I am a new buyer and my account was suspended for no reason.

I don’t understand this ......”I made an offer on a phone which was originally accepted while I was asleep but by the time I had woken up was no longer available.”
Someone accepted your offer But then cancelled the sale?

Was there a reason given? Did they see red flags as well?

Reactions: per979596
Basically, OP, you were suspended because for all intents and purposes you ‘don’t exist’. Understand that “I” don’t know you from Adam, as they say, so it’s not personal. Many people don’t ‘trust’ eBay, but those that DO use eBay have some measure of trust in the system, and when it matters, eBay upholds that trust. At this point, from what you’ve provided to us, there is absolutely no reason to have a business relationship with you. I wouldn’t buy anything from you on eBay or Craig’s List or wherever, because ... at this point, you don’t exist. :smile: If you were ever inclined to be off the grid, student, then you’ve done that. You are off the grid; this is the price you pay for that anonymity. Hope that helps you.

I don’t understand this ......”I made an offer on a phone which was originally accepted while I was asleep but by the time I had woken up was no longer available.”
Someone accepted your offer But then cancelled the sale?

Was there a reason given? Did they see red flags as well?
Good question. I reviewed my messages again and I was slightly mistaken about the first time. What happened the first time was that the seller and I had been engaging in a series of counter bids. The seller offered a counteroffer of 185 while I was asleep. That is the offer I attempted to accept but the listing wasn't available anymore. I pretty sure that is because the message said there was a competing offer so the competing offer probably won. So no reason was given and I have no reason to believe that the seller they saw red flags outside that I was a new member.
I got suspended after the 2nd seller accepted my offer.

Basically, OP, you were suspended because for all intents and purposes you ‘don’t exist’. Understand that “I” don’t know you from Adam, as they say, so it’s not personal. Many people don’t ‘trust’ eBay, but those that DO use eBay have some measure of trust in the system, and when it matters, eBay upholds that trust. At this point, from what you’ve provided to us, there is absolutely no reason to have a business relationship with you. I wouldn’t buy anything from you on eBay or Craig’s List or wherever, because ... at this point, you don’t exist. :smile: If you were ever inclined to be off the grid, student, then you’ve done that. You are off the grid; this is the price you pay for that anonymity. Hope that helps you.
I have to disagree with you. I was not and am not trying to be off the grid in terms of anonymity. I provided eBay with my real name, my real address, and the phone number that I used most often. I had and have nothing to hide. I was suspended for a bogus reason and I will contact eBay again perhaps in a month and try to get my account reinstated as 1. I did nothing wrong, 2. I did not hide anything, and 3. I don't plan on making another account because that is against eBay's rules.

Update:
I contacted eBay again through one of their agents. Again, they did the "normal" looking at my account and saying that their polices prevented them from telling me why I was suspended which is SO frustrating because I broke no rules and was not even trying to bend any rules. I haven't given up hope yet, but I am starting to lose hope with eBay. I don't want to make a new account using differerent info because well, eBay is clear about their policies in that regard. What's not clear is how I got suspended.

Update:
I contacted eBay again through one of their agents. Again, they did the "normal" looking at my account and saying that their polices prevented them from telling me why I was suspended which is SO frustrating because I broke no rules and was not even trying to bend any rules. I haven't given up hope yet, but I am starting to lose hope with eBay. I don't want to make a new account using differerent info because well, eBay is clear about their policies in that regard. What's not clear is how I got suspended.

This is a wild guess, but a friend of mine had the bad luck to have the same name as somebody who was kicked off eBay for scamming, he found out through googling his own name because they mentioned that he was previously suspended (he wasn't), the other person lived in a different part of the country, but apparently had used fake addresses and didn't send the goods he claimed to send, it triggered something. My friend could show that he is not the same person and they removed the suspension, but that was a few years ago. It was totally bizarre because it was an unusual surname.

You might not have done anything wrong, you might just have triggered something and a weird algorism kicked in and raised red flags.

Update:

Have you tried getting them to call you? Because the chat agents often do not seem to be very clued up, talking to a real life person can work better

Update:

Did ebay ever end up restoring your account?

Did ebay ever end up restoring your account?
MY ACCOUNT JUST GOT REINSTATED TODAY!!! I contacted customer support again today and a dear soul had my account reinstated. She said it was a verification problem. Thank you to everyone who offered their advice and also to those who were skeptical from the start. My war with eBay is over. I have a LOT I could say in general about eBay's customer support, but everything I needed to say has already been said. It has been quite I journey never wanted to embark on, but I am glad it is over and that in the end everything worked out. It took 8 months and 1 day. :eek:

This is a wild guess, but a friend of mine had the bad luck to have the same name as somebody who was kicked off eBay for scamming, he found out through googling his own name because they mentioned that he was previously suspended (he wasn't), the other person lived in a different part of the country, but apparently had used fake addresses and didn't send the goods he claimed to send, it triggered something. My friend could show that he is not the same person and they removed the suspension, but that was a few years ago. It was totally bizarre because it was an unusual surname.

You might not have done anything wrong, you might just have triggered something and a weird algorism kicked in and raised red flags.
Perhaps. I have a very unique name so I doubt that was the issue.

Have you tried getting them to call you? Because the chat agents often do not seem to be very clued up, talking to a real life person can work better
I wanted to do this all along, but because of COVID I couldn't find a number. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: alyssamay_xx
Everyone deserves an explanation as to why they have been suspended permanently or otherwise. It is a joke that they even bother to send those cryptic emails as an attempt to respond. I don't think they should have to go into deep detail (?security reasons) or continue to go back and forth with a person after an initial explanation is given, but that is ridiculous that this person has to speculate and isn't given the courtesy of an explanation. Just my 2 cents...

OP, I’m glad you were able to get your account back. Last year someone managed to hack into my husbands account multiple times and change out the contact info. Ebay CS is infuriating as they read a script and have call centers abroad. In any case, turning on two factor authentication prevented further unauthorized activity but for a while it was like playing a game of whack-a-mole with international hackers. It’s ridiculous that ebay will let hackers gain access to others’ accounts immediately but legitimate inquiries into ones account take longer, which is why I’m not providing my SSN to continue selling on eBay.