I purchased a Chanel Classic Flap on a whim!

It is a beautiful story and you now have a beautiful bag.

It is very expensive and since it is your most expensive handbag to date, that would certainly evoke feelings of apprehension and guilt, but those feelings will quickly disappear as you start to carry your lovely new bag. It sounds like the timing was perfect.

Thank you for sharing your lovely story. I felt as if I was there watching it all unfold. Congratulations [emoji898]

Reactions: ChiSquared
Dear, congrats on your new classic flap!!! Black with silver is just a beautiful combo! I always regret that i got the gold hardware instead as i was going through a " everything gold" phase lol

Maybe think about this way. This is the bag you will get for sure, right? As Chanel keeps increasing their price every time, it is better to get it sooner than later! With these increases, it might be more expensive to buy it in Paris in a few years than getting it now! :smile: Hope this makes feel better about the purchase! Enjoy your stunning new bag!

Reactions: ChiSquared
Congrats! Enjoy the bag without regrets! It’s a classic bag so won’t ever go out of style. I just bit the bullet and bought a jumbo, which is the most I’ve ever spent on a bag but I know that I will love it and enjoy it forever. You have to treat yourself sometimes!!

Reactions: Superbe
ChiSquared, life is short, enjoy your beautiful bag!

Warning: Long story ahead but there's a picture at the end. :smile:

The Chanel classic flap is my most expensive bag purchase to date by far (for comparison, my second most expensive bag is a Fendi Kan I). I do also own a Chanel boy bag, but that was a gift from my MIL. First off, I'm not the type to make purchases on a whim. I almost always spend weeks, if not months, thinking about a particular handbag, researching it by reading about it on PurseForum or watching reviews/unboxings on YouTube, and making sure I have enough in expendable savings that buying it won't affect any other aspects of my lifestyle before I make the purchase. So why did I buy a Chanel classic flap on a whim? Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted one; it's one of my dream handbags! I just never actually made the purchase yet because it's expensive (and keeps on getting more expensive from all the price hikes), and I had wanted to wait until I traveled to Europe or Hong Kong...

Then the past weekend, my husband and I went out for dinner at a fancy restaurant with some of our neighbors (who are also his coworkers), and that restaurant happened to be in a ritzy neighborhood located in a mall with luxury goods stores that ranged from Moncler to Hermes. It was also a restaurant that required reservations in advance and our reservation wasn't until 8:30 PM. Since all of us arrived much earlier, we decided to split up and do some window shopping first. I actually predominantly buy online because I sometimes feel intimidated setting foot inside a physical store, and I've read enough stories where people get judged by the SA and receive subpar service, etc. Thus, when we walked into a Chanel store carrying just a vintage Coach crossbody bag (the most expensive thing I wore that night was a Gucci belt), I was prepared to be completely ignored. However, to my surprise, the SA, although she was helping another group of customers at the time, came to us and warmly asked if there was anything in particular we were looking for. Naturally, the first thing I inquired was for a Chanel classic flap in medium, caviar leather, and silver hardware. I've heard of stories that sometimes Chanel flaps, because they are so popular, are not always available. To my surprise yet again, she went to the back of the store and brought out exactly what I asked for.

I couldn't believe that my dream bag was right in front of me. I gently ran my fingers across its leather grains and diamond stitches and cautiously opened it up to see its hidden flap and burgundy leather lining. I realized in that moment that it was actually my first time touching a Chanel flap in real life. Overwhelmed with emotions, the pure adrenaline, and an intense desire - I wasn't thinking with my brain anymore but feeling with my heart, and my heart wanted that bag. When the SA told me that she had only one unopened Chanel bag left, my decision was already made. I purchased the bag that night.

Needless to say, it was definitely impulse buy. If I had just waited for perhaps a couple more years, I could have bought it for much less in Europe. Thankfully, my budget had just enough room for it (if I cut back on eating out for the next month or two), and it didn't affect my ability to set aside the usual portion of my income towards retirement. But it made me feel unease. Am I rationalizing for my behavior? Am I too obsessed with luxury handbags? Or am I going to get addicted to the rush of adrenaline of shopping? I'm not sure. But I know one thing, every time I take a look at my Chanel classic flap, I couldn't help but smile. I also probably shouldn't buy anymore handbags for the rest of this year.

Hope you enjoyed reading about my experience! For those of you that made it to the end: What handbags/luxury items (Chanel or non-Chanel) have you purchased on an whim? How did you feel when you made the impulse buy? Any regrets afterwards?

View attachment 4410870

I just bought my first ever Chanel flap bag a month ago, and my delight and horror at the price lasted approximately 3 days. I as well had been daydreaming about it, was on a mission, paid cash and everything. But still those mixed feelings struck. I asked my boyfriend if I should return it during that 3 day spell and he was like, "NO WAY! It's awesome, you deserve it and I'm so happy you got it." Cheers to our new bags!

Reactions: Superbe and alisil