I LOVE MY HUBBY BUT NOT THAT BAG!!!

I think I need a mediator lol... I also wish the Chanel Campaign didn't show a man wearing the bag bc now to me it has a man messenger bag vibe to it and I can't seem to shake it off. Your right I don't want to lie to him that would really be more stressful..... I am thinking of telling him it had a defect and that they are all sold out world wide and that my only option is another CHANEL BAG. Lets see if this works?
hmmm... you're in a real tough spot, especially after viewing your explanation of his sentiment and how he feels about chanel and bags. Just wondering out loud here... have you tried going the route of showing him the photos of the men wearing the Gabriel and telling him that it's one of the reasons that you got the impression of the messenger vibe? maybe that would help him change his mind on not being so "stuck" with "liking" the Gabriel bag. Then, the next step is perhaps instead of the cerf tote ( I don't personally recommend asking to exchange for a bag that you know he didn't like, when it's a gift from him).. maybe if he's open to returning the Gabriel (from above) then ask to go visit the store together to have his help in locating an exchange item? do you like coco or other styles recently? have it in mind first and perhaps "in cohoot" with your SA in advance, see if your favorite SA can bring those out and talk about how nice those bags are? hehehehe

Reactions: mmaya
My husband knows it's more than his life's worth to get me with anything without my prior approval! I think you should be upfront with your husband and tell him you appreciate his thoughtfulness but the bag is just not your style and you'd like to exchange it for one that is more to your taste.

I often remind my husband that he falls asleep before me, and that a nail gun at home depot cost less than $400... :lol:

in the end, he got you the bag because he loves you and wants to make you happy. i'd be honest and tell him that you love him for it, except that the bag is not practical for you because you won't use it as much as you would use another bag, so you're going to exchange it. this is a tough one.

After 27 years together, you should definitely be able to tell him the truth and he should be able to take it. What's marriage if you can't be honest about something as simple as a bag and have to sugar coat everything? And of course, we all know that it's always the thought that counts and that you love love love him for the gesture, but let's be practical. If he loves you and bought the bag to make you happy, he wouldn't want you to be stuck with a bag you don't love, or want to use. You not liking the bag has zilch to do with your appreciation for his thoughtful gesture.

So how do I write this and NOT sound completey ungrateful????

My birthday is in May and so is mothers day so hubby always gets me a very big gift and of course I always want CHANEL.. HE hates Chanel bc of the price tag so I always pitch in to help when its CHANEL..

So yesterday he went without telling me to CHANEL and got me the Gabriella Large Bag which at first site to me looked hideous!!! I am not telling him I don't love it bc he gets super upset when I exchange things he gives me.. THERE IS NO EXPLAINING TO THIS MAN THAT BAGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT PURCHASES FOR ME AND THEY HAVE TO MAKE MY HEART SING!!!

So what do I do? exchange it and hope he never notices or tell him the truth which makes him go insane!!!

I hope someone here understands what i am going threw!!

I currently have 3 classic flaps and one boy bag and woc.

I wanted the new serf tote but he says it looks too old lady...

I totally understand how you feel because I am a Chanel fan but I hate the look of Gabrielle bag... The style is so unChanel to me, as I'm like you who prefers classic / "old" look... If it was me, I will explain to him that it is a lot of money for him and as it does not fit your style / lifestyle, you do not wish to waste his good will. Then agree a time where you both return it together, and I believe if you return, Chanel most of the time only give the refunds in store credits anyway, but not cash, then it's only a natural chance to show him what you like and make use of that store credits! :smile:

Keep us posted of how it goes!

I totally understand how you feel because I am a Chanel fan but I hate the look of Gabrielle bag... The style is so unChanel to me, as I'm like you who prefers classic / "old" look... If it was me, I will explain to him that it is a lot of money for him and as it does not fit your style / lifestyle, you do not wish to waste his good will. Then agree a time where you both return it together, and I believe if you return, Chanel most of the time only give the refunds in store credits anyway, but not cash, then it's only a natural chance to show him what you like and make use of that store credits! :smile:

Keep us posted of how it goes!

Thank you for your great advice so happy to meet another Chanel Fan here on the forum!!!! I need to wait a couple of days and hopefully he will be distracted when I tell him lol.. He doesn't enjoy shopping with me so am researching what other bag I will want so if he does agree to go I can be super ready... I was thinking COCO handle in a color or Black Boy Bag SHW or Yellow Classic Flap?

Man, to be married that long I would just be straight to the point with him. No sugar coating. He would be upset but in the end its you thats wearing the bag. A butt ugly bag is a butt ugly bag.
HAHAHA LOVE your reply.... Trust me am straight up with him but he has been so sensitive lately that I dread saying I don't like it..

After 27 years together, you should definitely be able to tell him the truth and he should be able to take it. What's marriage if you can't be honest about something as simple as a bag and have to sugar coat everything? And of course, we all know that it's always the thought that counts and that you love love love him for the gesture, but let's be practical. If he loves you and bought the bag to make you happy, he wouldn't want you to be stuck with a bag you don't love, or want to use. You not liking the bag has zilch to do with your appreciation for his thoughtful gesture.
Exactly what I think, I would want him to say "Here is my gift if you don't like it don't worry exchange it bc I want you to be happy.," however he is making me feel like if I exchange the bag am ungrateful and he says he won't buy me anything again.

hmmm... you're in a real tough spot, especially after viewing your explanation of his sentiment and how he feels about chanel and bags. Just wondering out loud here... have you tried going the route of showing him the photos of the men wearing the Gabriel and telling him that it's one of the reasons that you got the impression of the messenger vibe? maybe that would help him change his mind on not being so "stuck" with "liking" the Gabriel bag. Then, the next step is perhaps instead of the cerf tote ( I don't personally recommend asking to exchange for a bag that you know he didn't like, when it's a gift from him).. maybe if he's open to returning the Gabriel (from above) then ask to go visit the store together to have his help in locating an exchange item? do you like coco or other styles recently? have it in mind first and perhaps "in cohoot" with your SA in advance, see if your favorite SA can bring those out and talk about how nice those bags are? hehehehe
Excellent idea on showing him the pics of men wearing the bag... He knows am super girly so maybe that could convince hm its not for me>> Thank you so much for that..

You know your husband through and through but you also know you, and you don't like the bag.The object of the 'game' of buying someone a gift should be to make her/him happy and not make her/him wear something that just doesn't make them feel good.

If you're going to change the bag (and I think you should) don't make a big thing of it, no heart to heart etc. I would just say the thought and gesture was so wonderful and made you very happy BUT the bag is just a little too X, Y and Z and so you need a bag that's a bit more A B and C and will need to change it. If he makes a fuss keep all responses light and breezy, don't let him make it into a big deal because quite frankly it isn't,

BTW, a similar thing happened to me with a Valentine's gift (different brand) a few years ago. I kept it anyway. It doesn't kill me to use it but I do have to think hard about the rest of my outfit. I kept it because it has hearts on (so not me but, hey, hearts say love).

I should also say I actually quite like the Gabrielle, I love the Coco though.

You know your husband through and through but you also know you, and you don't like the bag.The object of the 'game' of buying someone a gift should be to make her/him happy and not make her/him wear something that just doesn't make them feel good.

If you're going to change the bag (and I think you should) don't make a big thing of it, no heart to heart etc. I would just say the thought and gesture was so wonderful and made you very happy BUT the bag is just a little too X, Y and Z and so you need a bag that's a bit more A B and C and will need to change it. If he makes a fuss keep all responses light and breezy, don't let him make it into a big deal because quite frankly it isn't,

BTW, a similar thing happened to me with a Valentine's gift (different brand) a few years ago. I kept it anyway. It doesn't kill me to use it but I do have to think hard about the rest of my outfit. I kept it because it has hearts on (so not me but, hey, hearts say love).

I should also say I actually quite like the Gabrielle, I love the Coco though.
Thank you this was excellent advice and its what i have to do ,so basically I don't make a big deal of it and won't be a big deal. I am totally leaning towards the COCO

Reactions: papertiger