Home & Garden home and garden *chat thread*

I'm not noticing as many honeybees this year. Some, but not as many. Lots of bumblebees though; wonder if they're chasing the others off?

Weird year so far. Cool, then hot, then cool again. Rain, then no rain for weeks, then storms again. Lots of stuff is growing wild, some trees and bushes have several inches of new growth, other stuff is having a hard time getting going.

Grass is nuts, lots of clover.

I'm not noticing as many honeybees this year. Some, but not as many. Lots of bumblebees though; wonder if they're chasing the others off?

Weird year so far. Cool, then hot, then cool again. Rain, then no rain for weeks, then storms again. Lots of stuff is growing wild, some trees and bushes have several inches of new growth, other stuff is having a hard time getting going.

Grass is nuts, lots of clover.

I'm finding that as well, are you on the East Coast too? Everything here is about 2 weeks late because It was a long, cold winter. I'm just glad we had spring this year. Lately, we have gone from winter straight into summer.

My friend in Florida bought a garden HOE to scrape her popcorn ceilings off. It was long like a racke/shovel handle say 5-6 feet and the bottom part was just a big thin flat piece of metal. It was easier for her to scrape with this then the hand held scrapers. She also used a garden hose on a super light most setting to wet her ceiling in 4-5 feet squares. Another hint is she used a cheap glove that had slight compression on her right hand and thumb. These gloves could be bought at any drugstore for 15.00. They are for arthritis and I think help with repetitive movements like using the computer. The guy at the paint store actually told her to use the glove when painting or taking down her popcorn ceiling. I bought one for myself a few weeks ago but haven't started to paint yet.

Have you ever thought of hiring one or two high school boys to help with this project? my friend did this all the time through their guidance office which had job postings and she had help with so many things around her house.

Thanks for the tips! I have a hoe and a tank sprayer I can use.

I want to try scraping the ceilings myself. I can do a little at a time when I feel like it, and I'm strong. I don't want to bring unofficial workers onto my property for liability insurance reasons - I always make sure I have a contract with a legal business.

I bought some flowers for my entry path garden bowls yesterday. 17 cents after gift cards! We'll see how long they last. The rain and hail destroyed my flowers last year which is why I try not to spend much. I plan to put tall grass in the center of each bowl - saved a few bucks by not buying any grass plants since I already have some tall thick grass growing in my yard.

I've lost count, but this is either the third or fourth year a bird has had a nest inside my shed. Currently working on the second brood of hatchlings this year.

Some sort of small wren or sparrow, not sure what. Also not sure if it's the same bird since I don't know how long they live. Seems like it is based on the behavior and the fact that the nest is in exactly the same spot. If it gets damaged over the winter, it gets rebuilt.

I'm finding that as well, are you on the East Coast too? Everything here is about 2 weeks late because It was a long, cold winter. I'm just glad we had spring this year. Lately, we have gone from winter straight into summer.

I'm on the East coast and I noticed this too about the bees and how we've gone from Winter to Summer. It has been blazing here the last few days.

HURRICANE ISELLE FORECAST/ADVIS ORY NUMBER 22
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092014
2100 UTC TUE AUG 05 2014

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVIS ORY...
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR HAWAII COUNTY.
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* HAWAII COUNTY
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA WITHIN 48 HOURS.

Hey gang! Happy winter!

I missed this thread, we weathered the hurricane this summer OK, now are keeping an eye on the lava flow. It is far from me, but a major concern to the community.

I got a new job and my garden has gone to seed, literally. I have lost three different yard helpers, kind of feel defeated in that area, I cannot do it all. Just cannot.

But, it's beautiful here and the bees are going gangbusters after some losses to small hive beetle. I do have help with the bees thank heaven!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Just took down my Christmas tree today. Is that horrible???

I was going to wait for the BF to do it, but decided I wanted the space for my new chair that's coming in (from Target).

I'm on a small decorating kick, so we will see where it takes me. Need to work with what I have, but the chair was needed. :smile:

The Redbud tree in my backyard, currently empty of leaves and flowers is in full bloom with Cardinals. There are at least a dozen bright red males and their mates perched on it. Can't get much of a picture from the house though.

Attachments

• CardTree.jpg
    CardTree.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited: