I yelled at a random guy for man-handling my bag: What's your worst/funniest chanel story?

Kisa

paper or plastic?
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
I had a funny idea for a thread today while traveling: What's the worst/craziest thing a random passerby or person has done accidentally or intentionally to your bag?

Many times I've noticed inconsiderate strangers bump into my bags, or press into them while trying to queue etc. One guy even scratched one of my lambskin bags with a giant ring, just because he couldn't back off in a line and was aggressively gesturing. It's annoying, but I figure it's the risk of wearing these expensive bags.

But today was another thing altogether, and I'm left wondering: Am I crazy? Would you do the same? Have you done the same or similar? :biggrin:

I was traveling with my lambskin urban spirit backpack. It wrinkles pretty easily, but I thought it will be fine because I can keep it at my feet and put my duffle bag into the bulkhead. Unfortunately I accidentally booked an exit row for a small leg of my journey, and the flight was full. I put my duffle into the bulkhead, and asked the flight attendant if I have to put my purse up too - she said yes, so I put it carefully onto the coat of the passenger beside me (with his permission) and the flight attendant closed the bulkhead because it was full.

A middle aged guy and his wife board the plane later complaining that the bulkheads are full. Of course they open my bulkhead. What do I see? This guy grabs my Chanel and starts smashing it into the bulkhead on top of somebody else's carry on. I just stood up and said "No. No, no no. Stop." :shocked: This guy was so shocked. I think everybody for 6 rows around was just staring at me. I couldn't believe he thought it was acceptable to grab an unknown woman's purse and just move it like that. I had to take my carry-on down to try to fit the purse inside it, and while I was doing this, he tried to put his carry on into my spot - but that's another story. :biggrin: I felt awful after this, but it had to be done to save the Chanel. What's the funniest/worst interaction you've had with somebody who just doesn't understand handbags?

Any bag i need to baby, i wouldnt put into overhead bins, which are accessible to everyone flying and is considered shared space. I think if it's in the overhead bin, people tend to try and cram their carryon that doesn't fit under seat. So something that you are afraid of others touching probably shouldn't have been up there.

Yikes! Sorry that happened. If I were you, I would shy away from delicate bags and perhaps tke something easier to use and more durable. People don't see the value we see in our bags, so I think its best to be wary of them and take pre-cautionary measures to make sure nothing happens to them.

Reactions: LLC and janellec
I feel your pain. Most men and even a lot of women doesn’t understand how we feel about our handbags.

One time my husband had to get into my closet for the plumber or something along that, and he thought it would be appropriate to take all my handbags ( including my 4 Chanel bags and three Chanel wallets) and throw them all over the floor, instead of nicely laying them on our bed. When I walked in and my accessories were everywhere, well, let’s just say, he now treats my bags with a little more respect.

There was one incident when I was at the chanel boutique trying on bags. The SA that first attended me left to get another bag for me to see and another SA came and put her hands on my classic flap jumbo saying can I keep this bag. I told her this jumbo is my bag. She quickly get her hands off my jumbo and apologise.

I had a funny idea for a thread today while traveling: What's the worst/craziest thing a random passerby or person has done accidentally or intentionally to your bag?

Many times I've noticed inconsiderate strangers bump into my bags, or press into them while trying to queue etc. One guy even scratched one of my lambskin bags with a giant ring, just because he couldn't back off in a line and was aggressively gesturing. It's annoying, but I figure it's the risk of wearing these expensive bags.

But today was another thing altogether, and I'm left wondering: Am I crazy? Would you do the same? Have you done the same or similar? :biggrin:

I was traveling with my lambskin urban spirit backpack. It wrinkles pretty easily, but I thought it will be fine because I can keep it at my feet and put my duffle bag into the bulkhead. Unfortunately I accidentally booked an exit row for a small leg of my journey, and the flight was full. I put my duffle into the bulkhead, and asked the flight attendant if I have to put my purse up too - she said yes, so I put it carefully onto the coat of the passenger beside me (with his permission) and the flight attendant closed the bulkhead because it was full.

A middle aged guy and his wife board the plane later complaining that the bulkheads are full. Of course they open my bulkhead. What do I see? This guy grabs my Chanel and starts smashing it into the bulkhead on top of somebody else's carry on. I just stood up and said "No. No, no no. Stop." :shocked: This guy was so shocked. I think everybody for 6 rows around was just staring at me. I couldn't believe he thought it was acceptable to grab an unknown woman's purse and just move it like that. I had to take my carry-on down to try to fit the purse inside it, and while I was doing this, he tried to put his carry on into my spot - but that's another story. :biggrin: I felt awful after this, but it had to be done to save the Chanel. What's the funniest/worst interaction you've had with somebody who just doesn't understand handbags?

I just showed both your stories to my husband and he was like "you would have flipped out." I get that not everyone appreciates Chanel for the amazingness that it is, but no one should be touching anyone's property without their permission regardless. And don't even get me started on people who don't respect personal space :mad: haha

Yes totally! I once had my Jumbo with me on a city trip, so at the airport I had to put it through a scanner obviously. For some reason, my Chanel wallet always sets off the scanner so there it went in a seperate row to be checked extra. While waiting, a security guard was waiting with my bag to give it to his colleague who had to check it, and while waiting with the bag he was just turning the lock back and forwards out of boredom! I totally told him off (not only is it super annoying, he is absolutely not allowed to touch the lock without my permission either! I was also walking on the sidewalk with my new grey m/l when a bicycle decided it had to go around other bicycles via the sidewalk and hit my bag HARD in the process. I will not repeat my language! :-s:panic: The bag was fine though!

I feel your pain. Most men and even a lot of women doesn’t understand how we feel about our handbags.

One time my husband had to get into my closet for the plumber or something along that, and he thought it would be appropriate to take all my handbags ( including my 4 Chanel bags and three Chanel wallets) and throw them all over the floor, instead of nicely laying them on our bed. When I walked in and my accessories were everywhere, well, let’s just say, he now treats my bags with a little more respect.

OMG. And with a plumber working there as well that could have been an expensive tragedy. Glad you gave him an earful. I woke up in the morning once to discover my boyfriend had come home after a night out, and carefully unfastened and removed the strap from my boy bag. I to this day have no idea why he decided this was a good activity. I guess he was having a Lagerfeld moment trying to make a Boy clutch.

Any bag i need to baby, i wouldnt put into overhead bins, which are accessible to everyone flying and is considered shared space. I think if it's in the overhead bin, people tend to try and cram their carryon that doesn't fit under seat. So something that you are afraid of others touching probably shouldn't have been up there.

I know, but I had to put it up there because I had the exit row! I never select the exit row or front row for this reason, but this time there was a double exit row and it wasn't marked on the seating map. I was flying BA and even when you fly with them in business class you have to put everything up because their club seats have no storage, but this time I thought I had it covered with my seat selection - NOPE! :biggrin:

Yikes! Sorry that happened. If I were you, I would shy away from delicate bags and perhaps tke something easier to use and more durable. People don't see the value we see in our bags, so I think its best to be wary of them and take pre-cautionary measures to make sure nothing happens to them.

Good idea! Even when I try to take precautions there's always the unexpected. I don't think I will travel with a lambskin bag again. :biggrin:

I carry my bags with their dust-bags when I travel. My boyfriend used to think I was crazy, but now he's gotten used to it and is the first to shove a bag I leave lying around into a dustbag, just in case. I also think that now that he knows what they cost, he feels emotionally invested in ensuring they last as long as possible. :smile:

Hahaha! CHEERS! I also carry the dust bag, and I had the dustbag this time too. I took it out and put it in the dust bag again before landing so that it would be protected. Your bf sounds great and very sweet. Mine is coming around to be mindful of bags now as well.

Reactions: Holliwood
There was one incident when I was at the chanel boutique trying on bags. The SA that first attended me left to get another bag for me to see and another SA came and put her hands on my classic flap jumbo saying can I keep this bag. I told her this jumbo is my bag. She quickly get her hands off my jumbo and apologise.

Oh my - you mean she was trying to buy it? People are desperate to get their hands on the classics in store I guess! Literally!

I just showed both your stories to my husband and he was like "you would have flipped out." I get that not everyone appreciates Chanel for the amazingness that it is, but no one should be touching anyone's property without their permission regardless. And don't even get me started on people who don't respect personal space :mad: haha

Thank you! I felt a little crazy - but not just about him manhandling my bag, more like why is this random stranger moving my most personal item? I had a bf once who brought his travel cash in a small carry-on and the flight attendants moved it to make more space. Another passenger took that bag, containing a watch documents and about 3000€. Not the brightest idea to travel with 3000€ cash in a carry on bag but still. The bag was later located in the airport emptied of the cash and watch.

Yes totally! I once had my Jumbo with me on a city trip, so at the airport I had to put it through a scanner obviously. For some reason, my Chanel wallet always sets off the scanner so there it went in a seperate row to be checked extra. While waiting, a security guard was waiting with my bag to give it to his colleague who had to check it, and while waiting with the bag he was just turning the lock back and forwards out of boredom! I totally told him off (not only is it super annoying, he is absolutely not allowed to touch the lock without my permission either! I was also walking on the sidewalk with my new grey m/l when a bicycle decided it had to go around other bicycles via the sidewalk and hit my bag HARD in the process. I will not repeat my language! :-s:panic: The bag was fine though!

What did the security guard say when you told him off? I probably would have been too shy to say something in that situation, good for you for telling him off! I had a similar situation once when a security guard wanted to check my Gucci Dionysus and couldn't figure out how to open it so he just started trying to yank it open.

Glad you were ok and the bicycle avoided hitting you, but damn I would have been furious.

Last thanksgiving i was at my sisters house and my whole family was there along with her in laws. I had put my maxi on top of some blankets in a basket she keeps in a corner of her living room thinking it would be safe. Well my sisters father in law comes in, walks over to that corner, lifts up my purse, puts it on the floor, and throws his jacket on top of the basket. And walks away. My husband was sitting in the living room and watched that whole thing go down and turned to me like :amazed: His reaction actually made me burst out laughing.

My 9 month old enjoys pulling my bag down from the sofa and climbing on top of it like it's Everest. He dad just sits watches laughs and congratulates her for being clever and determined. I come into the room fake yelling lifting her up and pulling her away. So she thinks it's a game now :S
Those overhead bins r a free for all and I try not to put my handbags up there.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
People always bump into my Chanel bags in pubic [emoji37] they hit them pretty hard and don't even say "sorry" or "excuse me." I just give them the death glare haha. And when I first started dating my boyfriend, he pinched my lamb maxi flap at the top to carry it. I told him you can't pinch Chanel bags bahah

Hmmm... I think the worst is when friends or family move my bag-because I allow them to- but as they move, let's say my m/l flap, they SQUEEZE it to pick it up... I don't say anything but in my mind I'm praying they don't crease or bend the flap.
another story: I was purchasing my pink chevron mini and I put it on the counter in the boutique and a woman comes by and picks it up. the SA was actually the one to tell her that I was purchasing it. lol.

I carry my bags with their dust-bags when I travel. My boyfriend used to think I was crazy, but now he's gotten used to it and is the first to shove a bag I leave lying around into a dustbag, just in case. I also think that now that he knows what they cost, he feels emotionally invested in ensuring they last as long as possible. :smile:
ditto. i had a chanel tote (baby pink color) with me in the airport wrapped in its dustbag and when it went through the x-ray machine the chains set off the alarms. the security officer took the dustbag, opened it up and pulls out my chanel tote and starts handling it like it was just any bag:amazed: he was playing with the chains for quite some time - not sure why he thought they were dangerous but he ran the bag back through the machine on the dirty conveyor belt, twice. i was watching it go through and the chains do look dangerous - they illuminate the screen completely.