How do you decide?

Great question. Usually I chose based mostly on the style and leather, but I just had the option of buying a bag in the color I wanted, but not in one of my preferred leathers, and I took it because I knew it was not going to offered in the US again in that color for awhile in the leathers I prefer. That being said, I am pleased.

1.Style
2.Leather
3.Color constraints

One of the best things about H bags is how important the leather is and how many choices there are. With any other brand like Chanel or LV, it's hardly a consideration, all the decisions have been made for you.

Leather wasn't even on my radar before I experienced living with bags of different leathers, and becoming educated by PF, but now it's as critical as style, size and color. I've turned down clemence, VL and togo, where in the past I would have taken any of them; now I know that for a birkin I like a stiffer, durable leather with some suppleness. I love how the leathers add that degree of complexity to the bag, not only in how they mature over time, but how they interact with color, size and style.

I haven't "gotten" barenia yet, as far as appreciating how wonderful it is. But so many of you love it, I can safely assume I'll get there someday.

Great question. Usually I chose based mostly on the style and leather, but I just had the option of buying a bag in the color I wanted, but not in one of my preferred leathers, and I took it because I knew it was not going to offered in the US again in that color for awhile in the leathers I prefer. That being said, I am pleased.

1.Style
2.Leather
3.Color constraints

I don't think I could do that. I would never be happy with the bag. I am facing that right now in that it is impossible for me to get the leather and color all the way I want in a Bolide. I don't want to settle.

Well for me, with time and experience comes the knowledge...and after having acquired a few in certain colors that work for me (i.e. color would have been high on the list earlier); so now my priorities have changed - and I can't quite decide if style or leather would be first...I feel I could be swayed on a couple of styles if a leather of choice came in (Ostrich? Swift?)...even more than a style...because I do know which ones I prefer - and now that I've typed this I don't even know for sure it makes sense! So long story short, at this point...I do feel the leathers are what would make or break something for me (although I'm done...for a long time...in the bag department!)

1. Style first and always;
Then things depend ~ if I consider SOs it would be:
2. Leather
3. Color
4. HW

If it was what was available by reseller or store shelf, leather and color would be dead even 'cause a toile, vibrato, or dalmation would definately catch my gauze regardless the combo.

For me it's

Style
Color H/W combo...I don't buy GH on new
Leather

That being said....I have been known to call and say I want a bag in such and such color whaddya got?

However, I think that these are not mutually exclusive... Some styes look better in certain leathers ( I don't like epsom for a Evelyne)..some colors look better on certain leathers ( I think all colors look best on chevre). It really is a confluence of all that makes or breaks a bag.

1. Style (at the moment, I only use Kellys, and I don't want shoulder bags for posture reason -- I am bad at remembering to switch sides.). Must be functional and work with my real life. I love that Kelly has shoulder strap for when I need my hands free but I only use it when it is absolutely necessary. I love that it's a hand-held bag until I need it to be a shoulder bag.
2. Scale and proportion. (Don't want it too big for my frame.)
3. Color
4. Leather
5. Hardware

1. Shape/style...proportion or "fit" is of primary importance to me...
2. Color...if "fit" is good...I decide on/examine color...
3. Leather...although in small accessories...leather before color...I prefer "other" leathers to epsom...

for me it would be

1. style
2. leather

i don't really need a specific color, i am quite open to that. I was a bright color gal. However, after i am in this forum for a period of time, i am turning towards neutral more and more. :shame:

1. Shape
2. Size
3. Leather
4. Color

Except 4 and 3 are a bit intertwined, because the colors have different looks in different leathers.

Good question! It's fun to see all these answers!