Ignes-new for me-need help to decide

bonniekir

O.G.
Feb 8, 2007
I just today was browsing through the forum and found Ignes!!:tup:
I like the Sofia and I understand it comes in mini, midi and "normal". The "normal" sized is rather large, so I wonder if the midi (size?) can fit a laptop in it?? Will the bag "slouch" or keep the shape? Is it possible to get it with a strap?
I'm sure I can find more questions, so pls be patient!
I have tried to look through the enormous amount of posts :wtf:, and I think (?) the Sofia is for me, since I prefer casual bags.
But other suggestions are wellcomed.

Hi bonniekir!!! I am so happy to see you here!!! As a quick aside, I owe you a PM ~ I have not forgotten!!! :shame:

The Sofia line is categorized as "unstructured"; this said, I don't think this style bag will serve you well to carry a laptop compared to the Francis (large bag, I know, although this is specifically a laptop bag) or Ormala (large as well, yet incredibly stylish!!). The Ormala comes in a smaller size, which may not be big enough to carry a laptop.

What size is your laptop? Are you interested in a larger-sized bag that will double as carrying your laptop AND your other handbag contents? This will eliminate the need to carry a laptop bag and handbag.

Ignacio, one of Ignes co-owners, is very happy to make modification for us that make our bags easier to use. I have increased strap drops and added detachable/adjustable messenger straps. Others have added exterior pockets. Some have changed the flat-strap handles to rolled handles.

One may order the Sofia in structured leathers or leathers that are reinforced to maintain their shape. Or, in contrast, one may order this style in leathers that will puddle, as some clearly prefer this aesthetic.

Something to consider about the Sofia, it's top opening is narrower than the bottom width of the bag; this said, I don't believe its style is conducive to carrying a large rectangular object such as a laptop. When this bag is constructed, its front and rear upper center portions are stitched to create the inverted pleat this bag is known for (once its top is gathered).

attachment.php

Check out photos of Sofia bags here: http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/ignes-sofia-pics-350917.html

If you have any questions, please ask!!!

As a reference tool, check out the links on the first page of our latest discussion thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/ignes-bags-the-discussion-continues-347484.html

Thanks drsk!
Very nice to see the difference of the Sofia models-I'm more and more sure of the the "midi" size.
Thanks for the info of the shape-I would not have guessed it to be more narrow at the top!
So all depends on the choise of leather type whether it puddles or not -and I guess this is possible to choose within a certain price range.
Of the two other bags you mentioned , which is the lightest to carry?? I'm thinking in addition with a laptop? I have two sizes of laptops-not neccesarily taken with me all the time, but I like to be able to :smile:))
I think it so neat to decide so much on the design of a bag!
( oh yes, our "saga"-looking forward for your PM-when you have time!)

I don't know the weight differences between the Ormala and Francis b/c I don't have those bags. However, the Sofia is not an overly heavy bag, but that really depends on the leather chosen. If you prefer the look of the Sofia, I'd do that esp. if you don't plan on carrying the laptop all the time.

bonniekir, I :love: your new avatar ~ GORGEOUS specimen!!! :girlsigh: I apologize again and again for falling way behind in our PM communication ~ thank you for being so patient with me!!! :ty:

First of all, you will receive a tPF 1st-Time Buyer Incentive promo and complimentary shipping, I believe. Your modifications are included, and the price is the price per design regardless of the leather you select.

Excellent question about which is lightest between the Ormala and Francis. I do not own either so I honestly have no idea. Ignacio can answer this for you.

Tarantino expects her Francis any day now and lionlaw has the Ormala ~ hopefully both will chime in and share their thoughts about their respective Ignes bags.

The weight difference between an ormala and sofia are negligible. I posted the weights on one of the threads.

I would NOT put a laptop in a sofia. The bottom is not reinforced enough in my opinion to hold the weight. The sofia is not a structured bag like the ormala and will puddle. All of my sofias puddle (just some leathers do more than others).

Just my two cents.

bonniekir, here are the weights from lionlaw:

Ok, someone asked abut the weight of my bags (can't remmeber who- sorry).

Here you go:

Ormala-- 2 pounds 9.5 ounces
Sofia-- 2 pounds 13-14 ounces (depending on leather
Midi-sofia 2 pounds 5 ounces (patent leather)

Wow, great info-thank you all for the helpful answers!
I've got a lot to consider now.
I'll wait and see the Ormala and Francis before anything final.

dsrk-thank you so much for your compliment! -My BBgirl is a real beauty-her coat is like thick plush. She's a Grasland, and a very feisty one as well :boxing:-haha. But such a faithful and thrustworthy dog is hard to find. I have learned so much from her, so I'm thrilled we rescued her.

Last edited: