Ill. students Lose Diplomas Over Cheers

That is ridiculous. The student earned the diploma, and the school has NO right to not present it to them.

I smell a lawsuit coming.

The diploma is a keepsake. If the student has met all the requirements for graduation, they receive documentation for such-like a transcript.
Participation in the graduation ceremony is a privilege, not a right.

A student in my school district was denied the right to participate because she broke the dress code. Instead of clearing her choice of apparel under the gown, she wanted to wear pants, prior to the ceremony, she just showed up. Wasn't allowed in the line up. She had to watch from the audience. BTW- she wasn't denied her diploma either, she got it after the ceremony like eveyone else. Lesson learned- there is an appropriate way to get what you want.

Quote:
Don't they have bigger problems to be concerned about than people cheering for graduates?
Exactly what I was thinking!!

Here is the bigger problem the administrators are concerned about:

We have made a request. The purpose of that request is to ensure that everyone in attendance is respected. If you choose not to comply with that request, there will be consequences.

It is perhaps the last teachable moment for that person as a high school student. Maybe it is an ugly refresher for others.

wow really? how interesting. all the places/etc i've dealt with usually request an official copy of my transcript instead... which i suppose is a lot more invasive than a diploma. -_-

When I applied to colleges, I had to send in my transcripts along with a certified copy of my original high school diploma once I graduated. I've only had to give out my transcript maybe 2 or 3 times since I've graduated (2003).

I have worked in several high schools over the last 14 years. Graduation is always stressful.

The request for everyone to hold their cheers, etc. is quite simple. It comes from observing persons who do not know how to gauge what is appropriate. If everyone applauds after each grad, these things stretch out forever. This group needs to outdo the noise from the last group. Noise keeps the next student from getting their 10 seconds of recognition. As a result we have been forced to ask that everyone hold their congratulations until everyone has been recognized.
i completely understand your POV. Noisy people can completely disrupt and ruin a ceremony. But why does the student have to suffer? How can she control who yells when she comes on stage? Maybe people yelled whom she didn't even invite.

This absolutly ridicioulus! A family should be able to cheer for their students. Not to mention why punish the student who has no control over what others do?

Wow, that is absolutely ridiculous. I understand trying to keep things quiet and to keep the ceremony moving along, but give me a break. There are bigger things to worry about. The students shouldn't have to suffer. Sounds like the school doesn't have their priorities straight at all.

Today I recently graduated high school *does happy dance* ,anyways I think that rule is stupid. There were 300 people in my year,and I must say there was ALOT of screaming(I understood this),but something which I felt was VERY obnoxious,and stupid,some people brough blow horns,blowing into them really loud. Are the horns REALLY neccesary?,its worst enough it took place at 9am.

I understand the school trying to make this a nice event for everyone, my school also requested no shouting, and I have to say, when people did everyone looked and glared at them! It made for a much nicer and enjoyable ceremony to NOT have the screaming. At the same time, who really cares! Give the students their stupid diplomas and be done with it! No need to turn this into a media mess!

The diploma is a keepsake. If the student has met all the requirements for graduation, they receive documentation for such-like a transcript.
Participation in the graduation ceremony is a privilege, not a right.

A student in my school district was denied the right to participate because she broke the dress code. Instead of clearing her choice of apparel under the gown, she wanted to wear pants, prior to the ceremony, she just showed up. Wasn't allowed in the line up. She had to watch from the audience. BTW- she wasn't denied her diploma either, she got it after the ceremony like eveyone else. Lesson learned- there is an appropriate way to get what you want.

I disagree, if you've earned your credits to graduate, you've earned the right/privilege to attend your graduation ceremony.

And not being able to wear pants to a graduation ceremony? Having to clear it beforehand? Sheesh. Isn't it 2007 now where women are allowed to wear pants?

Wow that is kind of extreme, I remember when I graduated high school, they told us not to throw our Caps in the air when done, the principal said, we would have to pay and they would not give us our diplomas for another week. We looked at him as if he were crazy. I guess by the end of the ceremony he was so emotional, (he know alot of us by name) he said "Fine, you all can throw them, just return a hat it doesn't have to be yours. I agree you cannot control people cheering for you, some do take it to far though, blowhorns ???

I think the schools is acting how they said from the begining they were going to. I think that alll that is being argued over is a piece of paper not the students actual achivement.

This seems like the most idiotic thing in the free world. And that whole no white children's diplomas were held even though they were cheered for, too due to the "amount of disruption" at the time the name was called is lame. If white children were cheered for, their diplomas need to be held, too. Period.

But it all seems so useless to discuss. Even without the racist overtones, the whole thing just sounds so stupid. The people calling out names aren't a machine recording, I'm sure. If whoever calling out names was too GD stupid to wait until the cheering dies down before calling out the next name, then he or she is the one who has a problem and is the one who has done something wrong--NOT those children.

For shame. These administrators didn't have anything better to do?