I have a theory about colours... prove me wrong!

Where are you located and what colours do you like in bags?

• Old continent, neutrals

• Non-old continent, neutrals

• Old continent, bright shades

• Non-old continent, bright shades

Results are only viewable after voting.
I assume we're not just talking Chloe, right? I only have 2 of those in my collection, but I have many other designer bags.

Yes, you are right... ALL BAGS, PLEASE...

Ps may i kindly ask fellow tPFers to VOTE so that we can visualise (in a divanatian way) the results... There are very few votes from non-europeans!

Ok - don't fully understand what new continent means - I'm in Australia - does new continent refer to a younger nation?

Also, I'm in Australia - but am originally from the USA. I am not a color person - very much a neutral girl:

white
offwhite
taupe
tan
whiskey
choc
muscade
rouge
beige
black
olive
aubergine

US,

Bags a mostly neutrals, whiskey, black, cordovan, natural python, chocolate croc, ivory, etc.. I have ONE bright green. I just got it. And a dark purple, which i think is also neutral.

Yes, you are right... ALL BAGS, PLEASE...

Ps may i kindly ask fellow tPFers to VOTE so that we can visualise (in a divanatian way) the results... There are very few votes from non-europeans!

I didn't vote because, to be honest, I wasn't sure what "old" and "non-old" continent meant!!:shame: Maybe I should have paid better attention in history class!! Is US considered "Old Continent"?? Or does Old Continent refer to Europe and everywhere else is "Non-Old"??

Yes ILuv - the new continent would be the US and I think that is it. I don't think that Australia qualifies as "new" even though they are newer than the US. Don't ask me why. Might have something to do with being a part of Great Britain. And I think Canada is "New Continent" even though it, too, is part of Great Britain kinda sorta. Old continent is anything European and Middle Eastern I guess. Why am I calling all these shots? Am I hijacking Maria's post????

Does this apply to Chloes only? Because I tend to love Chloe stuff in neutral because earthy tones show the leathery texture really well, but I am a sucker for colours!

Ok, here goes:

Australia

Muscade
Bleu Nuit (metallic)
Grenat
White
Yellow
Mouse

Aye ay ay! I just reaslised I'm not from the Old Continent or the US, so I have no business in this thread... *I think I misunderstood the assignment sob sob*

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL PROSPECTIVE VOTERS
OLD CONTINENT = decadent Europe + Middle Easat
Non-old continent = rest of the world...

So, Aussies can vote as non-old continent... dont worry, i_wona...

I believe Europe is pretty decadent and conservative in comparison to other younger nations (though i love being European)... i guess boring people decided to stay in Europe when all the bright, adventure lovers went abroad to explore new ground (together with some oafs, but you always get some of them in any case)... Does it make any sense?
I am a microbiologist, so i shouldnt venture into sociology... I bet there are some sociologist in tPF who could do it much better than me....

Oh dear, obscenely long post coming up.....deep breath! :shame: :rolleyes:

I studied politics and geography (and a little bit of sociology and history) and when I hear the term 'the Old Continent', I think of Europe alone; as Europe is where most of the people who colonised 'the New Continent' (which normally refers to America [North and South], not Australia or NZ [as they are, obviously, a completely separate continent]) originally came from.

To me, the term 'the Old World' (not to be confused with the 'Old Continent') refers to Africa, Asia and Europe; as this was all that was known of the world, by most 16th Century Europeans, until Christopher Columbus 'discovered' America (he didn't really discover it first, of course, but that's another story).

I think the term 'the New World', in this context (although, obviously not in a biological one, Maria!) would include Australia and NZ, as well as the US, South America and Canada (in fact, anywhere that isn't part of the 'Old World').

So, perhaps the terms 'Old World' and 'New World' would have been more inclusive? Although, it wouldn't have answered the question that, I presume, you are trying to ask, which seems to be; 'Do the colour preferences of Europeans differ from those of Americans?'.

I'm in the UK (so both 'Old Continent' and 'Old World') and I like both neutrals and bright colours (often on the same bag!). The colours make it more interesting and the fact that they're on a black, or neutral, base make them more wearable, as I (like many of my fellow countrypeople) wear a lot of black.

In fact, because of this, it's hard for me to list my colours and even harder to categorise them.

If I have a black and gold bag with green beads, do I class it as a neutral, a metallic, or a bright colour? Does the fact that the base colour is black make it a neutral? Or does the fact that it has bright green beads automatically override that? :shrugs:

Also, blush pink, dusty pink and navy are colours, of course, but they virtually perform as neutrals and they are certainly not bright.....and what category do metallics fall under? Bright neutrals?!

Perhaps you could review my list and tell me what I should vote for, Maria! :upsidedown:

In terms of Chloe bags and wallets, I have:

Neutrals and Non-Colours (including subtle, near neutral, colours):

Noir with amber resin,

Noir with gold piping (on its way, I hope!),

Noir with tiger & blush pink flower appliqué,

Noir with blush pink flower appliqué,

Noir with brown (Brun?) studded 'belt',

Tourbe (v. dark brown) with amber resin,

Brun,

Dusty pink.

Total: 8

Metallics:

Or (x2),

Argent,

Champagne (silver-gold).

Total: 4

Brights (including brights with neutrals and/or metallics):

Dark red (Bordeaux?) with red resin,

Fuchsia,

Bordeaux,

Jaune/Vert/Blanc (banana print),

Noir & Or with green beads (x2).

Total: 6

So, the neutrals and subtle colours just about have it over bright colours in terms of my Chloe bags, but taking into account my bags by other designers, I'd say the bright colours have it by a whisker (13 to 12 [assuming metallics aren't classed as neutrals? :shrugs: ]):

Black (Prada),

Black with khaki, cream, lilac, dark red, and bronze metallic appliquéd leaves (which category?) (Clements Ribeiro),

Black with marbled green and white plaque (again, which category? [Alexander McQueen]),

Navy (YSL).

Metallics:

Gold and black (Roberto Cavalli).

Total: 1

Red and black (BV),

Green and ecru (Gucci),

Teal and black (Jimmy Choo),

Fuchsia (Julien MacDonald),

Pink purple (Matthew Williamson),

Mint, cream, fuchsia, navy and pale blue zig zags (Missoni),

Pink, black, lime green and red (Pucci).

Total: 7

I still don't know what to vote for, though, as I really do like a wide variety of colours (and non-colors), from muted neutrals to ultra-brights.

For me, much as I love colour, the design is always far more important, though (that's why I've never really fallen for BBags).

Re. older vs newer - as you know, maria, on the whole, I prefer the older Chloe styles, but certainly not because they're older; simply because I find them far more attractively designed and better quality. :smile:

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as conservative - put it that way! :biggrin:

I actually think, from what I've observed (and for what it's worth!), that people from the US and Canada seem to be very varied in their tastes (just as we are here, in Europe).

For example, by and large, people from the NE of the US and particularly NY, seem to be far more conservative than people from the West Coast, for example.

In fact, if I had to pick which people are more conservative in their taste, between Europeans and people from the US, it would be hard, because of these variations, but if pushed, I would say that, on average, people from North America are, currently, slightly more conservative than us Europeans.

I don't think this has, necessarily, always been the case, though, as I think most of us vary in our tastes, as fashions change and that fashion isn't a completely global thing.....yet.

Also, people's colouring is a major factor, of course - people from the same continent can, obviously, have very different colouring and that will have a major influence on their colour choices.

BTW, if you're still reading this, please award yourself a large cookie (or biscuit, if you're 'Old Continent')! :lol:

Thank you for your reply, CHB... In fact, i was thinking of PMing you to bring your atention to this exciting question...

I feel people from the New World are more bold when it comes to fashion... For instance, we love clothes here in Spain, but bright colours arent the norm... only when they become very fashionable, but you dont usually see bubblegum pink or turquoise bags (i am not talking about high-end, just any bag in general) or very bright shoes...

I went out clubbing on Saturday to an extremely posh place (i am still questioning what the heck i was doing there...) and there were lots of beautiful, well dressed girls... I think most of them were wearing little black dresses (very little, indeed) with black pumps and most bags were dark as well... I wonder how colourful would a NY club have been...

Forgive me for wandering off the topic...

It'd be interesting to pose this question in the Balenciaga subforum... There are so many colours that one cant help getting a bright bag, i suppose...

In general, Chloe bag lovers seem to like neutrals better, but there arent as many colourful bags...

Oh dear, obscenely long post coming up.....deep breath! :shame: :rolleyes:

I studied politics and geography (and a little bit of sociology and history) and when I hear the term 'the Old Continent', I think of Europe alone; as Europe is where most of the people who colonised 'the New Continent' (which normally refers to America [North and South], not Australia or NZ [as they are, obviously, a completely seperate continent]) originally came from.

To me, the term 'the Old World' (not to be confused with the 'Old Continent') refers to Africa, Asia and Europe; as this was all that was known of the world, by most 16th Century Europeans, until Christopher Columbus 'discovered' America (he didn't really discover it first, of course, but that's another story).

I think the term 'the New World', in this context (although, obviously not in a biological one, Maria!) would include Australia and NZ, as well as the US, South America and Canada (in fact, anywhere that isn't part of the 'Old World').

So, perhaps the terms 'Old World' and 'New World' would have been more inclusive? Although, it wouldn't have answered the question that, I presume, you are trying to ask, which seems to be; 'Do the colour preferences of Europeans differ from those of Americans?'.

I'm in the UK (so both 'Old Continent' and 'Old World') and I like both neutrals and bright colours (often on the same bag!). The colours make it more interesting and the fact that they're on a black, or neutral, base make them more wearable, as I (like many of my fellow countrypeople) wear a lot of black.

In fact, because of this, it's hard for me to list my colours and even harder to categorise them.

If I have a black and gold bag with green beads, do I class it as a neutral, a metallic, or a bright colour? Does the fact that the base colour is black make it a neutral? Or does the fact that it has bright green beads automatically override that? :shrugs:

Also, blush pink, dusty pink and navy are colours, of course, but they virtually perform as neutrals and they are certainly not bright.....and what category do metallics fall under? Bright neutrals?!

Perhaps you could review my list and tell me what I should vote for, Maria! :upsidedown:

In terms of Chloe bags and wallets, I have:

Noir with amber resin,

Noir with gold piping (on its way, I hope!),

Noir with tiger & blush pink flower applique,

Noir with blush pink flower applique,

Noir with brown (Brun?) studded 'belt',

Tourbe (v. dark brown) with amber resin,

Brun,

Dusty pink.

Total: 8

Metallics:

Or (x2),

Argent,

Champagne (silver-gold).

Dark red (Bordeaux?) with red resin,

Fuchsia,

Bordeaux,

Jaune/Vert/Blanc (banana print),

Noir & Or with green beads (x2).

Total: 6

So, the neutrals and subtle colours just about have it over bright colours in terms of my Chloe bags, but taking into account my bags by other designers, I'd say the bright colours have it by a whisker (13 to 12 [assuming metallics aren't classed as neutrals? :shrugs: ]):

Neutrals (including subtle, near neutral, colours):

Black (Prada),

Black with khaki, cream, lilac, dark red, and bronze metallic appliqued leaves (which category?) (Clements Ribeiro),

Black with marbled green and white plaque (again, which category? [Alexander McQueen]),

Navy (YSL).

Metallics:

Gold and black (Roberto Cavalli).

Red and black (BV),

Green and ecru (Gucci),

Teal and black (Jimmy Choo),

Fuchsia (Julien MacDonald),

Pink purple (Matthew Williamson),

Mint, cream, fuchsia, navy and pale blue zig zags (Missoni),

Pink, black, lime green and red (Pucci).

I still don't know what to vote for, though, as I really do like a wide variety of colours (and non-colors), from muted neutrals to ultra-brights.

For me, much as I love colour, the design is always far more important, though (that's why I've never really fallen for BBags).

Re. older vs newer - as you know, maria, on the whole, I prefer the older Chloe styles, but certainly not because they're older; simply because I find them far more attractively designed and better quality. :smile:

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as conservative - put it that way! :biggrin:

I actually think, from what I've observed (and for what it's worth!), that people from the US and Canada seem to be very varied in their tastes (just as we are here, in Europe).

For example, by and large, people from the NE of the US and particularly NY, seem to be far more conservative than people from the West Coast, for example.

In fact, if I had to pick which people are more conservative in their taste, between Europeans and people from the US, it would be hard, because of these variations, but if pushed, I would say that, on average, people from North America are, currently, slightly more conservative than us Europeans.

I don't think this has, necessarily, always been the case, though, as I think most of us vary in our tastes, as fashions change and that fashion isn't a completely global thing.....yet.

Also, people's colouring is a major factor, of course - people from the same continent can, obviously, have very different colouring and that will have a major influence on their colour choices.

BTW, if you're still reading this, please award yourself a large cookie! :lol:

Thank you for your reply, CHB... In fact, i was thinking of PMing you to bring your atention to this exciting question...

I feel people from the New World are more bold when it comes to fashion... For instance, we love clothes here in Spain, but bright colours arent the norm... only when they become very fashionable, but you dont usually see bubblegum pink or turquoise bags (i am not talking about high-end, just any bag in general) or very bright shoes...

I think that's probably the case here, too, TBH. :yes:

I think most people wear a predominance of black and neutrals.

But most people aren't, necessarily, that interested in fashion, anyway, are they? They just want to blend-in.

I went out clubbing on Saturday to an extremely posh place (i am still questioning what the heck i was doing there...) and there were lots of beautiful, well dressed girls... I think most of them were wearing little black dresses (very little, indeed) with black pumps and most bags were dark as well... I wonder how colourful would a NY club have been...

The thing is, it's just so easy to do that, isn't it? Effortless (if a little dull).

Wearing and especially, combining colour takes a little more thought (and bravery!), I suppose?

Forgive me for wandering off the topic...

It'd be interesting to pose this question in the Balenciaga subforum... There are so many colours that one cant help getting a bright bag, i suppose...

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? If one was scared of colour, I would have thought one would be less likely to gravitate towards BBags!

To me (and this is just my opinion, of course), Motorcycle Bags are daring in colour, but very safe (almost too safe, IMHO) in design.

In general, Chloe bag lovers seem to like neutrals better, but there arent as many colourful bags...

True. :yes:

Here are mine:

Turquoise
Eggplant
Cognac
Tan caramel
Yellow
Mustard Yellow
Fuschia
Black
Red
Olive Green
pink/sable
Bordeaux
navy blue
Silver (3 of them)
Grass green
Cream
White
Black
Mushroom
chocolate brown (2 bags)
super dark brown
Tan orange
Denim
Gunmetal
Lavendar metallic
Brick

I think that sums it up. I pretty much wear a lot of bright colors and lots of patterns, so i'd like to pair that up w/ a neutral bag. I usually wear my bright bags w/ my neutral wardrobe LOL

I guess I'm old & new world since I'm an African that lives in the US :upsidedown:

I only have one Chloe and it is whiskey but my other bags are every color of the rainbow (and more since I don't think the rainbow has pink in it)! LOL!