How are your Swift Bags aging?

omg......my heart just stops when I see your pics, GINA. Love those bags.....both!

Actually, I myself passed on a black Swift birkin in favor of Clemence because I was a little afraid of shine and wear....I'm really happy with my choice but I'm still very intrigued by Swift. Does it come in an accessory that I could "try out" before making a big leap into a bag?

I did have a Gulliver bag and I know that Swift replaced it but that bag caused me some heart stopping moments when the corners rubbed very quickly after getting it....also, the bag seemed to "sag" in places. Sort of like the leather stretched out or something. This wasn't a flaw at all just something I wasn't keen on. I like my Kelly's to stand tall and straight....if they're going to slump, then I want the leather to be something like Clemence or Togo and not a smooth leather. KWIM?

omg......my heart just stops when I see your pics, GINA. Love those bags.....both!

Actually, I myself passed on a black Swift birkin in favor of Clemence because I was a little afraid of shine and wear....I'm really happy with my choice but I'm still very intrigued by Swift. Does it come in an accessory that I could "try out" before making a big leap into a bag?

I did have a Gulliver bag and I know that Swift replaced it but that bag caused me some heart stopping moments when the corners rubbed very quickly after getting it....also, the bag seemed to "sag" in places. Sort of like the leather stretched out or something. This wasn't a flaw at all just something I wasn't keen on. I like my Kelly's to stand tall and straight....if they're going to slump, then I want the leather to be something like Clemence or Togo and not a smooth leather. KWIM?

ShopMom, I know exactly what you mean. It is so hard to feel we're "getting it right" for ourselves when we cannot play with a bag before we buy.

I feel tho that golden's mom's opinion is good in that if you do want Swift in a Birkin, go for the 30. But, if, like me you want to get it right....give youself a bit of time and see how the Swift Moms feel about their bags in another year or so. Or start a thread asking those who bought bags last summer how they are wearing.

*BUMP*

Swift mommies...how are your Swift bags holding up?

I took my Swift birkin out for a spin last night and today for the first time, and it's already acquired a few minor dings! One of the corners has already worn (don't know how it happened, it's a little disturbing that it's already happened) and a very very superficial scratch on the front that you can mostly see if bright light is shining on it.

I'm feeling a little upset and relieved at the same time. Upset because my baby isn't "perfect" anymore, and relieved because now that I have the few minor dings, I can really begin to wear her.

Does Swift leather develop Patina? I certainly hope so!! Then it would make me feel a lot better about the scratches.

I saw someone put their dark brown swift Birkin down on the floor yesterday and it must have been pretty empty because it collapsed into a heap. It had a very loved, lived-in look.

I was told by someone at a very large Hermes store, who is supposed to be an expert on their leather goods, that Swift "will not scratch like box but WILL develop a patina". I took that to mean that it is not as delicate as box, but not invincible.

Only time will tell. I appreciate hearing the feedback from swift owners and hope to add my own report in several months.

BTW, in terms of performance of ANY of the leathers, I wish posters would state the color of the bag. I realy think that's important to know. For example, I have 2 togo Birkins. One is black and the other gold. Each has had an enormous amount of use. The black shows almost no rubbing on the corners. The gold shows quite a bit. I'm coming to the conclusion that the darker colors are more trouble free - and this will be a factor in deciding on my next bag.

Still, some of the light colors are so delicious that practicality flys out the window when you look at them. Decisions, decisions...

My orange swift has aged well. I use it almost daily since december and do not baby it. I shows no real wear. Any scratches have been able to be rubbed out with my finger

I hope more will chime in on this issue, I am very interested to hear...I have an irrational fear and suspicion of swift and I want these fears to be allayed...sorry, swift lovers, I just don't understand this leather...I want to though!! :smile:

Me too, Pep. My SA told me it's the "togo of smooth leathers", whatever that means.

Troc - the reason the darker colours show the wear differently is the way they dye their leathers. The darker colours take longer to soak up the depth of colour (man, this is hard to describe...) so the colour is more "saturated" into the skins - kwim? So therefore, any scratches and scrapes show up less, because the hide is darker underneath.

GAH! Sorry for the crappy explaination!

:yes:,Yes, please do assuage my irrational fears, it is such a lovely looking leather and I want to know if it can take the wear and come back for more. I couldn't agree with Pepper more. I am really eager to hear first hand experiences w/ Swift now that there are bags that have been in use for a longer period of time.

I hope more will chime in on this issue, I am very interested to hear...I have an irrational fear and suspicion of swift and I want these fears to be allayed...sorry, swift lovers, I just don't understand this leather...I want to though!! :smile:

Ummm. I actually do not own a piece in Swift, but I wanted to just put a little tidbit of info here in case anyone was interested.
I was recently looking at a specific bag in a specific store, heh, and it was made of Rose Dragee Swift. While I loved the feeling of Swift and I thought the look was very nice in that particular bag, when I inspected it very closely there was ALREADY a rather sizable (2-3") scratch on it. OMG! It was a K stamped bag so it's not like it's "stale", and it wasn't even out on the floor--it has been kept in the back, although the shrink wrap had been removed before it was shown to me, so I was probably not the first person to paw it.

But I just wanted to mention this, because not only did I decide not to take that particular bag, but I felt that it was a bad omen for me + Swift in general. I don't tear up my bags, but I also don't want to have to baby them and seeing a scratch on a brand new bag scared me off.

Reactions: peonies13
Thanks Cynthia, that's helpful. I too like how swift feels but it just seems so soft and delicate. (hence my suspicions/fears about what happens to it over time...)