How do I get my mom to........

ok, i definitely agree about the maturity level. i didn't think about that. it's not smart to give an immature child an expensive bag but judging by ranskimmie's post about her daughter, it sounds like she would take care of it since it's obvious she really wants this bag. it sounds like she's a good kid :amuse:

as for paying for grades. i don't know, it makes sense to me. well, some kids don't get it and won't work hard to get good grades unless they're motivated by something...like money?

carrying "expensive" bags now is definitely happening a lot in high school. but it makes me mad that these girls are getting coach bags, etc. and treat them like crap and they get disgusting and dirty. ugh, i don't like it if parents buy their daughter a bag and she doesn't appreciate it.

also, since her birthday is sort of far off i agree that she should save for the purse. occasionally my parents will buy me a purse but usually it's only if it's on sale or if i pay half. it makes sense to me.

p.s. i have a dog named misty, too!

I agree with some of the others, wait for xmas or earn it. If she hasn't really warmed to the idea it may take some time. Also try some other outlets, perhaps grandparents? Good luck.

I'm 18, and I would have LOVED to have a $200 bag when I was 13. Don't listen to people telling you you're too young for it.

If the mom doesn't work, I've always found the Dad does. Maybe it's just my dad, but he's always loved it when I've written down a "business proposal". Much along the same line as a list of chores for your Mom. But if you use business terms like "profit" and point out that the bag they buy you will be practical as well as fashionable, you might be more succesful.

BUT you DO NOT want to make your Mom feel like you're trying to divide and conquer. THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT. TELL THEM TOGETHER.

Draw up the proposal with some chores you've already discussed with your mother - agree on the price beforehand with her, then draw up the proposal with a table tallying all the chores and the prices for them (tables = teh good). Then tell your Mom and Dad you want to talk to them after dinner or something (give enough time for your Dad and Mom to be relaxed at the end of the day, and don't ask them when they're too busy). Then tell them both about the proposal, and have all three of you sign at the bottom. My Dad always loved it when I did this.

Point out your good grades, and your willingness to work for the bag (Dads love that too), as well as the practicality of the bag.

And if this sounds manipulative to anyone, try and think back to how you had to get things when you were a kid with no allowance or money.

Good luck ranskimmie!

Work for it. Think about if it's practical too or not. Maybe sometimes you don't really need it but you want it and you can talk to your parents and have a compromise.

This is a bit different tactic, but I KNOW I've seen the Dooney star bags at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for less than the retail as well as other Dooney styles...Having said that, I never would have asked for a $200 bag from my parents at 13 and wouldn't now (19)...I worked to save enough for a Marc Jacobs black satchel with the push-lock side pockets last summer and ended up giving it to my mom for her birthday because she's never had anything more than a Coach
but if your parents can afford it and you love it and you're mature then work it out with them! good luck!