How has Coronavirus impacted your life and your lifestyle?

Hi!
To help keep from veering off topic or towards politics, here’s a reminder of the topic of the thread:

“Being this is a fashion driven forum, I am curious as to how this has impacted your lifestyle. Are you still buying purses, shoes or any high-end luxury items? How have you prepared and how do you plan to pass the next year of your life?”

There's other threads to discuss variants, deaths, etc... and as always we don't allow politics on tPF :cutesy:

Last edited:
Part of the issue is people from more affluent areas going to less affluent areas to get their vaccine sooner, which takes doses away from the communities they were intended for and kind of upsets me.
Yes, that is upsetting. In the news there was a report that California made special access codes for underserved populations so that they could get vaccination appointments, but somehow people in wealthier areas got these codes and were spreading them to their friends and family on social media etc and taking all the appointments. Another thing I’ve read is that people are waiting all day at pharmacies and vaccination sites to see if they can get leftover doses at the end of the day even though they are not eligible. This is not bad, but when you think about it, most of the people who have the time and ability to wait around all day like that are probably people who don’t have to worry about work or other obligations.
As far as I know, that didn't happen in my county. We are in a less affluent area of California. We had to sign up online. There was also a phone number that helped people register. The phone line quickly clogged up so much with calls that they announced that people should only register online. When we showed up for our appointments, they checked our IDs against the registration list, so they weren't letting anyone in who wasn't actually registered, and you couldn't register without having an address in the county.

People were showing up to known vaccination sites without appointments but I believe they were turned away.

I'm concerned that people who didn't have cars wouldn't be able to get vaccinated as it was a drive-through site, but maybe not all vaccination sites were set up that way. Also, DH worried that people who didn't know how to register online would be left out. He has a friend in his 80s who doesn't have a clue. If his family isn't willing to help him sign up, I think it will be a long time before he and others like him get their vaccinations.

I'm sure each county handled in differently. My daughter lives in another California county and hasn't found anywhere she can register.

Reactions: muddledmint
Yes, that is upsetting. In the news there was a report that California made special access codes for underserved populations so that they could get vaccination appointments, but somehow people in wealthier areas got these codes and were spreading them to their friends and family on social media etc and taking all the appointments. Another thing I’ve read is that people are waiting all day at pharmacies and vaccination sites to see if they can get leftover doses at the end of the day even though they are not eligible. This is not bad, but when you think about it, most of the people who have the time and ability to wait around all day like that are probably people who don’t have to worry about work or other obligations.

That's exactly what happened in my area as well. Luckily, the health department realized that on the first or second day of the clinic and managed to prevent that from happening at least to some degree. I hadn't read about people waiting for leftover doses, but I'd rather it go in anyone's arm than be wasted.

Reactions: Mariapia
My parents received their 2nd Moderna 2 days ago and they are fine so far. So relieved!!!!
When one of my DDs received her 2nd Moderna, she was very very sick. She had extreme fatigue, severe chills, fever, and body ache!
So needless to say, I am so relieved for my parents.
I feel you! Mom got her 2nd dose yesterday. A definite feeling of relief.

That's exactly what happened in my area as well. Luckily, the health department realized that on the first or second day of the clinic and managed to prevent that from happening at least to some degree. I hadn't read about people waiting for leftover doses, but I'd rather it go in anyone's arm than be wasted.
I agree, the doses that will expire shouldn’t be thrown out if there is a willing arm for them, BUT this is just another way (among many) that privileged people can cut the line because they have more resources. There should be more effort and outreach to get these doses to people who need them more urgently.

Thank you for the support. Sometimes spending so much time by myself, due to the pandemic, makes me lonely. I am so thankful to all here for information, laughter, and camaraderie. I mean laughter in a positive sense, we're in this together kind of thing. :heart: :tup:

Come and post anytime you feel lonely I’m in the UK so if you can’t sleep and need a chat I’m here take care xx

I agree it’s so sad vaccine is being wasted in Europe as people refuse it - if it is being provided free if you refuse one you should go to the back of the queue

I just returned from getting my first dose! I had registered with my state back in January. We were told of different mega-vaccination sites and were told we could schedule individually with them. One of them is through the health care system of my pcp, so I did register and the earliest appt I was offered was in July. I did take the appt. I kept checking for availability at another megasite within 15 minutes of me, but no appt have been made available, I would assume, based on my availability. A few people close to me have been offered appts, so I was hopeful I may not have to wait until July.
I am on my laptop around 6:30 pm yesterday and I see an email notification at the bottom of the screen, "Now is the time to make an appointment" !!! A couple clicks later and I had an appt for 9 am today!!!
It was literally a herd of people, lol. But I will say this, it was the most organized cattle call I have ever experienced. It was at a local community college one county over (I had taught there as an adjunct) and it was a lot of walking, with multiple check points to confirm indeed I was who I said I was and that I absolutely had an appt. I was done in under an hour. I did overhear another woman, who I guess was having her 2nd dose, said she waited for hours before.
After my injection, of course, I had to wait. When my time was called to leave, I thanked the man who was calling the release time (either local police or the campus security) as I was getting snap of the QR to leave feedback (when the state of NJ actually does something right, I feel obligated to point it out) and said I was rather amazed. He responded, "We've worked out some kinks" and laughed. The policeman at the entry point said they were giving out 4,000 doses that morning.
After my injection, I asked the nurse and her assistant, "Would anyone be surprised if I stood up and did a little happy dance?" They both chuckled and said, they get a lot people who start crying tears of relief!
Sorry for a bit of a ramble. We all know what a long year it's been. It is a bit surreal. In 24 hours I have gone from wondering if I can possibly get the vax before the July appt to actually getting it with a follow up in 3 weeks (Pfizer)!
Best wishes to all you still patiently waiting, a big ((hug)). My biggest concern in all of this has been what if I need to travel to FL on an emergency basis for my mother? Now I feel a bit more comfortable with taking a flight, if I had to.

I just returned from getting my first dose! I had registered with my state back in January. We were told of different mega-vaccination sites and were told we could schedule individually with them. One of them is through the health care system of my pcp, so I did register and the earliest appt I was offered was in July. I did take the appt. I kept checking for availability at another megasite within 15 minutes of me, but no appt have been made available, I would assume, based on my availability. A few people close to me have been offered appts, so I was hopeful I may not have to wait until July.
I am on my laptop around 6:30 pm yesterday and I see an email notification at the bottom of the screen, "Now is the time to make an appointment" !!! A couple clicks later and I had an appt for 9 am today!!!
It was literally a herd of people, lol. But I will say this, it was the most organized cattle call I have ever experienced. It was at a local community college one county over (I had taught there as an adjunct) and it was a lot of walking, with multiple check points to confirm indeed I was who I said I was and that I absolutely had an appt. I was done in under an hour. I did overhear another woman, who I guess was having her 2nd dose, said she waited for hours before.
After my injection, of course, I had to wait. When my time was called to leave, I thanked the man who was calling the release time (either local police or the campus security) as I was getting snap of the QR to leave feedback (when the state of NJ actually does something right, I feel obligated to point it out) and said I was rather amazed. He responded, "We've worked out some kinks" and laughed. The policeman at the entry point said they were giving out 4,000 doses that morning.
After my injection, I asked the nurse and her assistant, "Would anyone be surprised if I stood up and did a little happy dance?" They both chuckled and said, they get a lot people who start crying tears of relief!
Sorry for a bit of a ramble. We all know what a long year it's been. It is a bit surreal. In 24 hours I have gone from wondering if I can possibly get the vax before the July appt to actually getting it with a follow up in 3 weeks (Pfizer)!
Best wishes to all you still patiently waiting, a big ((hug)). My biggest concern in all of this has been what if I need to travel to FL on an emergency basis for my mother? Now I feel a bit more comfortable with taking a flight, if I had to.

Bless you don’t apologise I’m as excited for you as you are !!! It’s wonderful news you are one more step closer to being with your mom xx

I am feeling emotional today haha so I just got a little teary eyed out of happiness for you.

I agree it’s so sad vaccine is being wasted in Europe as people refuse it - if it is being provided free if you refuse one you should go to the back of the queue
I heard that 30% of law enforcement in our area has refused the vaccine.

Today is the first day we are venturing out of the house! It's been 2 weeks since our last shot. We are going to a restaurant, probably for take out; I don't think anywhere around here has inside service.

ETA: the place we went to had a patio so we were able to eat there. The silverware was plastic but the plates were real. There were two other occupied tables out of about 6 total.

Last edited:
I heard that 30% of law enforcement in our area has refused the vaccine.

Today is the first day we are venturing out of the house! It's been 2 weeks since our last shot. We are going to a restaurant, probably for take out; I don't think anywhere around here has inside service.

ETA: the place we went to had a patio so we were able to eat there. The silverware was plastic but the plates were real. There were two other occupied tables out of about 6 total.

While our police officers are at the back of the queue but have to deal with people spitting on them every day

I feel like my life has shrunk to a minimum. (home -> go to the office. That´s it) I am Lucky because I live in a village in the countryside, so we can go outside and enjoy the nature. But originally my move here was a strategic decision, on the condition I would live near the office, but travel every weekend. Because this is the summum of boredom, being single and childfree this is not life. Everything is closed here (shops, restaurants, beauty salons, gyms...) or let´s say only the medical and food markets are open. But being more calm mentally this time around, I can focus on learning things, and tackling all projects I had avoided bc too much fun distraction in my life. My friends have moved on, getting new jobs, moving to the city, getting a partner...and I just feel stuck. First, Im not so good at working online only, I really miss the energy of real life creative interactions.