I quit luxury. Selling all Chanel bags to get back to minimalist style. I feel overwhelmed.

Joined the website and made my first ever post here which was removed arbitrarily. Great community, I'm out ✌

Condescension is not my scene Vlad, 'makes sense?' Account going to be deleted as soon as I get the time tonight. It has been real.

Yea, so upon registering you agreed to our terms of service, which includes how we don't allow buying/selling between members. We're not the right place for everyone :hrmm:

Sort of like you, I am all or nothing kind of gal. My conflict was buying Chanel. I felt like I just HAD to have whatever it was that I didn't have that came out in each collection. And there are 6 collections a year. I ended up buying things just to feel a sense of completion of my collection, and less because I really even liked them. I couldn't just keep the ones I liked, it was too grey of an area for me. So, week before last, I shipped off the final 25 Chanel to FP. I think I sent off close to 100 over the last 3 months. Now I am down to only about 60 bags, and it feels more manageable. I am not bombarded with GET THIS NOW OR IT WILL BE GONE kind of chaos, which made me make decisions I would not have made a week later. Chanel made me crazy, so I broke up with it (more reasons too - quality, CS, company principles, etc). Now just H, LV, Dior a few Fendi, Bulgari, YSL, Delvaux. I can more easily navigate through those brands and get what I love, and it's a slower more methodical purchase process.

BUT the feeling of getting rid of all the C was incredibly satisfying. I am seeing all the new stuff come out and NONE of me, not even .00001% goes, wow, I wish I could get this or that. Instead I am like , OMG I cannot believe I actually fell for all that crap, I don't even like it!! So now, of course, I am thinking...how else can I downsize and get rid of stuff....that felt REALLY GOOD!

Sort of like you, I am all or nothing kind of gal. My conflict was buying Chanel. I felt like I just HAD to have whatever it was that I didn't have that came out in each collection. And there are 6 collections a year. I ended up buying things just to feel a sense of completion of my collection, and less because I really even liked them. I couldn't just keep the ones I liked, it was too grey of an area for me. So, week before last, I shipped off the final 25 Chanel to FP. I think I sent off close to 100 over the last 3 months. Now I am down to only about 60 bags, and it feels more manageable. I am not bombarded with GET THIS NOW OR IT WILL BE GONE kind of chaos, which made me make decisions I would not have made a week later. Chanel made me crazy, so I broke up with it (more reasons too - quality, CS, company principles, etc). Now just H, LV, Dior a few Fendi, Bulgari, YSL, Delvaux. I can more easily navigate through those brands and get what I love, and it's a slower more methodical purchase process.

BUT the feeling of getting rid of all the C was incredibly satisfying. I am seeing all the new stuff come out and NONE of me, not even .00001% goes, wow, I wish I could get this or that. Instead I am like , OMG I cannot believe I actually fell for all that crap, I don't even like it!! So now, of course, I am thinking...how else can I downsize and get rid of stuff....that felt REALLY GOOD!
It sounds like an incredibly expensive lesson!

It sounds like an incredibly expensive lesson!
Oh boy has it been ever. When I start thinking about literally that I could have bought a very nice home, or that each bag or 2 was a beautiful new sectional in my living room, or house payments for years, or just being able to give MORE to the causes I support (paying off someone's medical bills or providing them with housing for a year) - it's all revolting. Thing is, the curtain peeled back for me long ago, but my cognitive dissonance kept me in the game. It had to be a clean line, a clean break. There are times when I wish I could just go back and reset, just be "normal", buy some Coach or Alexander Wang or whatever, NICE things, but not this. It's so tricked out, what we do. Some kind of trance. I am selling 2 of my 3 homes right now, and living in the smallest, and least expensive. It's also the only one I own outright. Guess which one I love the most???? ... yep.

I would stay away from artificial leather as the production of that is bad for the environment. I think cork might be interesting.
Yeah synthetic leather is a derivative product from oil like plastic so I'm not fan of, I already use the least plastic possible in my daily life. I forgot that I did get some gorgeous YSL velvet bags so I'm happy with my choice. As for Chanel maybe I'll lean more towards tweed.

Your quote made me think about my alternative to non-leather bags.
I don’t buy luxury bags at all, but I made the decision at one point many years ago to buy hand bags ( Coach, Vera Bradley, Tignanello for the most part ) second hand. That was my great stand about consumerism and the environment, lol. Then about 3 years ago I decided to see if I could find vintage leather Coach bags, of which I had a few. Well, a few dozen handbags later, lol . . . I have found some contemporary Coach second hand as well that I enjoy. I am in the midst of organizing my bags and working on deciding what stays and goes, but it is fun. I only bought one bag from a store in about the past 12 years . . .
Yes second hand is great as long as it doesn't boost overconsumerism as people will buy more at 1st hand knowing that there's a market to resell later, but it's still better to rehome unused stuffs than wasting them.

So if youre unhappy, stop buying and sell. I don’t see the Problem. I own 7 bags and I follow the 10 bag rule. So I will never own more then that. Also I will never Buy Hermes. Maybe one Chanel oneday but I also think more then 2000€ / $ is way too overpriced. I can understand esp Hermes (quality) but otherwise no. I also feel better getting not too trendy bags. More classy or edgy. Just my toughts :smile:

Reactions: Ramai and OCMomof3
Thanks for this thread OP. Up until five years ago I had virtually nothing but my wedding set and one branded bag. I started accumulating luxury goods at some point, I think it was after realising I had anxiety/depression problem. Now I have quite a lot. Feeling overwhelmed but can’t stop buying, compulsive obsessive I guess. I also find a hard time of letting go of things even thought I’d like to go minimalist again. How to break this cycle?

I had the same feeling a few years ago. I believe I wrote about it in a thread that I can't remember the title about. I felt like I wanted to get rid of all my luxury items from bags, shoes and scarves which I put them in a consignment web store. Some of them were sold and some were not. The one that I still hold onto is Chanel cc flap in caviar simply because it holds some memories and gold plated hardware which they don't do that anymore. I had this feeling after I read a the old money book and somehow gave me some different perspectives on luxury goods.
I LOVE this community because it shares gems like this! Now I have something fun to read tonight. :heart:

There are not many large forums full of intelligent and financially comfortable users who will not harshly judge others for buying luxury.

I also love this community, because for the spending limits I impose upon myself, I only buy a luxury bag every couple years, and they have to meet very strict criteria for different purposes in my wardrobe. (Had 4, pared down to 2 currently. Looking to add 1 more again. Plus a handful of luxury SLGs.) I get my highs/thrills from seeing others' collections...vicariously enjoying all the nice things, even if it doesn't make sense for my lifestyle, fashion sense, or budget to buy the same things.

Congratulations. Truly. I understand why you did this. I’m going through the struggle now too. Some days I want to sell it all and go back to using regular bags. (That was my life before I found tPF in 2016). I want to sell it all because I find myself wanting ever more expensive bags. My price point has gone from $1500 to $2000 to $2500 to $4000. Now I think a $3000 bag is normal and I’m looking at $5000 bags regularly. It’s insane. It’s driving me crazy to be honest. I want to sell it all and be the way I was before 2016. But I also desperately want a Hermes bag. It’s like I have two different minds and I’m torn in two. I know if I get the Hermes bag I’ll want another......more, more, more. I know I won’t be satisfied with just one.

I applaud you for your strength. Be free!
I can really relate to this. A couple of years back I thought $150 was a lot for a bag, but then I began purchasing more expensive bags and I’m at a point where $5,000 seems reasonable to me or it doesn’t make me second guess anything.

I do think I’m close to being content with my bag collection. There’s a couple of bags from contemporary brands that I want (Polene, APC) so my wallet is definitely happy that my tastes are coming back down to planet earth

I do love our level of self awareness in this thread though. We all have our own limits and it’s important to recognize that.

I don’t get my purse obsession from TPF. I get it from looking at YouTube and online stores and resale sites. I come to TPF to get information and see modeling shots and to share my love of bags and my purchases. This is a place where people understand our obsession, as well as our self-imposed bans. Sometimes I can talk myself out of a bag if the reviews are negative or the bag is not practical. That being said, I am also on a quest to downsize. We have all spent money that we regret. Just move forward, pare down, and don’t beat yourself up.

I don’t get my purse obsession from TPF. I get it from looking at YouTube and online stores and resale sites. I come to TPF to get information and see modeling shots. Sometimes I can talk myself out of a bag if the reviews are negative or the bag is not practical. That being said, I am also on a quest to downsize. We have all spent money that we regret. Just move forward, pare down, and don’t beat yourself up.
True!

There are times when I wish I could just go back and reset, just be "normal", buy some Coach or Alexander Wang or whatever, NICE things, but not this. It's so tricked out, what we do. Some kind of trance.
Yes yes yes. It’s like a trance, a drug, an addiction. @RataDrawitra, I’m curious, now that you’ve sold all your luxury bags, what brands are you using now?

Yes yes yes. It’s like a trance, a drug, an addiction. @RataDrawitra, I’m curious, now that you’ve sold all your luxury bags, what brands are you using now?

So happy with this thick , durable canvas tote from a corner of 8th Floor Bloomy New York 59th street!! 25$ I spent. My husband loves it .

Attachments

• 4F7CD779-F924-4D35-BB96-C63AEE3A9DA3.jpeg
    4F7CD779-F924-4D35-BB96-C63AEE3A9DA3.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 496
I am not strong enough to deal with my feeling of buying new bags all the time. No middle path for me. I either do luxury or not don't do it at all.

Goodbye folks
Consign of the times just put out a request for Chanel they are great contact them they will find a good home and people that will appreciate what you once loved.