I have a serious problem

I'm a hoarder also - and right now I'm glad. The arlines just lost my lugage with at least $500.00 worth of expensive makeup, brushes, fragrance, etc. - I'll never see that stuff again (it's been over a week) so for once, I'm glad I had a big stash at home. When I really like a product, I usually make sure I have a spare. Probably not very practical but for once useful.

I have like at least 6 mascaras in my new product box and I feel like if anything were to happen, I would have another. Yet today when I went shopping I bought another mascara. My Nordies finally got lash envy in again.

However if anyone comes over to my house looking for a new look, we don't even have to leave the house. I can hook them up.

how old is old? like 1 year? anything longer than that you can pretty much chuck? i don't really wear make up, so i don't have that much stuff, but i have probably a lot of nail polish, face creams and lotions...

My friend is having a Christmas party this weekend. She is going to have a huge lot of extra makeup and skincare products for all the girls that show up to pick from. It is a great idea and nice for the holidays b/c it is a "gift." Both to her so she can get rid of things she never uses and free up space and for others who may actually use it! I probably will get something and I really don't need anything at all!!!

It is a very good rule, for every one new thing ( a sweater, a mascara, etc.) get rid of on old that is similiar. Easier said than done. I have a lot of body lotions and shower gels, I am making myself not buy any more till I use up what I have. Another thought would be to check out Makeup Alley as you can list things there for swap. Although, you probably don't want any more stuff!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should minimize all of this? I'm a hoarder. :crybaby: I really should stop.

just keep in mind, you can never keep those expensive makeup stuff for over a year or two, coz you need to change your sets of makeup on a regular basis. imagine the bacteria buildup on your sponges and brushes and stuff...

it's only gonna be an unnecessary continuous flow of expenses, yes?

just keep in mind, you can never keep those expensive makeup stuff for over a year or two, coz you need to change your sets of makeup on a regular basis. imagine the bacteria buildup on your sponges and brushes and stuff...

it's only gonna be an unnecessary continuous flow of expenses, yes?

No. The brushes for the most part are lifetime buys. They will last as long as you clean them. I don't own sponges. And as far as makeup goes as long as I don't use it, the new makeup will last at least a year.

It's really a question of getting rid of stuff I have used once or twice and haven't used since.

ooo you definitely have to get over the not-throwing out make-up thing. I have a similar problem, I feel bad throwing away half-used expensive mascara because its old. But then my friend got a bad eye infection. The doc said it may have been from old eye cosmetics! Pretty gross. I like to sort my make-up in pretty bags. Like all brushes in one bag, things for a 5 min face in another, random make-up I only sometimes use for going out... etc.

Just about to touch on this, makeup hoards bacteria so be careful keeping things to long.

Chuck the mascara now that they have that in.

Practice the 3 rule: one to use now, second in case you loose it, and third a back up when you run out of it.

What have you worn in the last week?

How similar is everything? I buy things for separate look. I have purples for a smokey look, and greens and golds for a different look, and probably will get one more darker eyeshadow to put on eyeliner, but then thats it.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU RECTIFY THIS! and think about it this way, the more you throw away, the more space you'll have for a new look, but then control yourself once you have the space.

I would first chuck the stuff you haven't touched in the past 6 months. Come on girl!

Then go in the past couple of months,

then the items you use rarely.

Then catagorize the rest into different looks for different aspects of your lifestyle ie. work, casual, formal, semi formal, and the more you overlap the better.

wow, I thought I was bad with my makeup collection that I never use! Makeup does go bad, so maybe you should give it away before you have to throw it away? Even if you layered, I mean caked, every makeup product that you own on your face every day, you still wouldn't use everything that you have. I just went through my makeup boxes today and tossed out some makeup that had gone bad; I wish I could have given it away because it was such a waste of money.

Your suppose to change your powder once every 1-1.5 months. Mascara aswell. Thats what Jay said from americas next top model. I just cleaned out my makeup case today. Tossed everything I dont use, or is dryed up. Keep the essentials. why do you feel that you need more makeup? hmmm, I think there might be under lying issues? :idea:

Im like with clothes, I buy clothes in mutiples just because. But, I learned to stop. I have facial products that I buy a ton off, use them a few times and then toss them. There is no reason to keep dumping money into these items if you arent using them or dont plan on it!

Your suppose to change your powder once every 1-1.5 months. Mascara aswell. Thats what Jay said from americas next top model.

Yes, the cosmetic companies speak with one voice on this. It is imperative, they say, that we all throw everything out every 6-8 weeks and buy all new.

I have eye shadow older than Jay Manuel. And it still works just fine.