How safe do you feel when you carry one of your more expensive bags?

I'm sorry about your friend too! I usually only carry LV Mono, I do get nervous sometimes b/c it is so obvious, especially uptown at night, I have a lot of irrational handbag fears though ;) Actually that's why I'm getting my Gucci horsebit leather hobos, not as obvious I guess.

I've never really thought about this question. I think I have a tendency not to carry nicer bags in questionable places; or, I just clutch them pretty closely to my body. I would like to think that most of the people doing the snatching really have no idea what brands or what, but then again, I could be wrong.

shu said:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend!

Unlike most other people who replied, I'm one of those bring-the-entire-wardrobe types. I'm currently studying in London, so my second trip, I brought all my bags except for the LVs. I think maybe on a vacation, one shouldn't bring more than 2 bags. But since I'm here until the end of June, I think I need mine. Haha.

I am also one of the "bring the whole wardrobe" types. Its partly due to the fact that most of my vacations run a month or more in length. I do worry about the luggage handlers, because I have also heard the horror stories, so I prefer not to use the proper dustbags as not to draw attention to the bags. Or, I usually pack the bag in the dustbag and then in another plastic bag <---pretty obsessive, i know :shame: lol.

My father always worries about me getting robbed because of the handbags I carry. I remember the first time I carried my dior tote to school, he called me to make sure I was okay LOL...I guess he worries so much because I study in D.C, which doesnt exactly have the best crime rate. But at the school I go to (GW) everyone and their mom has a designer bag, so I dont think my bags draw much attention..

i've never stopped to worry about it before. but i do bring a designer bag with me on vacations simply because most of my bags are. but i do feel like the majority of them do not necessarily scream expenisve, and i have yet to have problems.

Most of the time, I am with my girlfriends or my boyfriend. I feel pretty safe. I live in NYC, just thought I'd add that in. I guess I always have the "mess with me and I'll cut you" look on my face... hehehe

When I'm carrying a Coach bag (lots of people consider them expensive) and I'm over in St. George; which is the town that the Staten Island side of the ferry is in; and I'm walking from the bus over to the theater that I work in or I'm walking from the theater to get pizza in between recitals with my dance girls, I'm paranoid as hell because that's not such a great neighborhood. I'm even paranoid carrying my work bag, which is a fake LV denim, that matches my work clothes, because its just not a safe area to walk around in, especially at night.

Wow that sucks! I've had my LV wallet snatched out of my hands, but never a purse. I'd be sick about it, but that doesn't stop me from bringing them out anyway. Its a risk, but they wont be appreciated at home not being seen. I don't live in a high risk area or go to them very often anyway.

I usually take my epi pouchette on the cruises. And stick it inside a tote. but this brings to mind something about Fendi making the Baguette so it would fit under you arm (like french/italian bread) and couldn't get snached easily by theives.

If I have to go to a "bad" area, I put my bag over my shoulder, under my coat. or use a bag I bought from Payless. (it was cute...)

I do quite a bit of travelling and I have never encountered any problems with theft!

I hope your friend is alright and not too jaded about carrying an expensive bag?!

I usually carry around my LV and I think that with all the fakes going around people assume that it's fake!!!

I think that although the LV mono screams designer, it is quite unlikely that someone would mug you for that coz everyone just assumes that it is fake! unless you are also wearing other expensive stuff that gives away your status, such as flashy jewellery or coming out from a posh restaurant!

shopalot said:
I do quite a bit of travelling and I have never encountered any problems with theft!

I hope your friend is alright and not too jaded about carrying an expensive bag?!

I usually carry around my LV and I think that with all the fakes going around people assume that it's fake!!!

Wow! At least your friend was not physically harmed! Thank Goodness! I was in PV about a week ago. I brought my Mono Speedy 30 along with me. My husband and I were on the Malecon (downtown)...shopping.....All of a sudden my husband pulls me into a doorway of one of the shops....Being the observant man that he is.....He told me that some guys walking behind me were eyeing my speedy a little too carefully........So we just let them pass......I was a little scared after he told me.....:amazed: ( These "guys" didn't look like locals..They were white, with tattoos on their arms, 20 somethings...)