I can't believe what I just saw.....

vhdos

May 18, 2007
So, I was in my mall in Durham, NC and I walk by this kiosk in the middle of the mall that is selling handbags and jewelry. As I get closer I notice that the bags are all fake Chanels. Then I notice that all of the jewelry is fake Chanel too. I am SO disgusted. Is that even legal? I know that selling fake bags is big business but I didn't think I would see it right in the middle of the mall! This is a fairly upscale mall too or at least as upscale as you can get for Durham, NC. Has anyone else seen this in a mall? I'm going to call the mall and complain.

At the mall I shop at (upscale as well... closest NM to me), they have a stand like that! I was looking at some pretty sparkly pins, and all of a sudden I noticed fake Chanel jewelry! Necklaces, earrings, pins, etc.! The woman was very nice, but it was so awkward, because I was wearing my real costume jewelry while she was trying to peddle the fake garbage to me (obviously I wasn't the least bit interested). I guess so long as you pay to have a stand, the mall doesn't care what you are selling and to whom. :sad:

Hmmm, I think there was a similar discussion over in the Coach forum a few months ago. From what I remember, the answer was that the designs and logo on the fake merchandise can be really close to the real thing but as long as they aren't identical to genuine merchandise, and the sellers don't advertise that they are selling authentic stuff, it is totally legal to make and sell. Its the difference between being a counterfeit item and being a brand-inspired one. i.e., Chanel vs. Shanel or Chamel, lol.

It sucks but its true.

Yepp. Every time i go to the mall i see these stands. That's when I realized that people don't always sell fake bags just on the streets in NYC. It's sick. There's a whole stand in the middle of my local mall with fake Chanel cambons, and every time I pass by it I just want to glare. But I guess to some people, it's not even a fake bag to them it's just a pretty bag, KWIM? Like people that don't know what Chanel is or any designers?

I can't believe I didn't realize that selling fake/replica merchandise was allowed in the malls. I'm going to file a complaint with my mall and I hope they take it seriously. I'm so disgusted. I've always hated fakes but now I hate them even more.

Is this the mall down the street from Duke University with the Ruby Tuesday there? BTW, I saw a stand like this in downtown Albuquerque just outside some businesses. I couldn't believe the city allows this person to sell fake Chanel bags in the middle of a downtown area. I was totally disgusted.

I can't believe I didn't realize that selling fake/replica merchandise was allowed in the malls. I'm going to file a complaint with my mall and I hope they take it seriously. I'm so disgusted. I've always hated fakes but now I hate them even more.

I have seen those stands as well in various large malls. I don't get it. One step further: the "fake" handbag parties that women go to and spend several hundred dollars on a bag. How do those happen? And, I don't understand why you wouldn't save the money spent on 2-5 'fake' handbags and just get one real bag...but, I guess some people believe in quantity over quality...I actually know women who brag they spent $350 +/- on a Chanel and are 'sportin' it. Don't know what to say....I could not do that. Ugh.

Hi! I was in the mall (Streets at Southpoint) in Durham yesterday and I noticed there was a stand that carried Chanel fakes. I've also seen a lot of teens and women carrying the fake pink Chanel Cambon reporter (the stand had one on display) and fake Cambon tote also. Now I know where they get them!

I'm appalled that people don't mind purchasing fakes since it's a violation of copyright laws. Perhaps they should teach this in school ? I'm an artist of all sorts so I know when people copy your work, it hurts you in the pocket (especially if it's a small business). However, when I'm with my girlfriends and I see someone carrying it, I point them out and give them tips on spotting the fakes ;) In fact, it's pretty much become a game (like spotting cars/trucks on a long car ride)! 1 Fake, 2 fake, 3 fake ...

And this also applies to LV but even more so (multicolor, Speedy, Mezzo tote).

Hi Malinda. Would you mind filing a complaint with the Streets at Southpoint? That's the same mall I was referring to and i just filed a complaint on their web site. Maybe if enough people complain, they will do something about getting that merchant removed. Don't you just hate seeing all of those fake Cambon's all over that mall? I won't even wear my Beige Cambon anymore for that very reason. By the way, it's nice to talk to another NC girl!

I have a Cambon tote, the pink one and I love it except I constantly see teenagers with that same bag and I am almost positive they are fakes. It makes me not want to take mine out that much. It is not right. If people want to sell fakes they should have to say FAKE by the logo or something.

i have heard of this before in the US, they were talkig about it on the lv forum, a lot complained about it, but i dont think anything can be done, because they are not saying they are real. i know its really awful, and when you see young girls with a simlar bag does not bare thinking about.there is a big bag company on the interent, selling replica's how do they get away with it. i have not noticed it over in the uk so much, but some one correct me if i'm wrong. but then we have evil bay for all our fakes alfie x

yea i see this kiosks too everywere they have more LV luggages and all that, i dont know if bag replicas are taken as cds or movies replicas?
since i know that its illegal to say that they are real when they are fake, but i dont know if they say its inspired would that be the same crime, since some fakes dont even have the cc some look like 00 and some replica bags are not the exact imitation. but if theres a law that supports this plz let me know, maybe a complaint will help but wut about the other malls.

The mall in Fairfield, CA. has a stand that appears to just sell regular purses and jewelry, but if you start talking to the guy, he shows you the fake stuff that he has hidden. He told me he was busted for it and so now he hides it. It's creepy and it made me feel uncomfortable.