How do you reason spending $1600 on a handbag?

I agree with each and everyone of you. I feel that if I can afford it and if I've saved enough to aquire it, then why shouldn't I? And, it definitely wouldn't put me in a financial strain. It's hard though b/c none of my friends or my family would ever spend that kind of money on a bag. My father, as conservative as conservative gets, would kill me if he knew. My mom considers $100 too much. My boyfriend already told me I need help. So, if people within my circle were more supportive I think it'd be a lot easier.

I agree with each and everyone of you. I feel that if I can afford it and if I've saved enough to aquire it, then why shouldn't I? And, it definitely wouldn't put me in a financial strain. It's hard though b/c none of my friends or my family would ever spend that kind of money on a bag. My father, as conservative as conservative gets, would kill me if he knew. My mom considers $100 too much. My boyfriend already told me I need help. So, if people within my circle were more supportive I think it'd be a lot easier.

I think a lot of us are in situations where our family and friends don't really get our want for designer items (purses imparticularly). But we here on the forum do understand. You can go as crazy as you want here. When you're with your family, you don't have to explain how much something cost and how in love you are with a purse. The bag is to make you happy and no one else. I'm sure they have things that others would think are a little extravagant as well.

If you can afford it and you love it and it will give you much satisfaction, go for it. Different people have different desires when it comes to discretionary spending. My husband has a friend who thinks nothing of spending $900 on a fishing reel! By comparison, my LV looks like a great deal IMO!

I wasn't able to buy myself nice things till the last several years. For all the years I did without so dh could go to school, our sons went to private colleges without financial aid, etc. I deserve every bag I buy and more. Have you ever noticed men rarely deny themselves something they really want? Women are socialized to put themselves last. Treat yourself if you can afford it.

^^^I especially like what elongreach wrote: "the bag is to make you happy and no one else"--YES!

LOL I can't yet! I may have just broken my hundred dollar barrier, but nothing more then that. (so that owuld mean I would own like 3 bags at this point, and had to sell some of my accessories to chip in for the bag so I don't feel guilty!

If you think it will make you happy, won't put you in debt and is a part of your 'fun money' it's fine. By 'fun money' I define the money you have left over after mortgage payments, rents, bills, car payments, groceries, IRA, investments, retirement plans, etc.
(If I ever spent $1600 on a bag I'd certainly never tell my family. I come from a third world country and my mom would tell me to add an extra room to my house or put in a new kitchen!)

Have you ever noticed men rarely deny themselves something they really want? Women are socialized to put themselves last.

That's just so true! My ex once gave me a bit of grief for a pricey purchase at which point I just tapped the top of his brand-spanking-new big-ass LCD tv. He never mentioned it again.

Why do so many women feel they have to justify expensive purchases to other people? I know I did it for years! If you're not putting yourself into debt and you're meeting all your other financial obligations INCLUDING savings, then what's the fuss? It's like they'd feel better if I bought a heap of cheap stuff instead! :rolleyes:

...if people within my circle were more supportive I think it'd be a lot easier.

Okay, I'll be supportive. Here's how you "reason" spending $1600 on a bag:

1. By comparing it to something else that costs the same, but that you already have and don't want (say, a new fridge, laptop or treadmill). If you have enough money to buy any of those things, just cross off of your list the ones you already have or don't need.

2. By comparing it to something else that costs the same, is just as beautiful, but everyone agrees is worth it despite the fact that it is useless (a diamond necklace or a painting).

The fact is, if you bought a fabulous piece of jewelry for $1600. nobody would question whether it was "worth it". And if you bought an original painting from a talented up-and-coming artist, for only $1600., people might even comment on what a great deal you got. However, neither the jewelry nor the painting are really useful, the way a bag is.

I hope that helped!:noworry:

Okay, I'll be supportive. Here's how you "reason" spending $1600 on a bag:

1. By comparing it to something else that costs the same, but that you already have and don't want (say, a new fridge, laptop or treadmill). If you have enough money to buy any of those things, just cross off of your list the ones you already have or don't need.

2. By comparing it to something else that costs the same, is just as beautiful, but everyone agrees is worth it despite the fact that it is useless (a diamond necklace or a painting).

I hope that helped!:noworry:

3. Consider the economy! In these times, aren't you doing all the people involved in getting your handbag to you a service by keeping them employed? Everyone from the farmer of the leather, the people who make the bags to the sales people in the store. Think of all the countries of who's GDP you're contributing to!

(and yes, this is actually an argument I'd probably use...)

I'm an adult and don't have to justify anything to anybody. I owned quite a few Guccis before I married my husband, so my love of Guccis is nothing new to him. As far as your boyfriend, that's all he is right now, your boyfriend. Unless you're taking money out of his personal bank account for this bag, he has no say in the matter. You are not a child, and he is not your father who you have to obey. You don't want to start down the path of having to justify a purchase to your boyfriend. What type of purchases will you have to justify if and when he becomes your husband?

I buy my bags when I fall in love with them. I don't just buy a bag because it has been marked down or is on sale. Maybe it's just me, but unfortunately I've never found a Gucci that I like on sale. Maybe it's because I like larger bags, or maybe its because the types of bags that I like tend to not get marked down. I'd rather buy one bag for $1700 that I love than 4 for a quarter of the price that I might wear once.

Well, he's my boyfriend of 6 1/2 years (we've dated since we were 17). So, we're really close and tell each other basically everything. However, I now know that I should have kept Jimmy Choo to myself...haha!