I officially started my 'one nice item per month' purchase:

Some girls from my office all hit up a sale at Belk yesterday and came in to work today wearing their new finds. They were bragging about finding shoes for $20 and shirts for $7 and told me that I should go. When I replied that I am saving up for one nice thing I have been wanting, they looked at me like I had ten heads! It was like they couldn't imagine why I would pass on buying a bunch of things that I didn't really want just because they were on sale. It is going to feel so much more gratifying to know that I am going to have a cashmere sweater that I not only love love love but will last me forever. :smile:

That is exactly how I used to be-I would sometimes buy something just because it was on sale (thinking how much money I 'saved') but I'd end up wearing it once, then it would end up in the 'consignment pile'. I'm tired of all that!!

Good for you....you can't go wrong with a classic cashmere sweater....go girl!!! Make sure you post your pics when you get it!!! :smile::tup:

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying it on sale, but when you do, you should look for quality items. (which can be done). Now, I don't agree with the "buying it just cause it's on sale," but you have nothing that maches in your wardrobe, it's trendy, it's cheap or cheaply made, or just buying just to buy.

I have some things I've had in my closet I've had forever, but they are classic that "could" last a lifetime, if taken care of. But not always just because it's expensive, or has a name brand, mean that it's 'quality' (not saying you think this).

I rarely buy anything on sale. I should say, I almost always buy stuff on sale BUT, it is something I have picked out, wanted for a while and waited for it to go on sale. I don't buy something that I wouldn't have otherwise picked, just because it is on sale. I end up with a bunch of odd things and nothing works.

I have decided to so something similar. I am going to buy one nice thing every time DH takes a trip to Europe. Not quite once a month but he has gone three times in the last few months. I am a SAHM and most of the time, I dress for comfort so my splurges will be for special things that I want when I dress up.