Hot stamping looks off?

If LV honestly messes it up (crooked, lifting colour, unevenly spaced, etc.), and not just a customer being unreasonably anal with a magnifying glass, then they will often either replace the item or more likely send it off for repairs to remove the stamped area, whichever is most reasonable.
Thanks Miss Krys :smile: I've always wondered how they handled that.

Maybe it's worth considering having it done after all.

What do you all think of this hot stamping? I ordered the iPhone folio in Damier graphite with the light pink stamping and the alignment looks off to me...it looks like the "V" is out way further than it should be? Or is it just me? It also looks like there is a very small part on the "V" letter that is missing the pink color....

Digital devices use kerning to adjust spaces between letters, so we can feel that they have the same distances in between. Because the Vuitton letters used for hot stamping are made of copper, they have fixed sizes, and this way they'll have fixed spaces in between. As you can see on my pic, the spacing on your stamping is perfect, it is the nature of K and V next to each other that creates the optical illusion of having unreasonable extra space. The space in the "belly" of the K and the one on the left of the V makes a large hole together.
I am just saying this, because if you will have the same monogram on your future items (and you probably will), then they will look exactly like this. I recommend you to ask for vertical alignment next time, if possible. That will solve this problem.

On the other hand, the paint is not perfect, the V doesn't look neat. In their defense, the grained leather used inside these items are very hard to heat stamp, as you can see, the edges of the I and the K are also a little wavy. On softer leathers this is never a problem, but on this kind, it always is. I have 6 wallets with this grained inside, and all the monograms are a little imperfect.
When they finish a hot stamping for me, they always ask if I am satisfied with it. Right then, on the spot, so there would be no misunderstanding later. One time I told them that I was sorry but I didn't like it, so they made a new one on a fresh item.
But you are absolutely right if you are not satisfied with the missing color spot. If they are lucky, they can re-stamp it again, but an exchange would be more classy. Anyway, if you decide to get a hot stamp on the new one you'll get, consider my point on the letter spacing and maybe ask for a vertical option.

But the most important when you get it back: enjoy your folio, because it is gorgeous :smile:

Attachments

• hotstamping.jpg
    hotstamping.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: iHeartLV❤️
Digital devices use kerning to adjust spaces between letters, so we can feel that they have the same distances in between. Because the Vuitton letters used for hot stamping are made of copper, they have fixed sizes, and this way they'll have fixed spaces in between. As you can see on my pic, the spacing on your stamping is perfect, it is the nature of K and V next to each other that creates the optical illusion of having unreasonable extra space. The space in the "belly" of the K and the one on the left of the V makes a large hole together.
I am just saying this, because if you will have the same monogram on your future items (and you probably will), then they will look exactly like this. I recommend you to ask for vertical alignment next time, if possible. That will solve this problem.

On the other hand, the paint is not perfect, the V doesn't look neat. In their defense, the grained leather used inside these items are very hard to heat stamp, as you can see, the edges of the I and the K are also a little wavy. On softer leathers this is never a problem, but on this kind, it always is. I have 6 wallets with this grained inside, and all the monograms are a little imperfect.
When they finish a hot stamping for me, they always ask if I am satisfied with it. Right then, on the spot, so there would be no misunderstanding later. One time I told them that I was sorry but I didn't like it, so they made a new one on a fresh item.
But you are absolutely right if you are not satisfied with the missing color spot. If they are lucky, they can re-stamp it again, but an exchange would be more classy. Anyway, if you decide to get a hot stamp on the new one you'll get, consider my point on the letter spacing and maybe ask for a vertical option.

But the most important when you get it back: enjoy your folio, because it is gorgeous :smile:

Thank you for taking the time to do that!!!! I did get in contact with customer service and was able to send the picture. They agreed that the paint is missing and the alignment is a tad off so they will refund my money and I will just repurchase a new one...but this time I will not get the hot stamping! Lol...now I just need to decide if I will stick with the DG or maybe I'll just switch it up for DA...back to square one with my indecisions! Thank you everyone for your input!!!!

You are right! At first glance it looks off, but ur right it's not off. The print on the K and esp the V looks poor though- which like u said could be because of the type of leather.

What do you all think of this hot stamping? I ordered the iPhone folio in Damier graphite with the light pink stamping and the alignment looks off to me...it looks like the "V" is out way further than it should be? Or is it just me? It also looks like there is a very small part on the "V" letter that is missing the pink color....

It's not as bad as your eye sees it. The letter V obviously has its left stroke at an angle away from the K, because that's how a V is made. You can see that the actual letterspacing is very close to ideal if you look at the top of the letters--see the spacing between all three at the top, and they're almost equal.

SO: If you get it stamped again in this arrangement of letters, you will for sure see the V appearing farther away, because the letter doesn't have a vertical stroke that would be parallel to the K.

That said, I don't like the apparent chip in the V.

Heat stamps are always a gamble. I have finally found someone that is a perfectionist, but I would never stamp anything other than an SLG. I would die if I spent $2000+ on a bag and then they ruined it with a wonky stamp. It also significantly decreases the value of a bag if you ever want to sell to fund another purchase.

I found your post very interesting, you made some very good points. Thanks for sharing that information :tup:

Thank you for taking the time to do that!!!! I did get in contact with customer service and was able to send the picture. They agreed that the paint is missing and the alignment is a tad off so they will refund my money and I will just repurchase a new one...but this time I will not get the hot stamping! Lol...now I just need to decide if I will stick with the DG or maybe I'll just switch it up for DA...back to square one with my indecisions! Thank you everyone for your input!!!!

Glad this worked out for you without much hassle from LV!