I quit luxury. Selling all Chanel bags to get back to minimalist style. I feel overwhelmed.

From my perspective, I’ve always collected something. It used to be antique glass and a specific brand of pottery. No one thought it was odd that I had dozens and dozens of pieces, although people seem dumbfounded that I have fifty handbags. Granted the price point is higher with bags but the principle is the same. At least my bags are useful, whereas, beautiful as it was, most of my glass collection sat in bins.
I'm the same way. I have a perfume bottle collection, teapot and teacup collections, miniature tea sets, Limoges, Lladro, Hummel, antique metal toys, etc. I've been into purses for the last 7 or 8 years. I've stopped adding to my other collections.
Don’t feel bad look at my husbands addiction :shocked: i buy handbags with moderate guilt ..
I love it!
At some point in our lives, we just downsize. Accumulation, obsession, plateau, and downsize. It's a natural progression. Luxury goods hold less and less meaning to me and I would like to de-clutter my life by first getting rid of items I don't use.

I think about retirement, and moving somewhere urban, metropolitan, but smaller in size because of empty nest. In this case, I just don't need so much clothes or bags, furniture, or other collectibles.
I'm retired. We have enough money to last the rest of our lives. What I spend on purses doesn't make a difference in our lifestyle.

Thank you for posting this! I can relate. I have spent serious money on handbags and that’s something I have never done in the past. TPF and insta has for sure brought luxury awareness that I didn’t have had in the past. I am thankful for all the things that I have learned but I grieve over the desire that this forum has awaken in me to buy things. I have decreased my presence and depending on the title of threads, I don’t even check it out

I love this post and totally relate -- thank you so much for sharing! I love TPF but I, too have been cutting back on my time here because sometimes the materialism stresses me out a bit. And that is NOT a judgement on anyone here -- I'm guilty of this myself! And I fully believe that everyone has the right to spend their disposable income on whatever they want -- more power to you!

But sometimes I see people who buy multiple bags from every single collection and I honestly wonder if they've even had a chance to use and enjoy the bags they bought from the previous collection, before buying more. Like how many bags does one person really need/can one personal really use in a day/month/year? :confused1:

I totally get that many people collect these bags, so they might not even purchase them to use them, but more to display like art, which is great if that is your thing. :heart:

But I do think we live in this time of overconsumption that's fed by social media, Instagram, YT, etc. where we *think* we constantly need to have the latest, greatest, newest trendiest item ... because others do, because it might sell out, etc. Like I always wonder if some of the IG Influencers I see genuinely love that $$$ designer bag they're flaunting, or if they only love it b/c everyone else has it and because they were gifted it for free and/or paid to promote it. There are many trending designer bags that I personally do not like, no matter how many people have them, but I'm realizing what big a role social media can play in dictating people's tastes.

The older I get (I'm in my early 30s), the less things I want to own. The idea of having a giant wardrobe or handbag collection honestly stresses me out! I don't think I'll ever be a true minimalist, but I am an aspiring one. I own 4 Chanel bags, but I only love and use two of them, so I will probably part with the other two soon. I have 2 Gucci bags that I also love and use regularly, so I'm keeping those. There is one other Chanel bag I would like to add to my collection, but after that, I think I'm done. I think five luxury bags is my personal limit ... I just don't want to own things I'm not using/don't truly love, and I also don't want to be super attached to anything to where I would be devastated if something happened to it.

It's also a bit hard for me to even justify owning a few luxury bags as I grew up poor and very conscious of money...even though I'm proud that I've worked hard to get to a place where I can afford a few luxe items, I still think about how much they cost and how many people live in poverty even in my own city., and how no one else in my family can afford such nice things even today. I don't feel guilty per se, but I am conscious of these things.

Anyway, all that to say that I totally relate to this and appreciate your bravery in posting! Maybe one day I will be strong enough to part with my entire collection. And please, no one think that I am judging -- I LOVE looking at everyone's collections and am so happy to be a part of this community. I fully support everyone's right to have a designer handbag collection as big or as small as you want. :heart: Just sharing my personal story. Thanks for reading! :heart:
xoxo

I fully understand where you're coming from. The never-ending chase can be exhausting and sometimes you have to question why you are continuously chasing the next biggest thing.

I was supposed to be travelling to Europe later this year, but because the travel agency I purchased my flights through went into administration and because of the coronavirus, I took it as a huge sign and decided to cancel my trip. Attached to that trip was a very small shopping list, but that's when I realised that I don't need another bag right now, except maybe an alternate work bag (as my Longchamp Planetes MSH has minor bubbling and holes on the corners, plus the zipper sometimes doesn't close part of the way through) and an anti-theft crossbody travel bag. I'll probably take the Longchamp to the boutique to get it repaired because it's such a workhorse, but I also want to get another lightweight, structured yet dressy bag for when I go out after work.

Apart from the above-mentioned bags I plan to buy, everything else is non-essential and considered too trendy to enter my bag collection, which explains why I've already lusted after four different bags since the beginning of the year and have managed to somehow write them off. I love my premier designer bag collection as is right now.

I'm done with clothes and shoes, however, I'm going through a slight jewellery phase right now, and plan to add a Cartier bracelet to my stack sometime this year. I've also decided to sell all my costume jewellery and have my Hermes bracelets currently left to sell. As I get older, I've noticed that I prefer wearing fine jewellery exclusively.

Sometimes I think downsizing can also be an addiction, but the best part is that it gives you time to appreciate what you have, look beyond luxury goods and spend it on experiences with loved ones. That in itself is priceless.

Good for you! I also applaud that you are able to quit purchasing as well as sell all your designer bags. It’s really hard to give up the bags that are sitting on my shelf hiding in dust bags. I’ve toyed with the idea of selling. My husband says to just gift them all to our daughter. I have experienced the guilt and regret of impulse buying numerous times, but there’s always that just one more bag that’s just different enough. My latest “maybe” bag is the 19 Flapbag. It taunts me every time I see one!
You and me both! The 19 bag has haunted me. The only thing now stopping me ( I have tried ALL the different sizes offered) is that the chain is really heavy on my shoulder even if the bag is empty! So I am trying the new chain around! Remember, there will always be another silhouette to “haunt” you. Whatever your hesitation can be, these bags are way too expensive to make mistakes. I use to rationalize my errors away by selling the bag but Chanel on the resale market has lost its luster. Good luck!

You have great resolve and I wish you much happiness!

I can relate, at some point in our lives, we will need to pair down. I have no children so no heirs to hand down to. But as of right now, I do enjoy my bags, they give me energy to wake up in the morning and get a bag and look at them. It feeds my soul. Both my parents are gone so my joy is my bags now. Eventually, I will need to de clutter and get rid some of the bags. I will keep the Chanel classics and some LV forever in my collection and probably place in my will to donate to charity. For now, just enjoying my bags. I would look at my bags and they just make my heart sings.

I am not strong enough to deal with my feeling of buying new bags all the time. No middle path for me. I either do luxury or not don't do it at all.

Goodbye folks
OH gosh, that's brave!! I don't know if I could do that! 2 year ago I sold all my Neverfulls because never worn them even I really love them, bought a tote from a different designer trying to never buy Neverfull for myself again, 6 months later, I missed Neverfulls buying them again!! Even I still don't use them!!! How silly I am!

I was seeling to Fashionphile, on Tradesy together like $25,000. the last lot of shipments to AFF like $10,000. I am tired of this endless circle and I can't find myself enjoying anymore. I lost a lot of money of cause, I looked back and I am done and I quit. I will use the money for traveling with hubby more. I went for luxurious vacation last week and I find myself the real happiness to fullfill.
Yay (on the vacay)!

OH gosh, that's brave!! I don't know if I could do that! 2 year ago I sold all my Neverfulls because never worn them even I really love them, bought a tote from a different designer trying to never buy Neverfull for myself again, 6 months later, I missed Neverfulls buying them again!! Even I still don't use them!!! How silly I am!
Why don’t you use them?

Reactions: fdc
At some point in our lives, we just downsize. Accumulation, obsession, plateau, and downsize. It's a natural progression. Luxury goods hold less and less meaning to me and I would like to de-clutter my life by first getting rid of items I don't use.

I think about retirement, and moving somewhere urban, metropolitan, but smaller in size because of empty nest. In this case, I just don't need so much clothes or bags, furniture, or other collectibles.
So true, and when you think of retirement and downsizing, you also think of your mortality. You don’t want anyone to have go through piles of stuff designer or not, after your death. You want to leave what’s left, as organized as possible.

Thank you !! yes, money should be in the bank !! that's why I quit. I don't have a million dollars to buy everything I wanted that why buying and selling is a bad circle for me. it seemed endless as well. I needed to stop!! Because deep down I got the answer "It's not worth it for me". I spent a lot of energy pondering selling buying and it ends now. Thanks again.

I find it difficult to see why you are being SO HARD on yourself, though? As someone else said before: Clearly, whatever you purchased in the past must have made you happy/ u wanted it really badly, otherwise you would not have bought it. Why beat yourself up about it? why make a once beautiful thing bad looking back? If you decided you want to change paths from now on, congrats, go u! but its like looking back and going OMG why did i ever get that haircut! HOW COULD I? well because at that moment u wanted it, it felt brave and fresh and new or whateeeeever. you probably wouldnt ever do it again, but thats a lesson learned :smile: maybe you can work on making stronger decisions, or try to think more about pros and cons and why you want an item before you do buy it so you dont have to beat yourself up about it. but it in all seriousness, in my eyes, you didnt do anything wrong:
not by buying the items back in the days and also not by selling them now.

to me, personally, money does not belong in a bank account. what use is it there? does it make me happy? nope. If i can afford it, then money makes me happy if I spent it on memories or things that make me happy: may that be vacations, food, items, events, concerts, beauty, education. At the end of the day, its paper bits and metal coins invented to use instead of trading flour for salt and pepper. do whatever makes u happy. :heart:

So true, and when you think of retirement and downsizing, you also think of your mortality. You don’t want anyone to have go through piles of stuff designer or not, after your death. You want to leave what’s left, as organized as possible.

Didn't want to mention mortality, but yes that's definitely a factor. Thinking about leaving less carbon footprint as well. Plus, luxury goods don't hold as much appeal to me as they used to. I wear very plain clothes now and it suits me.

I still love money. But I prefer real estate and looking for gems.

I find it difficult to see why you are being SO HARD on yourself, though? As someone else said before: Clearly, whatever you purchased in the past must have made you happy/ u wanted it really badly, otherwise you would not have bought it. Why beat yourself up about it? why make a once beautiful thing bad looking back? If you decided you want to change paths from now on, congrats, go u! but its like looking back and going OMG why did i ever get that haircut! HOW COULD I? well because at that moment u wanted it, it felt brave and fresh and new or whateeeeever. you probably wouldnt ever do it again, but thats a lesson learned :smile: maybe you can work on making stronger decisions, or try to think more about pros and cons and why you want an item before you do buy it so you dont have to beat yourself up about it. but it in all seriousness, in my eyes, you didnt do anything wrong:
not by buying the items back in the days and also not by selling them now.

to me, personally, money does not belong in a bank account. what use is it there? does it make me happy? nope. If i can afford it, then money makes me happy if I spent it on memories or things that make me happy: may that be vacations, food, items, events, concerts, beauty, education. At the end of the day, its paper bits and metal coins invented to use instead of trading flour for salt and pepper. do whatever makes u happy. :heart:

I love this Katlina, well said :heart:

I haven't bought a designer handbag since 2017. I have had a replacement wallet and designer bits bought for me as gifts though. I stopped buying because the amount Chanel charges was getting more and more ludicrous and I didn't want them to have my money anymore on principle (regardless of how silly it sounds, like Chanel cares about me?! :smile:. And I really didn't want for or need anymore.

Anyways you can only do what brings you peace and if selling them all and walking away is what is required, do it. good luck Xx