I yelled at a random guy for man-handling my bag: What's your worst/funniest chanel story?

I had a funny idea for a thread today while traveling: What's the worst/craziest thing a random passerby or person has done accidentally or intentionally to your bag?

Many times I've noticed inconsiderate strangers bump into my bags, or press into them while trying to queue etc. One guy even scratched one of my lambskin bags with a giant ring, just because he couldn't back off in a line and was aggressively gesturing. It's annoying, but I figure it's the risk of wearing these expensive bags.

But today was another thing altogether, and I'm left wondering: Am I crazy? Would you do the same? Have you done the same or similar? :biggrin:

I was traveling with my lambskin urban spirit backpack. It wrinkles pretty easily, but I thought it will be fine because I can keep it at my feet and put my duffle bag into the bulkhead. Unfortunately I accidentally booked an exit row for a small leg of my journey, and the flight was full. I put my duffle into the bulkhead, and asked the flight attendant if I have to put my purse up too - she said yes, so I put it carefully onto the coat of the passenger beside me (with his permission) and the flight attendant closed the bulkhead because it was full.

A middle aged guy and his wife board the plane later complaining that the bulkheads are full. Of course they open my bulkhead. What do I see? This guy grabs my Chanel and starts smashing it into the bulkhead on top of somebody else's carry on. I just stood up and said "No. No, no no. Stop." :shocked: This guy was so shocked. I think everybody for 6 rows around was just staring at me. I couldn't believe he thought it was acceptable to grab an unknown woman's purse and just move it like that. I had to take my carry-on down to try to fit the purse inside it, and while I was doing this, he tried to put his carry on into my spot - but that's another story. :biggrin: I felt awful after this, but it had to be done to save the Chanel. What's the funniest/worst interaction you've had with somebody who just doesn't understand handbags?
Sorry to hear this happened to you. To me, this is clear that it’s not a matter of where you put, or forced to have to put, your bag (or anything else that belongs to you). It is irrelevant and nothing to do with what YOU do. It’s a matter of people no longer seem to have the proper education on manners that should not be deemed acceptable behavior. I believe this died somewhere along with common sense :thinking: a man no less and middle age - so he had some time to grow up you’re saying and a proper opportunity to learn social norms? I have higher expectation of gentlemen especially when traveling. sorry I know some might think I set back equal rights or whatever. I know and I super support women’s rights but I gotta tell ya when I was In Texas and a random hot cowboy took his hat off and open door for a friend and I saying “you first and have a nice day ladies”, I am not ashamed to say that I seriously swooned :loveeyes: just saying...). You be sure I will teach and raise my sons to know how to be little gentlemen who know how to respect women.But I digress... there’s something more about being on the plane that makes people behave extra rude and uncivilized... when was it ever ok for you to be in such close quarters with someone and stick your bare feet in front of my face? What about being on the plane make that ok now? Puzzling.. if I need to find space and directed to your overhead space and I see “anything” (not just chanel bag) that I need to move to make space for mine, I will simply ask “whose bag is this/is this yours?” Before putting my hands on it let alone moving it. Common courtesy. But I do know i would often be told that the above is now “expecting too much” and that I just need to relax and accept it as it’s just how it is - further enabling future worse behavior (sort of how quality and standards fail I think? - in relative chanel terms, think how members feel strongly about declining chanel quality being “unacceptable” perhaps?)
So OP you are in the right to be troubled. I don’t care if you bring a lambskin to the plane for your travels - that is not the point. A newborn baby is delicate and precious too and a mom may be forced to travel with her precious due to circumstances, but if a man push his way and inconsiderately hurt the newborn - if I was the Mom, one can expect a huuuuge can of wh00pa$$ be opened bigly :lol:

Personal encounters: a few times where people felt they had the right to pick up and move my bag. I loudly (obnoxiously loudly to ensure everyone hears it) ask: “SIR?! May I please ask why you picked up my personal property and moved it without asking me? Did I not hear you by chance? Is there anything I can do to help?!”
Also at chanel stores many times when I see things, other customers try to see my bag - often it’s obvious they know it’s mine and they still somehow felt that they had the “right” to reach and take (I am constantly amazed by the pure lack of self awareness and rudeness). Almost invariably my SAs come to the rescue and they prevent those greedy hands from touching my stuff. If you don’t go touching my son without my permission because you think he’s pretty, I see no reason you go grabbing my bag without my permission. Pretty sure there are lots of news about what happens to men who go about grabbing and groping thugs they think are pretty withit consent or permission lately, no? :thinking: Seems simple to me and shouldn’t be a complex concept IMO :shrugs: it’s simple: you ask. And I am, surprisingly, fully capable of telling you either yes or no :yes:

Last edited:
Oh my - you mean she was trying to buy it? People are desperate to get their hands on the classics in store I guess! Literally!

No, the SA thought my jumbo was their bag and she wanted to keep it.

Thank you! I felt a little crazy - but not just about him manhandling my bag, more like why is this random stranger moving my most personal item? I had a bf once who brought his travel cash in a small carry-on and the flight attendants moved it to make more space. Another passenger took that bag, containing a watch documents and about 3000€. Not the brightest idea to travel with 3000€ cash in a carry on bag but still. The bag was later located in the airport emptied of the cash and watch.

What did the security guard say when you told him off? I probably would have been too shy to say something in that situation, good for you for telling him off! I had a similar situation once when a security guard wanted to check my Gucci Dionysus and couldn't figure out how to open it so he just started trying to yank it open.

Glad you were ok and the bicycle avoided hitting you, but damn I would have been furious.

What a fun topic! I don't have a lot of friends that carry designer bags, so can't share this story much:

My mother in law has a Chanel clutch that was gifted to her. Before I could afford my first Chanel, I asked to see hers because I admire any Chanel bag. It was so sad -- the inside was very worn and torn up, you could tell she either didn't know how to take care of it or didn't care much about it. Fast forward to a year later, I was eating dinner with my fiance and my future mother in law. I brought my new and very first Chanel -- a so black chevron reissue 226. When we were getting up to leave, I guess she wanted to help me with my bag so she grabbed it by the top flap essentially pinching it. Why didn't she use the straps?!?! It was the longest 5 seconds of my life!!! Time literally stood still as I watched her vice-like grip clawing into my new bag :sad: I felt like I was going to have a heart attack LOL!! It's funny now that I look back on it and have assured myself there was no permanent damage done. The best part of the story is she noticed it was a Chanel and then mentioned to my fiance it would be nice if he bought her a new Chanel since hers is so beat up! Side note: she's actually a wonderful mother in law besides this little incident.

Hmmm... I think the worst is when friends or family move my bag-because I allow them to- but as they move, let's say my m/l flap, they SQUEEZE it to pick it up... I don't say anything but in my mind I'm praying they don't crease or bend the flap.
another story: I was purchasing my pink chevron mini and I put it on the counter in the boutique and a woman comes by and picks it up. the SA was actually the one to tell her that I was purchasing it. lol.

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! I don't know why some people like to pinch the top part of Chanel bags [emoji24][emoji24]

My worst: thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle’s, I put my lambskin jumbo up on a ledge. They had a bunny that would freely roam around the house. My cousin’s boyfriend moved the bag to the floor and didn’t think anything of it. I didn’t notice this had happened.
Well, the next day when I was leaving I noticed that the bunny had taken a bite out of my bag and you could actually see to the inside of the bag. There was a small hole in the side of the bag, right next to the seam. [emoji24]
Luckily Chanel was able to fix it, you can’t tell that anything happened! But I was so devastated. The SA when I showed her and told her what happened looked like she was about to cry!

ditto. i had a chanel tote (baby pink color) with me in the airport wrapped in its dustbag and when it went through the x-ray machine the chains set off the alarms. the security officer took the dustbag, opened it up and pulls out my chanel tote and starts handling it like it was just any bag:amazed: he was playing with the chains for quite some time - not sure why he thought they were dangerous but he ran the bag back through the machine on the dirty conveyor belt, twice. i was watching it go through and the chains do look dangerous - they illuminate the screen completely.
Same here. While traveling overseas, I always carry the dustbag with me. Use it whenever I need to put the bag in the x-ray machine. Inside the flight, I normally keep it on my lap or under the front seat. my DH used to think I am "too much" but now, he appreciates the way I take care of my bags.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
My worst: thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle’s, I put my lambskin jumbo up on a ledge. They had a bunny that would freely roam around the house. My cousin’s boyfriend moved the bag to the floor and didn’t think anything of it. I didn’t notice this had happened.
Well, the next day when I was leaving I noticed that the bunny had taken a bite out of my bag and you could actually see to the inside of the bag. There was a small hole in the side of the bag, right next to the seam. [emoji24]
Luckily Chanel was able to fix it, you can’t tell that anything happened! But I was so devastated. The SA when I showed her and told her what happened looked like she was about to cry!

You win.

OMG. We have a winner.

What a fun topic! I don't have a lot of friends that carry designer bags, so can't share this story much:

My mother in law has a Chanel clutch that was gifted to her. Before I could afford my first Chanel, I asked to see hers because I admire any Chanel bag. It was so sad -- the inside was very worn and torn up, you could tell she either didn't know how to take care of it or didn't care much about it. Fast forward to a year later, I was eating dinner with my fiance and my future mother in law. I brought my new and very first Chanel -- a so black chevron reissue 226. When we were getting up to leave, I guess she wanted to help me with my bag so she grabbed it by the top flap essentially pinching it. Why didn't she use the straps?!?! It was the longest 5 seconds of my life!!! Time literally stood still as I watched her vice-like grip clawing into my new bag :sad: I felt like I was going to have a heart attack LOL!! It's funny now that I look back on it and have assured myself there was no permanent damage done. The best part of the story is she noticed it was a Chanel and then mentioned to my fiance it would be nice if he bought her a new Chanel since hers is so beat up! Side note: she's actually a wonderful mother in law besides this little incident.

Oh lawd. People always pinch! This guy pinched my backpack in the middle. I have a similar story too - I bought a Gucci Dionysus to be my "bash" bag because it's so sturdy and canvas. I was visiting my parents and my bf came to pick me up, while they were talking in the dining room, my dad grabbed the top of my bag and started LEANING ON IT. Like a handle? Cushion? No idea. He was just putting all his weight on the bag for some reason. I thought I would have a heart attack just staring at him willing him to stop that. Luckily the Dionysus is incredibly sturdy and looks brand new to this day.

I was at my parents' spa getting a manicure, and my strangely over protective father decided to move my LAMBSKIN BOYBAG (Known for developing a crease down the interior leather if handled incorrectly) from behind my chair without any sort of warning.

As above comments have mentioned how people LOVE to pinch the top of Chanel bags, he also was deathly afraid of properly holding a Chanel bag by the straps.

Maybe us Chanel lovers have been holding it all wrong? Because it seems like the public thinks it's more fashionable to pinch the top or perhaps that the actual way of holding a Chanel bag? (JK)

Needless to say, I screamed out of shock (Not anger.) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY BAG? THAT IS MINE, AND IS VERY VERY EXPENSIVE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY BAG?" :wtf:

I was fuming because it was literally the first time I wore the bag outside the house! From just examining the outside and how he pinched it, I just KNEW that the inside would have one of those horrible creases vertically, right down the flap!

Long story short, I accidentally made it look like my dad was a purse snatcher. LOL! :lol:

After my brand new bag was damaged on its first trip into the outside world, my father rubbed salt on the wound by asking "Oh stop being dramatic, how much could this small thing cost? I'll give you the money for another one."

I told him the price quietly in private, because I was already mortified that I had made a scene out of sheer shock. I absolutely did not want others to think I was a brat or being immature.

THEN, my dad announced loudly to the WHOLE spa "WHAT??? This thing costs how many thousands?," and proceeded to lecture me on overspending (my own hard earned money, ahem) and that I was "careless enough to damage it, on my first time using it." :eek:

I was completely embarrassed that he announced in the middle of our family business how much I spent, IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS! I was mortified and just told him let's discuss this later, because this is NOT the place or time to be discussing money in front of customers! (I don't want my father's careless words to create envy from other customers, and lose business.)

I tried to be graceful and said he misheard me on the price, trying to save whatever sliver of dignity was still left in the situation.

I'll never understand him, he has such weird quirks. Needless to say, I had to consign the bag to fund a new one (lost HALF the value that I paid because of the horrible 5 inch crease down the interior flap).

OF COURSE he *forgot* about the promise of buying me a new boy bag to replace the one he ruined. :crybaby:I don't like asking my parents for money, because I am not a child.

I just ended up never mentioning it again, if they did not offer. :blah:

I guess I'll just carry my stuff inside a potato sack next time I decide to visit my parent's spa to show patronage. I can't deal with the heartbreak of having another one of my lovelies damaged.
:cursing:

Reactions: Jenna989
It was raining the other day and I didn’t have an umbrella. I had my baby boy in the pram so I took my boy bag off and put it in the pram basket so it wouldn’t get wet.
Walking down a slope with shelter then I had to run down a section of the path with no shelter. As I’m running down I slipped and fell under the pram.

I had two thoughts as I fell:
1. Don’t tip the pram and wake the baby!
2. Omg Lucky I put my boy bag away, I could have flattened it as I fell!!!

Lol at no point did I think about possibly hurting myself... I only thought about my 2 boys [emoji12]

I was at my parents' spa getting a manicure, and my strangely over protective father decided to move my LAMBSKIN BOYBAG (Known for developing a crease down the interior leather if handled incorrectly) from behind my chair without any sort of warning.

As above comments have mentioned how people LOVE to pinch the top of Chanel bags, he also was deathly afraid of properly holding a Chanel bag by the straps.

Maybe us Chanel lovers have been holding it all wrong? Because it seems like the public thinks it's more fashionable to pinch the top or perhaps that the actual way of holding a Chanel bag? (JK)

Needless to say, I screamed out of shock (Not anger.) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY BAG? THAT IS MINE, AND IS VERY VERY EXPENSIVE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY BAG?" :wtf:

I was fuming because it was literally the first time I wore the bag outside the house! From just examining the outside and how he pinched it, I just KNEW that the inside would have one of those horrible creases vertically, right down the flap!

Long story short, I accidentally made it look like my dad was a purse snatcher. LOL! :lol:

After my brand new bag was damaged on its first trip into the outside world, my father rubbed salt on the wound by asking "Oh stop being dramatic, how much could this small thing cost? I'll give you the money for another one."

I told him the price quietly in private, because I was already mortified that I had made a scene out of sheer shock. I absolutely did not want others to think I was a brat or being immature.

THEN, my dad announced loudly to the WHOLE spa "WHAT??? This thing costs how many thousands?," and proceeded to lecture me on overspending (my own hard earned money, ahem) and that I was "careless enough to damage it, on my first time using it." :eek:

I was completely embarrassed that he announced in the middle of our family business how much I spent, IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS! I was mortified and just told him let's discuss this later, because this is NOT the place or time to be discussing money in front of customers! (I don't want my father's careless words to create envy from other customers, and lose business.)

I tried to be graceful and said he misheard me on the price, trying to save whatever sliver of dignity was still left in the situation.

I'll never understand him, he has such weird quirks. Needless to say, I had to consign the bag to fund a new one (lost HALF the value that I paid because of the horrible 5 inch crease down the interior flap).

OF COURSE he *forgot* about the promise of buying me a new boy bag to replace the one he ruined. :crybaby:I don't like asking my parents for money, because I am not a child.

I just ended up never mentioning it again, if they did not offer. :blah:

I guess I'll just carry my stuff inside a potato sack next time I decide to visit my parent's spa to show patronage. I can't deal with the heartbreak of having another one of my lovelies damaged.
:cursing:

Nooooooooooo :shocked:, this made me cringe so hard, I'm so sorry this happened to you dear @ChrisDao ! Such a shame that your Boy was damaged and you couldn't recoup the loss as well. Some people, even the closest family members just don't understand our lovely Chanel babies !!

I tested my husband and father and asked them to pick up a non-Chanel bag and hand it to me. But both of them still pinched it by the top. My husband knew it was a trick and got really nervous. He was too cute though after "this is why I just don't touch you expensive things" lol.

Lol. I never thought about doing this but will def try it out out of curiosity.

Reactions: Vanana

That is a crazy story. It would be less crazy if it was a dog but a little bunny. Was it orange? Hee hee. Thank goodness they were able to fix it.

My absolute Chanel nightmare is when I let my mom borrow my flaps. She grabs them, squeezes them, and god knows what else she does, lol. I have a black small classic flap, beige medium classic flap, and a small boy. I don't wear them a lot because usually I wear a large, durable tote to rough around on a daily basis at work (chanel bags can't fit anything lol). So my mom begs and begs if there is a special occasion for her - and I let her - but she mistreats them. But she is family and she is my mom and she does a lot of good things for me - so I feel like I have to because she is such a good person!

But she is terrible with bags... I stopped wearing most of my LV when I got my Chanel bags, and sold off some of the more used, beat up pieces... and I gave her my empreinte bag and matching wallet as a gift - they were like-new condition because I take amazing care of all of my things. She constantly scuffs them up, puts them down on the floor, leaves open pens in the bag, one time I found an open granola bar in her bag! Yesterday she calls me up and tells me she spilled coffee in the car all over this bag. So naturally I get a heart attack whenever I let her borrow my Chanel, but what can you do? When I get a new job I will buy duplicate chanel bags so she can stop using mine. :biggrin:

Good thing I stay away from lambskin all the time though... my heart is too feint for lambskin!