I got my daughters' ears pierced! Help!

spylove22

O.G.
Jun 29, 2006
I got both of my daughters ears pierced (ages 5 and 7) 9 weeks ago. They wore the gold post earrings for 8 weeks and I cleaned them as instructed. Everything looked great until we tried to change earrings at 8 weeks. When I took the earrings out, it was really hard to put in the different pair on one of my daughters, like it wouldn't come out through the back. On the other daughter it was easy, she keeps switching earrings everyday but today it was really hard to get it in and it bled a little which got her a little traumatized and sad since she wants to change earrings everyday and were told that after 8 weeks it's ok. Can someone explain to me what is going on? When it doesn't come out the back, I start again trying to get the right angle, it's so hard though and she is super sensitive so it's really hard to keep doing it. Any tips, ideas on what to do? I keep cleaning them and make sure there is never a moment that the earrings are off so not to close up.

Have you been turning the earring too? They need to be turned so that the earring doesn't stick to the hole. They need to be properly cleaned to get rid of infection. I would say if the problem persists, then you need to make an appointment with a dermatologist. I have similiar issues with one of my holes and I decided to stop wearing earrings in the holes because of it. Next time I get my ears pieced, I would use a dermatologist rather than a place like walmart or claires.

The best thing to do is not to take them out for a least a few months.Let them heal Some people are more sensitive than others I had the same problem as your daughter.What worked best for me when I could not get the earring back in was to take a clean wet wash cloth wring it out, make it as hot as you can stand it place it on the earlobe front and back let it sit for a little bit have the earring ready as soon as you take the wash cloth off put the earring in this always worked for me.

2nd leaving them in for longer. At 8 weeks they are healed enough to change them, but they will still heal more in time, some people take longer. Also 2nd turning them. What kind of metal is the posts? You may have better luck with stainless steel for awhile until they are really good and healed.

This sounds kind of weird, but maybe try a place that is more of a body piercing studio? They are super good there at dealing with earring problems, I had thought my belly button was totally closed up at one point, but this the guy at the studio totally got it threaded back through there. That might be kind of weird for a little girl though.

I had 2nd holes pierced on my lobes and I had the same problem.. I'm 23 hahah

I did the turning of the jewelry and cleaned them morning and night, changed pillow cases every week but it still bled and was sore after 10 wks, I guess because I slept on them they took awhile longer to heal! I also kept wearing the earrings that were used to pierce the holes.

When it bleeds I used diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean them, it gets all the gunk and dried blood out as it fizzes. Just keep doing that and it should be fine. If it gets infected, see your GP for some antibiotics to keep the nasties at bay! Warm salt water baths also help heaps!!

I would buy her a pair of nice earrings that she loves that are real gold. Leave those in and let them heal. Yes, turn them too, a lot! They take a while to heal sometimes.

I had a pretty similar thing happen when i was younger.. I got my ears pierced at the mall (I was about 8 years old) and left them in for the recommended 3 months, I turned them and cleaned them and did everything I was supposed to. Every time I would try to change my earrings, they bled and if I left them out for more than 15 minutes or so, they closed up. Every time they were touched, they hurt. (whether it was by accident with my hand, or by my hair, or by putting my head on a pillow) I finallly gave up and took them out. I ended up leaving them out for about 4 years. I got them repierced by a doctor (well, nurse practitioner, actually) I once again did everything I was supposed to, and they have been fine ever since. Although, I can't leave my earrings out for more than 15 minutes still, because they still close up quickly.

I have a lot of experience with piercings and I have had a lot of ear piercings. Here's a tip. It's easier to switch earrings after a shower or a bath. Make sure your daughters are wearing their earrings at all times, including in the shower or bath. Even though they tell you 8 weeks is enough healing, you shouldn't mess with the piercings until you're sure that they are completely healed and you can change earrings without any pain. Just leave the original pair they were pierced with in for a few more weeks to allow for the hole to toughen up a little. And for cleaning, I recommend doing a compress with a pinch of sea salt and warm water. It's great for getting the gunk and bacteria out and it'll be easier to slide in jewelry after the soak.

I was surprised that no one suggested the following. (My ears have been pierced for 10 years but I don't wear earrings on a daily basis and so it's sometimes hard for me to get the earring in.) After I use alcohol to clean the earring post and my ear, I lightly coat the post with neosporin or bacitracin.
The earring slides right into the hole (it acts as a lubricant as well as an antibacterial). Hope this helps!

We went to the jewelry store and she picked out some cherry studs, very cute. We got home I did the alcohol cleaning and neosporin and it went in fine but the posts were so short and they had screw backs, there was no way I could screw those in, I think they were for babies and the SA recommended them. So I had to take them out and put in the starter ones, they went in fine too, but the starter ones are harder to put in because of the sharp end and they are harder to take of too. Should she keep the starter ones in (from Claires supposedly 14k gold) or should I buy different gold studs, which ones are better for her ears at this point (in terms of thickness of post, etc.)?

I had my ears pierced last year. I did not do it the right way and only kept the starters in for a couple of weeks. After that I kept changing earring on a daily basis, since I went overboard with shopping and wanted to put them all to good use. :smile: The holes kept getting infected and bled well into the the forth month. They would be ok one week and hurt the next. It was fine after 4 months. I can wear anything now, even sterling silver (I thought I was allergic to it). Just wait a little longer. Some people take longer to heal.

Your daughter is lucky if her ears are thick and she needs longer posts because IMO earrings sit better in a thicker ear lobe. There's no sagging or hole stretching, etc. My ears are paper thin (ok maybe not that thin, but still too thin) and my daughter's earlobes are thick. You can get earring with longer posts. I'd bring those new earrings back for something with a longer post. I had forgotten that the piercing earrings are sharp! But at this point, I think all the taking out and putting in of earrings might have irritated her tender ears, and I'd wait a few days before subjecting her to changing the earrings. Maybe because her lobes are thick it takes longer to heal?

I used to manage for Claires years ago and did a million and one piercings for them (and yes, they do sell real gold earrings!).. not just plated gold or fake gold lol. After 8 weeks they are okay to change but that doesnt mean they are completely healed. It can take months. Since they are still healing, changing them everyday is obviously going to make them irritated. At this point, it doesnt really matter whether you use the starter earrings with a thicker post or whether you would like to use a smaller/regular post. You waited up to 8 weeks with the larger post.. which was only meant to stretch the ear enough to easily be able to change into a smaller post. When you go to buy more earrings, you will be buying ones with smaller posts anyway, so a bigger post is not necessary unless you plan on keeping big posts in there all the time. However either ones are fine considering she doesnt really have any other complications. I would give the ears a rest for a couple weeks, then (at most) change them on a weekly basis if she insists on having different earrings. I think that should be okay. Just give them a rest for a while. :smile:

^^Excellent advice!

When my daughter was 11, I took her to get her ears pierced and on impulse got mine pierced too (I was over 40!). We both went through a lot with our ears that I think could have been prevented by leaving the starter earrings in past 8 weeks, and then not changing so often for the first few months.

I agree with fetish 100% that the ears are not healed at 8 weeks. Truly I don't think our ears were healed until 6 months out. And we both had to consciously think about earrings, cleaning, and occasional soreness for a year. We both used to get hard bumps around the piercing that would go away after time.

I agree with fetish too that you should give her ears a rest and leave a pair in for a couple weeks, and then change only weekly for the next few months.

I think given time everything will settle down!