decides these kinds of things? They need to get over it and move on.

I remember they had all of these stupid rules and getting treated like a child.

I just wasn't the type that really liked to ASK to use the restroom and stuff like that.

The parents and guests were asked not to cheer and yell and otherwise disrupt the ceremony, but they chose to do so anyway. What's so difficult about respecting the rules? However I also agree that it seems a bit unfair to "punish" the student, who has no control over the behavior of her/his guests.
I completely agree with this. Also, I don't think the student should have been "punished" at all, especially with jeapordizing(sp?) their future academic career by withholding their hard worked for diplomas.