I feel lost....My Friends & LV

like everybody else, i too feel the exact same frustrations. although my family kinda appreciates LV, they don't have the same mania as i do. friends are a bit alright with it, but sometimes they kinda tease me about it ("what, no LV kitchen sink?"). that's why i like it here in the forum. though nothing beats face-to-face conversations :yes: cheer up, we're all pretty much the same here.

I love this thread and this forum, as I'm in the same predicament. My DH and family knows I'm a designer freak. I can only relate with two of my sisters about the latest collection or my latest purchase, but they live out of state with a time difference. So I shoot them an email or try to call them (w/o getting voicemail) right after I purchased an item before my "super buyers high" wears off. It's the everyday peeps at work and/or friends. They're not into what I'm obsessed with. People at work know I love designer goods and compliment me on everything I sport. But no one that is fashion/designer saive (sp?) I can share my inner thoughts and obsession, ya know? This PF is my sanction and connection to those who are all on the same wave length.

same here, which is why i happily join this forum. many times, people think that i am crazy to spend this much money on LV. to them, having one bag is enough and 2 is plenty. i always get excited when someone ask me about my LV or any bags, and i will go on and on. it is a good thing that my husband is slowly getting there, he even helps me to buy LV bags when he travels to europe.

i never had an expensive purse addiction; i've always liked bags, but i never spent more than $25 on them. One of my best friends is a Coach lunatic; I never understood it. I had several Coach bags, that i liked fine, but once i was no longer working (now a stay at home mom) i figured i'd sell my coach bags and buy one, really good, really nice bag- an lv- because they never go out of style. since i figured i would not buy another bag for years, a classic would be a good choice. long story short, i got addicted. i don't know what's in the vachetta, but it's sooooooooo addictive. i now understand my friend's obsession with coach.

twiggers said:
My hubby couldn't care less about the purses...he kind of just shrugs his shoulders...which is fine with me.
But anyways....at school I have a bunch of girlfriends....but I feel so lost. I love my LVs and my obsession with them, and would love to have great face-to-face conversations with people about LV and my love of it. BUT...these girls are all in their early 20s (I'm in my late 20s), single, and couldn't give a hoot about LV or anything "high end". Even before this obsession it wasn't like we were really super close or anything....

same here! i'm in my early 20s and none of my school girlfriends can afford them. Sometimes i go shopping with them they'll even refuse to go in to those branded boutique and instead wait for me outside as they don't feel comfortable:shrugs:For my hubby he will says nice to everything when he's not even paying attention to it. Well, that's because he is a man. I was so surprised and excited when i found out tPF:yahoo:

That's what make tPF so great!! I think the majority of us feel the same way. I have a friend who loves fashion and shopping like I do, but she lives in another province. No one else I know has any interest in purses, shoes, or shopping. Don't worry, you are not alone!

ooh girl, i feel the same... i couldn't talk to any of my friends but only with my family and dear bf about my obsession... My friends are like oooh you're just wasting money for your bags, hell i dont give a sh:censor: .. hehe:roflmfao: Don't worry, we're all the same...:roflmfao:

twiggers said:
So I started back at school the other day.
I started here on tPF right around the time school was ending, and prior to that I had 1 LV (and now am at around 10 or so)....anyways I love to share my exciting news with everyone on tPF (especially you girls/guys). My hubby couldn't care less about the purses...he kind of just shrugs his shoulders...which is fine with me.
But anyways....at school I have a bunch of girlfriends....but I feel so lost. I love my LVs and my obsession with them, and would love to have great face-to-face conversations with people about LV and my love of it. BUT...these girls are all in their early 20s (I'm in my late 20s), single, and couldn't give a hoot about LV or anything "high end". Even before this obsession it wasn't like we were really super close or anything....
I guess it's not their "thing"....which is understandable and they're great friends nonetheless. But I just feel like I don't fit in anymore...they rolled their eyes today as I was trying to fit my BV into a shopping bag because it was lightening outside and I didn't want to get rain on my purse.
I feel a better connection to you guys and I've never even met any of you....but you share my passion:love: for LV.

Is there something wrong with me?
I feel like LV is kind of like my "hobby/passion" and there is no one IRl to share it with :sad:

Aww, twiggers, there's nothing wrong with you for loving vuitton! ;) I don't have a lot of people who I can ramble on about my likes for vuitton and other designer stuffs (although I tend to, and had successfully influenced those around me to buy nicer purses! :lol: )

I think part of it has to do with not wanting to come off as a snob/material girl/bragger/or otherwise a "show-off." Only when someone had commented on my bag or TELLS me they love designer purses would I go off on my passion for vuitton/other purses, etc. :smile:

Yea, I know exactly how that feels..! I am in similar situation as you..! I had just gotten back to college and most of my classmates are younger than me, though it's only 2-3 years gap. I feel that the gap is SO huge..! We can only talk about school stuffs and can't really hang out together much after classes. Even those who are same age as me, I somehow feel like they are much younger than me.

When they saw me carrying LVs to college, they'd try to "dig" info and see if I'm super rich... :rolleyes: Asking me questions about the price of my bags... I just feel so uncomfortable..! Frankly speaking, I DO NOT come from a rich family, in fact, I'm working part-time to support myself and taking study loan to complete my degree..! Some of them who found out that I have to WORK (*gasp!*:wtf: :rolleyes: ) part time started asking me why am I spending so much for bags when I have to work so hard and giving me those guilt trips... They couldn't really understand and thought that I'm nuts. I think some of them even thought that I'm a snobby, materialistic, hypocrite girl who tries to "pretend" rich by carrying LVs that I had actually "hard-earned". :Push:

Somehow, I had never thought that carrying LVs can act as a status symbol and it's a myth that LVs can ONLY be owned by very rich people..! :rolleyes: It really depends on how much you love a bag and willing to spend on it. I'm willing to own only 1 LV as opposed to owning 15-20 cheaper bags. Also, I know how to manage my own money and don't need anyone telling me how to have my money better spent on such and such items..! As long as I'm not in-debts because of buying LVs (which I'm definitely not!) and can settle all my important neccessity bills plus have some "for emergency" savings, I don't mind the rest of the money goes into my LV fund and see nothing wrong with it! :P

Anyway, I'm grateful that I have my best friend to share my designers bags obsessions with. Though she's not an LV fan, she's a shopaholic too and we can basically talk nonstop about shopping and designers' stuffs. Well, I guess my classmates will remain as classmates only and nothing more. It's not easy to "click" with people nowadays. That's why we need places like tPF to unite us bag addicts..! ;)

I :heart: tPF..!

You're not alone. But I find joy just looking at my bags and that's enough for me. I have BF to share the joy with (he loves learning about the bags and how to tell it's fake) so it's not that bad really.

LOL I feel your pain, Twiggers! That is similar to my situation as well (I;m 22).

Even if you do try to talk about your LV obsession, people then think u are rude, stuck up, etc.... ugh!!

seems like i am slightly luckier than you girls...
when i first started becoming obessed with designer purses... i have already have several ppl in my life who are loving them too...
in a way, *they* influence me to like designer purses... :smile:

however, i think when i tell them, yeah i saw this bag and whatnot from tPF, i get this feeling that they think i am a nerd or weird because i am quoting tPF... lol :nuts:

but the guys at work would tease me about the bags.... they think i am silly to care so much about purses.... :supacool:

bagsnbags said:
That's why PF is a great place..
none of friends from work care about purses let alone designer purses. I have couple of friends love designer purses but they ar either overseas or llive in different states. So I am forever grateful being part of this wonderful "community"..No one judge me with my obsession..

That's why I come onto this board, there is no way in hell that I would be able to talk about LV bags with any of my friends, colleagues, or DH. When he catches me typing furiously on Tpf, he always checks to see what I am up to. I tell him it's either the forum or him, so he is quite happy to not have to hear about me blabbing about pochettes.

This forum is my only outlet for "shallow obsessing," and trust me, I need some frivolity in my life--my job is pretty demanding. I let my friends roll their eyes at me and I carry a cheap tote bag to work (but of course, I keep my black MC cozy purse tucked inside :P) to avoid getting flack from co-workers, but my free time is LV time!