If you took an accounting class, did you hate it?

May 7, 2007
I have to take 3 accounting classes for my major. Problem is, I just cant grasp it. I hate it with a passion. I just don't understand it.

I'm still in accounting I. I studied so much for our first exam and I still ended up failing it. It was 24 pages long! I'm such a slow test taker.

Did anyone have the same problem and managed to pass somehow?:wondering

My major when I started uni was accounting and took a bunch of accounting classes.

For the speed thing, you need to practise practise practise until you can do it without thinking about the steps. Trying to remember the steps while dealing with the numbers is going to slow you down so much.

Talk to your prof, see if there is anything you can do to pick up marks elsewhere which can balance out your exam marks and help you pull off a pass in the course.

Good luck!

I hated it. I felt like the Prof was teaching one thing and we were tested on something totally different. What helped me pass accounting courses were previous exams. You should ask around to see if you can get a hold of the previous semester's exam or previous year's exam. For me, most questions were very similar, sometimes identical, only using different numbers. I basically studied/memorize exams instead of studying from text book, notes, or practice questions. Good Luck

I had to take financial accounting- I was horrible at it. I used to study for hours and hours and I would still fail every test. I was happy to get a C in the class!

I know how you feel. I am currently taking an introductory accounting class and I absolutely loathe it! I took the same accounting class last semester but I ended up dropping it because the teacher was so awful. Even though I learned a little bit last semester, it's still a very tough class for me. I got a C on my first exam and I considered myself so lucky.

I'm an accounting and finance major and I have to stay it truly is something you get, or don't. Some people hate it, some love it. I love it but like the finance side more so then the accounting.
My suggestion is do a ton of problems, read through the steps while you do them until you can do them with out thinking about the steps. It's work but it's worth it.
If this is your major and you're having this many problems with it I suggest you change your major :smile:

I hated accounting (took I & II...had to), but I passed. I'm NOT a slow test taker. my biggest problem was the spreadsheets (done by hand in a ledger). I got a different number each time I added up the columns...ugh! I was friends with someone who lived near me & was an accounting major. I asked for her help on occasion (homework, projects, etc), & she would find the problem in about 20 seconds. I think that's how I passed.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I'm taking accounting now for the SECOND time (failed first) and will have to take a second class after this. The best I've come up with is just showing the professor you're really trying. Don't miss any classes. hand in all assignments, ask for extra credit

Yes I had Accounting I and II (for 2 years) in university and I usually fell asleep during classes... I hate it too. I learned a bit of accounting through my first job working as back office in mutual funds management , but I don't remember a single thing from classes, I don't know how I managed to pass the exams and get my degree. Divine intervention perhaps...

I've had accounting in business school and now in university and I liked it a lot. Even thought about applying a job for that area after all the school years.
But now when I had almost last finance course last semester - suddenly I don't know anything about the subject anymore! Teachers are failing me on the oral exam and even said that I could not answer to what fixed and variable costs are right! :blah: I've been emailing now to the dean etc. to get me at least pass the course because it's so ridiculous!!

but after all this :sad: I just hate accounting.. hopefully I get a job where I don't need to do anything that's familiar with that subject.

Last edited:
I took it. Failed my exam. Dropped it. I think I am going to change my major simply because I CANT DO ACCOUNTING. I dont know what it is but I just CANNOT grasp it.