how many times shining monkey?

I just got my can last night, it took forever to get to me, but I am straying it this morning the stuff is going on my new Denim PM great. You spray it and a few seconds later it disappears. Very low stress. :smile: I have done two coats on my PM, I might do one more on the straps?

MiroirPrincess, we all know you like to remind us in every SM thread that it is not for bags. Well, that maybe true, but I like my odds with my bag protected better than not. Especially with my two year old in tow. :graucho:

I just sprayed my first bag with SM and I must warn everyone that it is VERY VERY easy to get carried away. Going into it, I already knew from a past thread not to over-do it as it left a small spot darker on one purse-formers bag when she over sprayed. She was kind enough to warn me not to over do it and to spray.. i think it was 10-12 inches away from the bag. I thought 'I'll be sure to do that" But when it came to spraying I was amazed how SM dried so fast and didnt leave any residue at all so I got a bit carried away with my desire to get every last speck at least 3 times. I even wanted to get the sides of the tab (where its red) to protect it from water as the edges on one tab was very slightly frayed. In order to do that I ended up spraying in short bursts about 3 inches away all around the tab. Well, I guess I sprayed too much because to my horror, everything dried except one small spot on one tab remained noticably darker. It did not lighten up to the original color after drying. I panicked and came back every 20 minutes to check on the bag hoping it wouldve dried completely and gone away. After 6 hours, the spot was still there and just as noticable!! BUT luckily, the next morning the spot was gone, I guess it just took much much longer to dry completely. I was lucky but if I had just sprayed a tad more, it mightve been permanant and I jsut wanted to let everyone know as I was really close to ruining a precious bag and dealing with that kind of stress could easily have been avoided.

Also this is a bit weird and it all occured before I even sprayed SM but the day I got my bag I had washed and dried my hands that night and like a maniac I just HAD to check my bag and touch it before bed time but I guess my dry hands werent dry enough.I dropped a single droplet of water on the bag and to this day there still is a water stain from that droplet. Then 2 months later I dripped a good amount of water on it from my water bottle, I'd say about 5 drops of water but nothing happened. No water stains. Weird, I don't know how that works so if anyone has any ideas, let me kn ow. =)

I droped some water on my new damier geant bag recently too, but one thing I discovered is that if it a small amount of water (not more than a drop or so really) you quickly rub it (I mean rub it hard) with your thumb and fast, yes i could feel some heat but it didnt burn my thumb and my stain came right out, luckily I had no oil or dirt on my hands as I am a clean freak and wash them fequently, anyways so if anyone ever does drop a small water that's the trick. But remeber to quicky wash your hands and do it (dont take too long the wash your hands, cuz after a min or so the water does stain) . Im sure some of you already knew this tho.

So let me get this straight, u spray lightly 10-12 inches away from the bag 2 times or three times?

And each time should the leather be covered in ot or should there be A ton of little spots before it dries?

i used it on my MC and cerieses speedies and my new manhattan pm last weekend. the right next day i used the manhattan and my hubby asked me what happened to my right arm:wtf: ,,,,,, it toally broke out, i said EWWW and scratched my arm only to made it worse....:throwup:

so i switched my arm the next day and carried it on my left.....same thing, broke out so bad it wasn't even funny, it's red and bumpy!! :yucky: yuck!!! i've been carrying it on my shoulder since....

i haven't tried my speedies AFTER the shining monkey.....i'll keep you updated.... did this happen to anybody else?!!:upsidedown:

Also this is a bit weird and it all occured before I even sprayed SM but the day I got my bag I had washed and dried my hands that night and like a maniac I just HAD to check my bag and touch it before bed time but I guess my dry hands werent dry enough.I dropped a single droplet of water on the bag and to this day there still is a water stain from that droplet. Then 2 months later I dripped a good amount of water on it from my water bottle, I'd say about 5 drops of water but nothing happened. No water stains. Weird, I don't know how that works so if anyone has any ideas, let me kn ow. =)
I don't know, my only thought that maybe the leather is a little less susceptible after it has some patina? I have a (non LV) bag with some vachetta and it got some water stains on it early on (before I knew much about vachetta,) but now that it is darker honey color you don't see the stains much and it is not very susceptible to new stains.

I was really careful not to over do it with the SM too. ;)

sophia618 said:
i used it on my MC and cerieses speedies and my new manhattan pm last weekend. the right next day i used the manhattan and my hubby asked me what happened to my right arm:wtf: ,,,,,, it toally broke out, i said EWWW and scratched my arm only to made it worse....:throwup:

so i switched my arm the next day and carried it on my left.....same thing, broke out so bad it wasn't even funny, it's red and bumpy!! :yucky: yuck!!! i've been carrying it on my shoulder since....

i haven't tried my speedies AFTER the shining monkey.....i'll keep you updated.... did this happen to anybody else?!!:upsidedown:

Oh no! :wtf: I would be totally freaked out. How much did you put on and how soon after did you use the bag? Maybe take a baby wipe to one set of handles and see if that helps any?

melikemochi said:
past thread not to over-do it as it left a small spot darker on one purse-formers bag when she over sprayed. =)

I dont think she used shining monkey i think it was apple guard.
I found the s/m to dry right away.
I've used apple guard and you have to be VERY careful with it and spray it VERY lightly. It also tends to darken the leather a little.

sophia618 said:

Like anything you had a reaction to something in the spray. This could have happend even using apple guard. I hope over time and the product drying more you're able to use your bags without this issue.

Bag Fetish said:
I dont think she used shining monkey i think it was apple guard.
I found the s/m to dry right away.
I've used apple guard and you have to be VERY careful with it and spray it VERY lightly. It also tends to darken the leather a little.

No, it was shinning moneky. 100% Positive!

rishin said:
So let me get this straight, u spray lightly 10-12 inches away from the bag 2 times or three times?

And each time should the leather be covered in ot or should there be A ton of little spots before it dries?

Yes. the leather looked covered. But for what cause the temporary stain was when I sprayed 3" away in bursts to the sides of the tab.

Question regarding for used bags that are already have patina:

I used magic eraser to clean the handles, which are now severely dry! Do I go ahead and spray the SM, or do I need to use something else first, then spray SM?

I'm not sure if the SM conditions it as well to get rid of the dryness...