I am ready to let go of the rest of my LV bags and simplify my life with less.

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I am on a journey to have a capsule wardrobe and wear what I love and not have things sitting in the closet. I have sold many bags in the past 3-4 years and have been ready to send things out for consignment but stopped at the last minute a few times. Realizing what works for my needs now and feel I can let go of some bags I have loved but perhaps others will wear and enjoy them more.

I recently bought a Speedy 40 in monogram and it is my everyday bag and I really love the bigger size. I also took out my vintage unused large toiletry pouch this summer with the horrible sticky lining and removed the lining and painted the inside with fabric paint. I am selling or consigning all my leather bags too so basically I feel I will be left with a very simple wardrobe but will use my items daily. I have three LV’s to sell/consign which are bags I thought I would never sell but the Speedy is really working out better than my other bags much to my surprise.

Has anyone else made a big change like this where they feel less is better than more? I feel like we are such a materialistic society and everyone always needs wants more and more and in the end there is just too much stuff in our lives. I think of bags I got rid of and have thought I felt regrets feel regrets for some but now but after thinking realize that they are not as perfect as I thought. For instance I got rid of my perforated speedy and always wished I didn’t but after having my Speedy 40 I think the 30 is so much smaller and I remember feeling it was. While I also had a 35 and sold it I think the 40 is working better for me. I feel it has room to add so much if needed. So this is my journey for now. It is quite refreshing to actually let go of things and and see the change.

This week I cleaned out my shoes and have a big bag for donations and will probably add a few more things to it. I did the hallway coat closet too and only left a winter coat and vest for snow since my sweater jacket and wraps will work out better in fall than all these jackets I never wear. I was amazed at the stuff I found buried in the back sides of this big closet. Things I kept because I might need them I now realize if I haven’t worn it I will not use it in the future. Hopefully as the weeks go by I will make more progress.

I am on a journey to have a capsule wardrobe and wear what I love and not have things sitting in the closet. I have sold many bags in the past 3-4 years and have been ready to send things out for consignment but stopped at the last minute a few times. Realizing what works for my needs now and feel I can let go of some bags I have loved but perhaps others will wear and enjoy them more.

I recently bought a Speedy 40 in monogram and it is my everyday bag and I really love the bigger size. I also took out my vintage unused large toiletry pouch this summer with the horrible sticky lining and removed the lining and painted the inside with fabric paint. I am selling or consigning all my leather bags too so basically I feel I will be left with a very simple wardrobe but will use my items daily. I have three LV’s to sell/consign which are bags I thought I would never sell but the Speedy is really working out better than my other bags much to my surprise.

Has anyone else made a big change like this where they feel less is better than more? I feel like we are such a materialistic society and everyone always needs wants more and more and in the end there is just too much stuff in our lives. I think of bags I got rid of and have thought I felt regrets feel regrets for some but now but after thinking realize that they are not as perfect as I thought. For instance I got rid of my perforated speedy and always wished I didn’t but after having my Speedy 40 I think the 30 is so much smaller and I remember feeling it was. While I also had a 35 and sold it I think the 40 is working better for me. I feel it has room to add so much if needed. So this is my journey for now. It is quite refreshing to actually let go of things and and see the change.

This week I cleaned out my shoes and have a big bag for donations and will probably add a few more things to it. I did the hallway coat closet too and only left a winter coat and vest for snow since my sweater jacket and wraps will work out better in fall than all these jackets I never wear. I was amazed at the stuff I found buried in the back sides of this big closet. Things I kept because I might need them I now realize if I haven’t worn it I will not use it in the future. Hopefully as the weeks go by I will make more progress.

Reactions: Michelle Boyle
Your post is so refreshing. I agree: our culture is extremely materialistic and always tells us to buy more. I just got a new bag (Hermès Evelyne) a month ago and I already feel the itch to buy again. I mean, really?! I need to remind myself that excess is not good.

As I get older I am more careful about my purchases. I don’t want clutter either. I am slowly selling things I don’t use, but it’s hard as I have a slight hoarder tendency.

Kudos to you for wanting to simplify your life. At the end of the day, we probably end up using only 15% of what we have. I end up using mainly two bags in my collection and it is a challenge to use the rest.

May I ask how you got to this point? I’d love to hear how you felt inspired to declutter.

I am working on reducing my wardrobe. After a trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe over the summer I saw how little people had and how little they needed to be happy. I felt a little guilty because of the abundance of stuff I have. I decided not to buy a single new article of clothing for a year. I plan to wear everything that I own and sell or donate the things I no longer want. I do seem to have a harder time letting go of designer bags though. I feel that some of them are classics and I will regret letting them go. Some were also purchased to mark major milestones and accomplishments in my life. Hopefully I’ll get to a point where I can let them go. I did decide to sell a Chanel wallet that no longer suites my needs. There is a great “Cleaning Out the Closet” thread here where we encourage each other to get rid of the things we no longer want and need.

I am more careful with my purchases than I was when I first started with LV. I was going with hand held bags which don't work for me. I prefer crossbody. I have sold all of my original collection and now currently have a small collection that works for me. Currently 3 LV bags and 3 Coach. I'm going to add one more LV and I will be satisfied with my collection! (Edit: I also have a few slgs)

OP, have fun with your decluttering decision/project!!

I have been walking down this path for the last 5-6 years after two international relocations. I was so overwhelmed with my things n stuff! I made up my mind to sell off some 27 bags in the last 3.5 years. But I was still buying clothes/shoes and accessories.

We just started a new location 5 weeks ago and I made a pact to stop buying clothes till Dec 31!! I am excited to do it!

I most definitely did not regret letting go of my bags/clothes/shoes. Most of my winter are of decent quality so I am no hurry to replace them these few months. I think accessories are key to my small-ish wardrobe if I do not want to be bored. Sorry, my thoughts are everywhere as decluttering is a mindset very close to my heart!;)

When I brought my first LV I felt I need more and more and one in every colour or material .. I recall buying bags because it was "such a great deal" but didn't really think about when and how I will use it..so some just stayed in the dustbag... Then I sold almost half of my collection and really assessed my bag "needs"..do I really need 2 X Alma BB (despite how cute they are), now whilst I am still buying I feel better with each purchase as I know when and how I will use each bag, whilst some might only get used a few times a year I am OK with that as I know I didn't buy to just use for this year but hope to use for many many years to come!

I love this! I have been contemplating the same thoughts in my head for a few months now but every time I look at my clothes, shoes or bags- I can’t seem to part with too many of them. I’ll remove 2-5 items of clothing and 1 pair of shoes with no progress on bags.
I want to minimize everything at home but struggle.
Hopefully everyone’s replies will inspire me to declutter more.

Reactions: Cate14