How to prevent leaky pens inside bags?

I would suggest putting your pens in a case inside your bag. This way if it does leak it will be only in that.
A few months ago I had a pen leak inside my purse. It got all over my cosmetic case which fortunately was washable and came out fine. I don't recall ever having this problem before but I started thinking I just purchased a nice wallet which is light colored leather and wouldn't want ink on it. Right now the pen I'm carrying is a ballpoint retractable tip. It's not the cheapest kind but not an expensive one either. I wouldn't want to use one with just a cap on the end. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to buy a better pen? I really want my pen to be conveniently available. Don't really want to put inside zipper compartment.

I don't keep gel or liquid ink type pens in my purse. The barrels are made out of plastic and can leak. I'd pass on the "clicker" type of pens that have the retractable tip since things can get jostled in your purse and then the pen can get retracted "out" to mark your bag or other items.

The "answer" for me has been to use ball-point (the old-fashioned ink kind) pens that either have a screw on cap or a pen where you have to twist the top of the pen to get the tip of the pen out.

Borders Bookstores have some cute styles in colorful designs that have the twisting top for under $10. Since the pen is "colorful", I always find it easily in my purse and since it's so cute, I'm good about not leaving it behind and being pen-less!
I think I'll check these out. Some of the other suggestions are good too but I'm not sure I'm ready for a Pursket and as far as putting pen into a separate container, I need it to be with my check register as I use my debit card a lot and want to keep track of my purchases.
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think what someone said about the plastic pens leaking was what happened to me. The one I'm currently useing is metal so hopefully it will not do that but it was a freebee and won't last forever.

I haven't carried a 'loose' pen in years - I use a leather "pen parapet" by Levenger, available here. They have other styles as well. I highly recommend them. I've been using a red leather case for over a year and it's just perfect for me.

Cool! I love Levenger, I'll have to remember to get one of those the next time I order.

everything in my purse is in a purse-to-go, so no problem there

i would say thats the way to go, or keep pens in your wallet which i do since i have a checkbook wallet. my mom keeps any makeup/pens/etc in her purse inside a quart size ziploc just in case

I used to use a small Longchamp pencil case and stored a pen, lipstick and glasses cloth in there. At the moment I have a classic twist ballpoint by Mont Blanc and it goes in the mobile pocket inside my handbag, together with my mobile. If my bag doesn't have a mobile pocket, the pen goes in my LV makeup pouch.

A better quality pen will always lessen the chances of a leak - stay away from those plastic gel things - that crap gets everywhere!

I carry a Fisher Space Pen. They're the ones that can write upside down, and in water, etc. They are guaranteed to not leak, ever. You can buy the case in different sizes and styles, and then just buy cartridges to refill with. It's certainly more expensive than your average Bic (25 or so for the pen, 5 for one refill) but when you are carrying a 500 dollar purse, I think the investment is worth it.

I had a leak in my Chloe Paddy! Thankfully my pen was in a plastic makeup bag, crisis averted. I dread to think what would have happened if it hadn't been, I wouldn't use a leather pencil case as I don't think that would have stopped the ink. It was from a Parker pen ball point, so not a cheap pen either! Be warned ladies!

I got mine from Accessorize, it was only like £5, £5 well spent if u ask me!