How to get rid of mice

Actually, I have seen mice and rats... did you read my post? I said we used to put those traps in the fraternity houses. I was the one that carried them out to the fields.

Wow, you're a very angry person. That cute little "toodles" and sarcastic "have a nice day" in the end only made your post yet more sad. You won't incite anger from me, only pity.

I'll just say this: whatever ills come to you in your life, you will deserve them because it will clearly be your attitude that brought them on. You obviously take joy out of seeing living things suffer. I am waiting for the day when a beautiful woman with an Exeter and Yale education and Brahmin accent pauses in the street or at a dinner party to look you up and down and makes you writhe with self-consciousness. To make you feel as small and insigificant as you make mice out to be, and to make you squirm.

You are a very small person and I feel quite terrible for you.
I agree with everything you said. And I don't believe you're taking it personally. Well said!

"As for me, if they suckers come in MY place the little critters will be poisoned and have their little writhing, squirming bodies SNAPPED apart....INHUMANE or NOT!"

Wow, that is very disturbing.

Maybe the place where they're getting in could be repaired? It may take a little work to find it, but eventually it can be found. When our house was being remodelled, field mice could just wander in. I just got a cruelty free trap from ace hardware, caught them, and set them free. It was easy and as effective as any of the torturous or terrifying methods. If you're worried about them coming back in if they're not killed, murdering them won't do the trick since I'm sure there are others that live outside who'd find that hole and tell their mousy friends so it wouldn't end either. Totally different from pests like ants. Just eliminate their entry way, catch and release, and the problem won't come back, that way no living creatures need to be killed, painfully or not. And yes, that was a very disturbing scenario. Scary someone could easily visualize and write out such a graphic description even if the mammal is a lower life form in her eyes.

I guess I am the only one who actually doesn't mind a mouse or two? When I lived in the city, my cats would occassionally appear with a mouse in their jaws. I have no idea where they came from as I never once in the 5 years I lived in that house saw any evidence of a mouse infestation. Anyway I would always just gently take the mouse away from the cat and release it outdoors (and it probably came right back into my house, LOL). I"m sorry if I sound gross or dirty but mice don't bother me one bit.

Here is some info on diseases mice & rats carry:

RAT RELATED HEALTH HAZARDS & DISEASES

Here is information on common diseases caused by rats, as gathered from the Center For Disease Control & Prevention http://www.cdc.gov

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.
Murine Typhus: Murine typhus (caused by infection with R. typhi) occurs worldwide and is transmitted to humans by rat fleas. Flea-infested rats can be found throughout the year in humid tropical environments, but in temperate regions are most common during the warm summer months. Travelers who visit in rat-infested buildings and homes, especially in harbor or riverine environments, can be at risk for exposure to the agent of murine typhus.
Rat-bite fever (RBF): Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a systemic bacterial illness caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis that can be acquired through the bite or scratch of a rodent or the ingestion of food or water contaminated with rat feces.
Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium: As its name suggests, it causes a typhoid-like disease in mice. In humans S. Typhimurium does not cause as severe disease as S. Typhi, and is not normally fatal. The disease is characterized by diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea, and generally lasts up to 7 days. Unfortunately, in immunocompromized people, that is the elderly, young, or people with depressed immune systems, Salmonella infections are often fatal if they are not treated with antibiotics.
Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans it causes a wide range of symptoms, and some infected persons may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of leptospirosis include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, and vomiting, and may include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. If the disease is not treated, the patient could develop kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, and respiratory distress. In rare cases death occurs. Eosinophilic Meningitis: Eosinophilic meningitis is an infection of the brain occurring in association with an increase in the number of eosinophils, white blood cells that are associated with infection with worms that penetrate into the body. The organism most commonly causing eosinophilic meningitis is a rat lung worm called angiostrongylus cantonensis.

Ugh...I can't believe anyone would still consider using glue traps! Do you know how they work? The mouse's skin is literally trapped against the paper, and it rips its skin and sometimes limbs off in a frantic effort to escape. It's a horrible, torturous way to die, and I'm glad that you had no success with them. At the very least use snap traps, they are at least quick and relatively painless, although I would still encourage you to pursue more humane options.

I also hate when people claim that since we are the dominant species, we can basically act however we want with no moral repercussions. They use excuses like "survival of the fittest" and "natural selection" to allow torturous, unnecessary things to happen to animals -foi gras, for example. You would think that these people have never heard of morality, or common decency for that matter. Just thinking about this gets my blood boiling, as I've seen so many people be ignorant and arrogant about their "entitlement" to stomp on creatures who can't defend themselves. And just to be clear - this isn't directed at the OP, just some other comments I've been hearing lately.

Ladybug, I'm really disturbed by your posts and think that perhaps you should evaluate your mental health. Finding pleasure in the suffering of other creatures is not only repulsive, but also an indicator of a narcissistic, even sociopathic personality. I sincerely hope you don't have pets, I can only imagine how you "treat" them. :cursing:

I live in farm country, so mice are sort of inevitable around harvest time. The two best deterrents to mice I've ever found are the aforementioned cat and a terrier. I had a terrier-cross when I was growing up that was an expert mouser - we got her as a pet, of course, it was just an unforeseen benefit. She cleaned up our back shed in no time. Cats are good too, they will deter mice from showing up because they are always monitoring every nook and cranny (a cat leaves no corner unsniffed!). Other than that, we've just used humane traps in the past, but, like I said, we only have a limited seasonal problem. I'm sure sealing the house would help too. Also, clear any sort of debris you might have around your property that could host mice, especially leaf piles, wood piles, sheds or bushes clogged with leaves. That way, their transition from field to your house is much harder. You do have to get rid of them somehow, though, they are a health threat. Good luck!

There was actually a large, circular hole just underneath one of the pipes leading into my basement, and we plugged that up with steel wool and some cement. Also, most of the food (except for the canned foods) were already in these large bins with tight lids, and the water in the dog bowls were already being thrown out each time too. I'm basically trying to get rid of the mice by taking away the food and water that they've come to depend on.

But there are still mice in the house... I'm not sure if it's because these are field mice or it's because they've never been around people, but they eat ANYTHING. Some of the rags and empty boxes in the garage have been chewed on, the paint cans with leftover paint on the outside was also chewed, and also the oil cans. Perhaps they've gotten desperate since there are no more food in sight? There's feces around these items too btw. Not as much as before, but still quite a bit to indicate that there are more than one.

It's been starting to snow here and I know these mice will be coming in by the dozens if it's not controlled. With a small child in the house and constant visits from other small kids, my last concern is how humane we are to the mice (sorry Intlset).

Most of the neighbors by now had given up and called in exterminators, and I'm wondering if the mice have been running to my house because I have yet to go that far. Also, these neighbors were the same ones that used humane traps and ultrasonic devices.