I am ready to let go of the rest of my LV bags and simplify my life with less.

My husband is a hoarder and collects different things. Most of this stuff is in the basement and his home office. He has bins and bins of carefully wrapped car parts(most new) that might have been needed for his 5 Mercedes vintage cars. (Yes he boarded cars): Thankfully he is down to two Mercedes cars left which basically stay in the garage and he agreed to sell since he bought a new Subaru which he loves because it never needs a repair. So all these hard to find car parts can be sold for some decent money too since many are impossible to find for certain make and models of cars. Then he has his toy minitaure collector car collection on bookshelves in the basement. One part of the basement has a nice family room, uncluttered. I basically am just so sick of looking at stuff and want no clutter and less things.

I have been reading a few books the past two years on leading a more simple life and letting go of possessions that one doesn’t need. It is easy to look around at your house and see things that one may be keeping for some reason but it has no real purpose in their life. For example I had bins of Christmas ornaments. For some reason for many years relatives wanted to keep giving me them because I had kids and they didn’t or they stopped putting up big trees. I just didn’t need all of this. So last year the kids and I went through what we loved and donated the rest. No regrets. Did the same thing with my China and all sorts of things one somehow acquires. I had lots of dust collector things that just took up space. Many were gifts and because things were Lenox, Waterford, or something $ I was supposed to keep it forever? So I gave things away or donated them. Now I have one small China cabinet with a few pieces of pottery that I love from years ago and some scented candles. No more odd things that take up space. I also have no desire to decorate my house in any Holliday theme top to bottom for different holidays. So many things were donated again. I want clean and simple. I do decorate my fireplace and have things in the front entrance area but I am not one to decorate all staircases and every inch of table space like a few of my friends. When I see too much stuff it make me feel a bit of anxiety like things are too busy. I want to feel calm in rooms.

Today I spent hours doing a small project and I am almost finished. My hubby had three bookcases with doors in the family room filled with unique car magazines, from Europe or on classic cars along with tons of Mercedes related books, magazines and brochures. Yes he bought all this crap on Ebay. So I separated everything into bins. Easy to organize each bin and sell back on eBay if some fool will buy it or donate so some other fool can have it..... what a nice feeling to have this open space in the family room. And of course he has never read at least 90% of the stuff he bought.

The more one starts to organize and be brutal with letting go the better you feel. For me it is not easy getting things out of the house because hubby works from home and snoops when he sees me doing things like this. So perhaps living with too much stuff for ages makes me want to live with less of everything. My son who just graduated college is on board and he is a wonderful shopper. Realizes quality made items works out better than cheaper things one only gets one season from. And he feels he does not need a lot of stuff. Now that he just started a professional job he cleaned out his closets and gave me 5 bags of clothing for friends sons or to donate. I think it is great he can start young and realize one does not have to spend all this money on things to fill up space. I also have a daughter in college who worked all summer and loves the malls. She is now starting to realize the difference in clothing from super cheap teen mall stores to clothing made with better fabrics like silk, linen and cashmere. So hopefully she can build on this and not rush to buy every fat fashion of the moment.

If some gets serious and just sits and look around their house I am sure they can find things they don’t need. Many of my friends still have clothing from high school, because you need your prom dress 25 years later. They can’t let go so items continue to take up space in their house. I donated my wedding gown and my moms wedding gown so someone else could use it. Even if it was for crafts it was better than sitting in a chest. Every friend I told this too said they would never be able to let go of their wedding dress and was shocked I could do this. So things hold different value to every person. I look around and feel there is still so much work to do before I am satisfied with my space. But it will eventually happen. And as I age I think I am over the materialistic value of things. I was hesitant to get a LV monogram speedy 40 last month because I was so over monogram designer anything but realized the bag will last me forever and I can use it everyday and it serves my needs. I want d canvas versus a leather bag. My LV bags have lasted over 20 years with a lot of use and still looked good. I can let go of so many other things and feel like I just don’t need more to replace what I get rid of. While I can admire others people items I don’t feel I need to have them.

I do spend some money on things that make me smile, I have started gardening as a hobby and love to buy unusual herb plants and some unique flower seeds. I planted a large vegetable garden this year too. I can repurpose things and repaint them to fix up the garden areas. I guess maybe I feel I am going into a different direction with my life and it will be exciting to see where the journey takes me.

Love this post

From watching and talking to friends and family many people are just not able to let go of so many things and will save them even if they no longer will ever be used or serve any purpose. Some of my friends have bins filled with every piece of art their kids did since kindergarten and their kids are in college or married now. I kept a few and framed them and threw the rest away. Why is there a need to save things like this? I have seen more collections of misc. stuff people put away never to be used again or thrown from the basement to attic or garage with then not even knowing what is in the bins or boxes. I remember helping to empty my parents house when they died. The stuff one found that was saved for years was just crazy. And my friends dealt with the same things too.

As we move from our parents home and start our own life a person can easily get caught up into thinking they need so many things. I myself have bought or received so many items throughout my life that I now never use or need. At one time many things can serve a purpose but people’s life can change and go in a different direction where one may no longer have needs to use or own what they had before. Through the years I was able to donate or give to friends many things and this made me happy that they could use it. But hubby was also a hoarder who I had to deal with so things were also difficult for me.

Once you start to unclutter and see some progress it is easy to continue. In my own life I can’t think of any material possessions aside from photographs that have such strong emotional ties to me. A few pieces of jewelry maybe but I would not have a breakdown if I lost or misplaced any item.

I have been watching the news with hurricane Florence and see some people who are not evacuating and staying in their home because they can’t leave their material possessions. For many years I lived in Florida on the water or a few houses from the beach and we evacuated for many storms with very minimal possessions. Things could be replaced and many things one could live without and survive.

Today hubby and I were able to put quite a few things out for our bulk garbage pickup. Yes hubby the hoarder is learning to let go....... People drive around and take stuff so anything decent will find a new home. Hopefully I can get more out tomorrow.

I also have been looking at real estate online because we hope to move next year and it very motivating to see how great a house looks uncluttered versus every wall and shelf filled with things. It makes a difference in the feel of a house when it has space to breath. I was at my relatives house last night and slept over in a very simple guest room and I felt so calm and relaxed in there. I want this for my space.

Another post I love
So agree...

Last edited:
The more I am clearing out the more motivated I am to continue. Seriously my husband is a hoarder......that alone can be very difficult to deal with because he doesn’t realize there is a problem or even the mess it creates. And it is hit and miss in getting rid of things. But very slowly hubby is actually letting go of some things, we removed most of the storage bins from out above the garage storage area this week. Most of the bins have been stored up there when we first moved in 14 years ago or added through the years. I am very happy to say hubby was able to actually just throw things out. And the stuff we found up there was interesting to me. But all were things we did not need. He did have some new expensive car rims for his vintage cars which he will sell but there was a lot of items I can send to the thrift shop and junk will be thrown out. This is a minor dent in clearing out.

I am away at a relatives this weekend and actually have my azur neverfull wrapped in a box to drop off at UPS to a consignment store. Feel no regrets about getting rid of it. Looking to send out my other two LV next week which will basically leave me with one LV purse and the large toiletry pouch and small vernis agenda which I will keep.

Now I have a funny story to tell. I bought a Speedy 40 two months ago and love it. I bought it preloved in like new condition at a very decent price. Vachetta is still very light and it is spotless. I have been using it daily and been very happy. So I am at my relatives house and I trade her my Speedy for a Montsouris GM in excellent condition. The story behind the GM is that it was originally mine-I traded it to her maybe two years ago and she doesn’t really love backpacks or use it. This was one bag I regretted getting rid of because it is very hard to find in excellent condition. I was thinking of getting one before I bought my Speedy but could never find one on the preloved market in good shape.
We think this is funny how we trade LV but they always are my Original LVs traded to her for other designers throughout the years. So I am still down to keeping one LV and as much as I loved the Speedy I feel a Speedy can be found easier than my Montsouris GM. And my best friend just ordered a Montsouris MM last night from a consignment store after looking for three months so I guess these bags are still in demand.

I was cleaning out the master bathroom again the other day and literally took one huge round garbage can in the room and went under the sinks and in cabinets, shelves and threw all sorts of stuff away. I thought I did a good job last month but now I was serious about just getting rid of things. I sometimes have to work slowly so hubby does not notice things are gone. He is still a hoarder at heart. He actually was upset because I threw a new bar of soap out from the shower. It was this huge bar that kept falling off the soap holder when I was cleaning the shower so I threw it out. And he noticed because he just put it in the shower. So this is my life and what I deal with. I told him I hated the smell and to go upstairs and smell it. He actually did and took it out of the garbage and said I was right it smelled of perfume and apologized to me. Lol. And then he told me to only buy the Lush soap he likes. I sometimes just laugh at the crazy.
But I can honestly say he is changing and seems kind of motivated which I never thought would happen. To see him empty whole bins in the garbage and say let’s just throw it out (like the broken in box pressure cleaner or wrapped Christmas tree in box is major progress).

I actually recleaned my closet this week too. I have one new bag for the thrif store. I was a bit more serious in if I didn’t wear it, do no love it and feel good in it let it go. I had a few things I saved because they were new and I thought I would eventually wear them but I felt I said this 6 months ago thinking I would wear it by now. I really feel the capsule wardrobe with black, white, grey is working well for me. I don’t want anything with prints, ruffles, or things that look busy. Clean classic lines in quality fabrics that will last more than one season. Nice fabrics that feel good against my skin. Have no desire to shop at any stores. Malls don’t interest me. I see friends who live to shop a few times a week and yet they never have enough clothes or seem to always need a new wardrobe each season.

When I get home tomorrow I hope to continue with my journey. At times I feel it is slow and I may only do one closet but the before and after results are amazing. It feels so good to release things taking up space. I can truly say I don’t have any emotional attachment to anything materialistic. Of course there are things like my children’s pictures as they grow that I cherish and will keep but I don’t feel a big need to save most things. It is not like I see an item and say I need this and have to keep it or I can’t get rid of it because of xxx reason. I can decide do I really want this in my life and if the answer is no I can find a new home for it.

I think when I first joined TPF I felt the need to accumulate a huge collection of bags (I think partly because I would see reveals every day that would make me feel like I should be spending thousands on bags every week or every month. I sometimes struggle with wanting to “keep up with” whoever but cut down my collection drastically to things I love that really work for me or have serious sentimental value. I went from 15 bags to 7, and am super pleased. I also have to keep things in perspective, because for many, a splurge bag is $300, and I used to feel that way but now am desensitized!

It did help that after all the buying and selling, I have found my “must haves” in a bag— outside pockets, a crossbody strap, comfy over the shoulder, must fit a Microsoft surface if needed, and that has cut down my yen to buy new ones and brought up my appreciation for what I have.

I was at my relatives house this past weekend and we started to clean one of her huge closets. A room 16 x 14 feet. I was cleaning all her LV bags and a few leather designer bags. I bought a box of my leather cleaners, conditioners, etc.

As I sat there working she said “I forgot I even had that bag, I never use it”. When one owns so many items that the forget what they own how could they enjoy them?

Cute story about me being gone.... hubby and two kids at home. Ages 22 and 20. Son texts me we would never eat healthy food if you were not here to cook for us. He was in and out all weekend. Apparently hubby ordered take out and they went out to eat. So I come home and start to clean out the fridge. Before I left I made meatballs, pasta, there was also cooked chicken and a veggi rice dish all in glass containers for easy reheat.
Hubby says “I didn’t know there was food in the fridge”. So three people could not notice healthy home cooked meals in their face when you open the door of the fridge?...

I spent about two hours working in my sons room (age 22) while he was at work. I wanted to put up new curtain rods and curtains and a rug down. His room felt a bit closed in and not really cluttered but no calm feeling. So I rearranged his furniture. I moved his bed by the window and a few piece set of furniture around. I basically just swept and mopped the floor and washed the windows. He is pretty neat and cleans his own room, bathroom and does his own laundry. But just by the rearranging things his whole room felt so open and has a very calm relaxing feeling when you walk in.

Prrhaps when one may feel they have clutter or the space is not working just by making a few simple changes you can have a different feeling in the whole room. Now instead of his bed being next to a big two door closet it is by the window and he has a view. The closet area is clear for a open area where I added his metal rolling shelf unit against the wall for a L shape. Now I am motivated to go change my room around again. I love to move furniture for new looks. I could never live in a room where the furniture stayed in the same position for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: tealocean
I think when I first joined TPF I felt the need to accumulate a huge collection of bags (I think partly because I would see reveals every day that would make me feel like I should be spending thousands on bags every week or every month. I sometimes struggle with wanting to “keep up with” whoever but cut down my collection drastically to things I love that really work for me or have serious sentimental value. I went from 15 bags to 7, and am super pleased. I also have to keep things in perspective, because for many, a splurge bag is $300, and I used to feel that way but now am desensitized!

It did help that after all the buying and selling, I have found my “must haves” in a bag— outside pockets, a crossbody strap, comfy over the shoulder, must fit a Microsoft surface if needed, and that has cut down my yen to buy new ones and brought up my appreciation for what I have.

I think so many of us are forever searching for that perfect bag. I was at a relatives house this weekend and cleaned many of her designer bags as we organized her closet. I played with all my old bags we traded or I sold to her. I realized why many did not work. It is easy to buy because something is beautiful and seems perfect but the reality can be so different in terms of function.

Seems like the past few years I experimented with buying different brands of bags as well as sizes and shakes. I’ve figured out what works and what doesn’t. My husband and I are also reaching an age where the accumulation of things no longer matter compared to the big picture of life. It’s been a long fun journey of bag shopping but I’m downsizing my bag collection to about 5 and letting go of others. I love my bags but I love simplicity of life more. It feels cleansing!

Seems like the past few years I experimented with buying different brands of bags as well as sizes and shakes. I’ve figured out what works and what doesn’t. My husband and I are also reaching an age where the accumulation of things no longer matter compared to the big picture of life. It’s been a long fun journey of bag shopping but I’m downsizing my bag collection to about 5 and letting go of others. I love my bags but I love simplicity of life more. It feels cleansing!

I can relate to this. I hit a milestone b-day September '18 and a few months before (May) I had a medical issue that usually kills people, but I survived it. Both of those things shifted my perspective. I used be on a buying and selling merry-go-round, but I've decided to get off that ride. I did buy one B-day bag, a Chanel WOC I've had my eye on for years, but that's it and there are no new bags on my wishlist. I have sold about 15 luxe items since May and I feel lighter and better. it's been a massive shift, so I find myself on these boards daily now. It's withdrawals I think, lol, but I suspect soon I'll ease off TPF.

I think it is extremely difficult for many people to let go of things. I am amazed at the items many people kept that really hold no purpose in life.
As I was opening some bins in my basement I cam across my moms china. It is not something expensive but dishes used for the holidays only. I don’t need it and it was stored unopened for over 10 years. I forgot I had it. My kids don’t want it. So I will find someone who can use it versus having it sit in bins.