How do you wear your crossbody?

vixnkitten

Bag problem? Who me?
O.G.
Jun 18, 2007
Hey there,
I just wanted to hear others' thoughts on what length is the "perfect" length for a crossbody. I have bought and returned several bags because the crossbody strap was not long enough for me.

I am about 5'8 and a size 10. I prefer to wear my bags long so that my hand sits comfortably on the top of the bag in a relaxed state. I can't stand when a bag is too short for me and have to wear it on my shoulder without crossing it over because I NEVER wear bags like this unless they are totes. When I have the bag worn toward the back, I like it to be right at my rear, not on my hip. Does that make sense?

Would love to hear your input!

Here are some really rough pictures. I had my nine-year old take these to give an idea of how I wear my bags. The first picture is the Monroe clutch from Arayla and the side picture is the Belen Echandia Enchant Me. The BE bag carries really low due to the shape of the bag and this is how I prefer to wear bags.
monroe crossbody.jpg enchant me crossbody.jpg

Reactions: MahaM and msd_bags
The “perfect length” for me depends somewhat on the bag itself. I won’t buy a bag if the strap is too short to be worn cross-body — I don’t want it hanging up by my waist! OTOH, I cannot stand it if a bag is too low. I don’t want it bumping my legs when I walk. Ideally, I want to be able to reach down and put my fingertips around the bottom of the bag. But it also depends on the size and shape of the bag. Here are two examples of two very different bags: Hermes Evelyne PM and LV Speedy B25 in Empreinte.

02A1C612-6E49-4481-BCA2-ACFD1CD2FA28.jpeg 2AA7E6A0-2184-4995-B2BF-BCE4F146D092.jpeg

The “perfect length” for me depends somewhat on the bag itself. I won’t buy a bag if the strap is too short to be worn cross-body — I don’t want it hanging up by my waist! OTOH, I cannot stand it if a bag is too low. I don’t want it bumping my legs when I walk. Ideally, I want to be able to reach down and put my fingertips around the bottom of the bag. But it also depends on the size and shape of the bag. Here are two examples of two very different bags: Hermes Evelyne PM and LV Speedy B25 in Empreinte.

View attachment 3943734 View attachment 3943735
catsinthebag, beautiful bags - I love the colour of your Evelyne, great scarf colour, too. The leather on your Empreinte Speedy looks fabulous. Great pics - both bags look gorgeous on you. :love:

Reactions: catsinthebag
catsinthebag, beautiful bags - I love the colour of your Evelyne, great scarf colour, too. The leather on your Empreinte Speedy looks fabulous. Great pics - both bags look gorgeous on you. :love:

Aw, thanks More bags! :blush: The Evie is Blue Sapphire — looks almost royal blue in bright light but navy in darker light/shadows. And I wasn’t a huge fan of Empreinte leather until I got this Speedy — it’s so durable but still soft enough to be comfortable!

I am about 5'8 and a size 10. I prefer to wear my bags long so that my hand sits comfortably on the top of the bag in a relaxed state. I can't stand when a bag is too short for me and have to wear it on my shoulder without crossing it over because I NEVER wear bags like this unless they are totes. When I have the bag worn toward the back, I like it to be right at my rear, not on my hip. Does that make sense?

That's how I like wearing my crossbody bags too. And we're of the same height!

I'm 182,5 cm tall and curvaceous so I can feel the problem with the straps being too short! I like for a bag to come down to my hip or even a little below, but I've had to compromise because f.e. Mulberry Alexa has a strap that comes up a little higher than my hip when worn with a coat, but I still love the bag so I'll just look stupid carrying it. :biggrin:
It's easier in the summertime when you wear thinner clothing and the bags get to sit closer to the body and there isn't a coat and a sweater hoisting it up.

Reactions: remainsilly
Doesn't matter the size of the cross body but the bottom of it should not pass the tips of my fingers. I like to be able to reach to the bottom of the bag without having to lean into it or lift it up to get something at the bottom.

Hey there,
I just wanted to hear others' thoughts on what length is the "perfect" length for a crossbody. I have bought and returned several bags because the crossbody strap was not long enough for me.

In general, I prefer what you have described, but I am finding it can depend upon the shape of the bag - sometimes I am okay with shorter lengths so that it sits higher - that's rare though.

I wear crossbody patagonia atom sling for cycling.
Sits close & higher on back. For safety & comfort.
sling bag crossbody.jpg
Fashion handbags--usually hang at side, lower than or at hip.
Mulberry bayswater clutch wallet:
https://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/mulberry-randolph-jungle-jpg.3803501/
Chanel 2.55 reissue, 227:
https://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/2-55-reissue-mod-shot-3-jpg.3215053/

If included strap causes bag to hang too high as crossbody, substitute valentino guitar strap.
Hermes bolide 31:
https://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/dog-bolide-animali-fantastici_resized-jpg.3776345/

I'm 5'2 and a size 4, and find that crossbody straps are sometimes longer than I'd prefer.

If I crouch down (and I do this a lot, with a 2 year old) and the bag manages to hook under my butt or touch the ground, that's almost an immediate expulsion from my bag collection. I like the bag to hit my hip exactly.

View attachment 3943734 View attachment 3943735
Your bags are STUNNING! I totally agree with you. A bag can’t be too high or too low. It has to be just right. My problem is, I’m on the taller side of average so most of the time, the straps are made too short. I feel like bag designers cater more to the ladies who are 5’2 to 5’6. Being 2 inches taller than that makes a difference in the way a bag sits on me.

That's how I like wearing my crossbody bags too. And we're of the same height!
What is your favorite crossbody bag??? I have been carrying my Arayla Nightngale and LOVE ❤️ it. It’s a satchel with a crossbody strap. I never thought I would like that combo but I had been looking for their perfect satchel for a LONG time before I found this one. I wore it all day yesterday at an amusement park, taking it off and on for rides, stuffing it full and it performed like a champ. The strap is a tiny bit shorter than an ideal length but it didn’t seem to bother me, it wore really comfortably.