If you took an accounting class, did you hate it?

I took Business Calc the semester before and made an A. Hell, I even got a 96 on my final exam. I BARELY squeaked out a B for Financial Acctg. He rounded up a couple of points to give me an 80. I just didn't get how he was teaching it, and when you'd ask a question, he'd make you feel like a dumbass. The avg grade was like 65 or something. I'd think as a prof, that would give you a clue that perhaps you might need to take some more time to get the ideas across.
I guess I enjoyed the material, but didn't like the class.

hmmm . . . accounting was one of my majors, so yes, i took many accounting classes, but no, i did not hate it . . . (^(oo)^)

the trick to studying for accounting exams is practice problems. it's absolutely no use reviewing your notes or rereading the text - you *have* to do the problems, as many as possible; i knew some people who would do all the ones in the book and then ask the professor for extras if no practice exam was provided.

it's all about the law of large numbers; the nature of accounting is such that there are only so many variations in how you apply the rules; if you do enough problems you will see them all, which means you will know how to deal with them if they show up on the exam.

HTH! (^(oo)^)v

I hated accounting. I did well in the class but I'm just not a numbers girl. I definitely had to put more effort in studying the material than I did in the majority of my other classes.

WOW , thanks guys! I dont feel alone. Everyone had great advice. I used to just focus 90% of studying on reading the text book and reading my notes. I will keep practicing the problems.

Good News, PROF said he might drop the lowest grade! I hope I pass the next exams..

It also helps if you join a study group or get a tutor. I did better in my accounting classes because of this, along with reviewing practice tests and doing extra homework problems.

I absolutely hated accounting. Made it through half a semester before realizing that the business world was not for me..I'm just too stupid for number crunching. Dropped the class and changed majors.

I absolutely hate it! It's really repetitive and boring! It especially sucks when you're professor is incredibly boring also...

But as much as I hate accounting, I chose it as my minor. I'm pursuing a bachelor's in business marketing. I think entering any business field with a little bit of an accounting background helps!

WOW , thanks guys! I dont feel alone. Everyone had great advice. I used to just focus 90% of studying on reading the text book and reading my notes. I will keep practicing the problems.

Good News, PROF said he might drop the lowest grade! I hope I pass the next exams..

With ANY class dealing with math, repetition is key, so you have to do the problems so you can experience every possible scenario.

I'd talk with the prof about giving you some extra practice problems, then set up a study group with him and have him review the process and results with the group.

hmmm . . . accounting was one of my majors, so yes, i took many accounting classes, but no, i did not hate it . . . (^(oo)^)

the trick to studying for accounting exams is practice problems. it's absolutely no use reviewing your notes or rereading the text - you *have* to do the problems, as many as possible; i knew some people who would do all the ones in the book and then ask the professor for extras if no practice exam was provided.

it's all about the law of large numbers; the nature of accounting is such that there are only so many variations in how you apply the rules; if you do enough problems you will see them all, which means you will know how to deal with them if they show up on the exam.

HTH! (^(oo)^)v

I have an MS in Accounting. I agree with the advice above.

I also think it would be helpful to read the material before the professor goes over it, so you at least have some idea of the concepts before he starts. When he goes over it , it will be the second time you've seen it and you'll have a better chance of understanding/remembering it.

I always liked accounting because --at least in the entry level classes --there isn't any room for interpretation or opinion. It is learning the rules and applying them.

Good luck!

I took accounting I a few years ago and hated it! Not matter how much I tried I just could not get it. I ended up dropping the class and the last second.

I agree with the poster who suggested a tutor. If you think it would help, I would get a study group together a few times a week.

Good luck!

I am required to take accounting as well! We did some introductory accounting in my freshman year, but now that I'm a sophomore, it's one semester of financial accounting & another semester of managerial accounting. Financial accounting was all right. Managerial accounting is a huge bore. Accounting in general is just not my forte... I'm a business student that hates dealing with math, hah.