I lost my kitty!

Phew!!! What a relief. If she is a bit of a wanderer, be sure to take a sharpie and write on her collar, too. but I agree, best to wait a bit before letting her out again (which will be harder now that she has had a taste of life outside.)

I have three cats, one stays around the house always, one stays for two weeks and then goes away for two weeks, and the other decided to move across the street and live under my neighbors house 8 months ago, so I buy her food and flea drops and give them to my neighbor. Cats really play by their own rules!!!

Glad your kitty is back! I was kitty sitting for my sister when I first moved out on my own, and her cat ran away after only having her for a couple of hours. I was distraught, and called for her for hours, but she wouldn't come back. Days went by, and then a week after she had disappeared (after checking spca and posting missing signs), one of my neighbors suggested standing in the yard, opening a can of tuna, and then hitting the can on the side with a spoon. Guess what? Kitty comes running from another apartment building next door; yup, she had been listening to my calling her name the entire week.

Glad she is home safe and sound. That had to have been an awful experience for you.

Have you heard about micro-chipping? Your vet can insert a little chip into the back of your cat's neck. It doesn't hurt them at all. Your name and phone number, as well as your vet's info, is encoded on the chip. If she is ever found by someone and taken to a shelter or another vet's office, they can scan her neck and find out that she belongs to you.

I've heard some amazing success stories about pets being reunited with their owners, due to these micro-chips. I don't think they cost too much, either. Probably a little less than $100.

Glad your kitty is safe! I'm of the opinion that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam freely. A woman I pet sit for lost her cat this way (the cat was free to go in and out for YEARS and was fine... it recently just didn't come back one day, and they still don't know if it got hit by a car, hurt by a wild animal, picked up by someone, or what, but it never showed up at a shelter and no one responded to their lost cat signs).

We have a lot of cats in our neighborhood that are allowed to roam, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on my brakes because one walked out in front of my car. I would be furious if I hit one, because I would feel so guilty and feel awful for the cat, and it would have been prevented if the owner had kept them safely inside. Just a block up the street there was a young cat dead on the side of the road, and I had to drive by it every day to get home. :sad: It's also difficult, as a dog owner, to take my dogs outside to go to the bathroom. They freak out because there's often a cat in our yard. I've also seen cats digging and going to the bathroom in our yard - not cool! I've witnessed several hideous cat fights among neighborhood cats and saw fur flying.

Please, everyone, reconsider before you allow your cats to roam freely. They are domesticated now, and they are perfectly fine to be inside where they are safe. Don't mean to offend, but there are so many cats in shelters for this reason, and like I've said I see daily the effects of those that think they are doing their cats a favor by letting them outside.

Thanks everybody for your support.:kiss: Tiger is doing great and acts like nothing happened. :rolleyes: I put a pretty pink collar on her with her name and phone number so she won't get lost ever again.

I have three cats, one stays around the house always, one stays for two weeks and then goes away for two weeks, and the other decided to move across the street and live under my neighbors house 8 months ago, so I buy her food and flea drops and give them to my neighbor. Cats really play by their own rules!!!

no lie! I lived on a golf course for a few years and I had a cat that was living a double life. I could never figure why he was so big - I had him on a strict diet - but he kept gaining weight! Turns out, he was moonlighting at a neighbors house - they saw me with him one day and said to me, "hey thats our little friend! does he belong to you? he hangs out at our house all the time!" So I put 2 and 2 together and figured they were feeding him. If that wasn't bad enough, I was sitting along the edge of the course with my kitty and the grounds keeper pulled up to us in his golf cart and goes, "hey, thats my little buddy! he rides around with me in the morning and I give him cans of tuna!"
My cat was quite the opportunist.

I am so happy for you that she is home safe! I know what it feels like to have a missing kitty- it's horrible! Sometimes they do funny things and even when we call them, they decide they don't feel like responding. We can't take it personally! :smile: One trick that works pretty well is to try and tempt them with food. A cat that I had responded to a can opener noise because that meant she was getting tuna fish. Or get them used to a noise when you want to give them a treat! If they are somewhere and hear it, they might be more likely to come if there is food.