Hobo & shoulder bag

Sucre

Quasi Workaholic
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
Hi,

This probably is a silly question, but I'm really confused. :confused1:

How do you classified a bag to be Hobo or Shoulder bag? which is which? Do they share some common characteristics? Sometimes, I found one bag in both categories when I shop online.

TIA :smile:

I consider a shoulder bag to be a bag that fits on the shoulder. There are many different shapes to a shoulder bag. It can be either slouchy or structured. It typically will include some hobo, satchels with long straps, and totes with ong straps. Here's some examples:

A hobo is a special shape that sort of looks like a cresent moon. It is sometimes associated with being bohemian. They are usually slouchy but there are some that are structured. Here's some examples:

Here's a link to the Neiman Marcus handbag section. They list the bags by bag type so you'll be able to see pictures of hobos and shoulder bags to get a better idea:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...5&parentId=cat000141&masterId=cat000000&cmCat=

A hobo IS a shoulder bag. But, a hobo is a shoulder bag WITH A CERTAIN SHAPE.
The buyers and websites often put hobos into the shoulder bag category -- because...well...they get confused too!