Hold Me, Love Me! Which bag for first BE?

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
After seeing the amazing swatches in shark grey and bags in the matte dark grey, I definitely need both. "Need" is a relative term, of course! :biggrin: I think I want to get a LM Midi in the dark grey and the Hold Me in shark. Which do you ladies think I should spring for first?

I love a bag with a courier strap that can hang down from my shoulder. Most other shoulder bags slip off. Can anyone tell me how wide the courier strap is on BE bags?

I didn't find any bespoke order lists with bags in my color, and I don't know how to create one...but it looks like I will have to custom order both to get the colors I want. Assuming there is no discount for ordering two bags at once, which is my "starter" bag?

The Dark Grey matte LM was my 1st BE and it hasn't left my side! It's a staple in any collection. What I love most are its chameleonesque properties that will match any outfit- you cannot go wrong with the dark grey matte!

Messenger strap width is approx 1 1/4" in width.

I noticed that BE has a Taupe grey LMMidi in stock.....that's also a lovely leather.

I'm not sure if they do that, but your best bet is to either email them directly or post the question in the concierge thread.

Oh, and my vote goes to the Love Me or Love Me Midi. I have the midi in dark grey matte and love it.

I totally agree going with a dark grey LM.

But, I never wear my LM as a messenger bag as I find it's too cumbersome/bulky.

Also, the straps always fall off my shoulder on my LM so I just will carry as a tote.

These just might be a couple factors for you to consider.

I think my Hold Me is a great little summer tote bag. But, again I don't wear as a messenger and wouldn't wear on my shoulder either since I don't feel the design was for that to happen.

I do like both of these bags and think a dark grey LM would look pretty but would just be prepared for the above issues.:smile:

I agree on the dark grey LM being a staple. It was my first BE and I love it to death. I use the messenger strap more on my LM midi--due to overall weight of the bag--and it works quite well. I would get a padded strap, though..the standard one is pretty thin and can start to hurt if your bag is really weighted down.

I love the Hold Me but my vote goes with the LM. I think you'll get more use out of it.

The love me is a gorgeous bag but I found the messenger strap slips if I try to use it on my shoulder. I'd email Rose and see if there's an alternative. There was a different messenger strap before the adjustable one that's currently in stock that I liked better. You see it occasionally on older bags that show up on Evilbay and Bonanzle. You can also order the LM with narrower threaded straps. Those have a long enough drop to wear on your shoulder but not so long you can't carry it on your arm.

Also, not sure how you feel about pre-owned bags but there are 2 LM's in dark grey on Bonanzle right now as well as a taupe grey LMM. (Not my sales) I've been trying to get bags 2nd hand in leathers that I'm not sure of or styles I haven't tried yet so that I don't spend a large amount of money on a bag that will lose a lot of money if I have to resell! Just my .02 though! I've learned the hard way a few times! I'm still a huge fan of BE and end up buying new when I am positive that I'll love the bag! You have less to lose with the Hold Me style since it isn't quite as costly.

Both bags are gorgeous so it's just going to come down to what works best for you personally. Jackie is great at helping with those questions so an email to her might be the next step to take in your search! Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you end up with!!

I like the Love Me better for a first bag. I know the Hold Me has a lot of fans, but it is too simple for me and b/c it is not a shoulder bag, is a dealbreaker.

What about considering the TME? Those straps stay on really well and the design is similar to a Love Me. I know that they can switch out the Love Me straps for the rolled handle as well b/c I asked about that before, but didn't do it (am glad I didn't as well b/c I have an Indulge me w/ a flat strap and it does not stay on like the rolled one does). Or, the new Rock Me is really cute too and has elements of the Love Me. I would look at the pre-owned bags too, as TL pointed out. You can get a great deal and if you aren't in love, always re-sell it and not take a huge loss like you would w/ buying from BE direct (right now second hand prices on BE bags are quite low).

I agree with tloveshim about the opportunities on ebay or bonanzle. There are a couple of grey LMs and it would be a great way to try your first BE and do so at a great price.

I'm mirroring what mostly everyone else has said, and suggesting the LM Midi in Dark Grey Matte as your first. The colour/leather is amazing and the LM Midi style has become my favourite BE style. The straps do want to slide off my shoulder as well (when the bag is new), but I'm finding as they break in they seem to stay in place better.

Let us know what you decide. :smile:

Go for the Dark Grey LM Midi. I have this bag and I love it. Although some people have trouble with the braided straps, they work very well for me. I tend to put the back strap on top of the front strap. It is comfortable that way and the straps don't slip off.

I am not familiar with Bonanzle...is that an auction type site? I am not opposed to second-hand bags, if they are the right price. I would prefer to pick my own lining and to get shorter handles and a long shoulder strap (depending on whether they can do the narrow shoulder strap), but for the right price I would not be so picky. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I saw one for $600 and one for $700...no great deals on the grey. There is a taupe for a good price, but I don't know that I want taupe right now. I would probably just regret not buying the dark grey. I also am not keen on the fuscia lining. Would really prefer the dark blue. But now I have a whole new shopping site, so thanks! :graucho:

Best to get what you really want even if you have to pay a bit more to get it! Especially if you can afford it and if you know what you want! But Bonanzle can be a lot of fun! :graucho: