Hi Everyone! I'm new & can't wait to chat about bags! Why do they feel SO GOOD?

i'm a minimalist. i like to have/find the perfect x and that's all i need. whatever it is. i used to be watch-crazy, until i found the perfect one for me and now i'm utterly content with it. i got a gold bangle that i had wanted, and i won't look at another bracelet. i know myself and i know my taste. the kelly is the perfect purse, period - it is an iconic handbag. i don't like trendy things and i love the idea that it is durable, in style as well as service - if something happens to it, it can be repaired (can you imagine bringing in a marc jacobs hobo from 4 or 5 years ago and telling the SA that a zipper broke? they would probably say "and?" and stare at you blankly).
i don't relate to the calling card analogy, but i do understand it.
oh, and when i'm ready to buy a kelly, lol, i will curse that exclusivity, so i don't really like that aspect - in fact, i think the exclusivity has actually attracted some people to hermes who wouldn't ordinarily carry the bag, so it sort of backfired if they ever intended to try to keep it out of the "wrong" hands (lilo, for example).

Hi Lucy - welcome from another newbie :smile:

I can't quite believe the feelings these bags evoke in me. I think about the woman who purchased my vintage Kelly (which just arrived on my doorstep 30 minutes ago) and I take a deep breath, thinking about how she came to own it, what she carried in it... then I put the bag on my coffee table and walk around, getting used to the idea that it (she) is now part of my collection - my first, actually... The lines, the hardware, the leather, it's quite perfect, actually. It looks feminine and strong.

Aahhhh, Jen.....it's a VINTAGE beauty! I can totally and completely relate! They are magnificent and come with a history we can only imagine! What I wouldn't give to know where mine have been!!!!

Hiya Lucy.. welcome to the forum :flowers:

I must warn you (like I warn others) that this forum can make your already bad bag addiction go worse! And I mean a lot worse! :P Seriously, sometimes I just gotta take a deep breath before I enter this room because I know everytime I enter here it will make me (financially) worse coz I wanna keep buying more and more and more Hermes. An example, lately (especially these past couple of weeks) it's been raining (or should I say flooding? :P ) Hermes in here. Now lemme ask you, wouldnt seeing all the ladies' new bags do any good to you financially? NO! Of course you are very happy for them for acquiring new bags, just like you want them to be happy for you if you buy a new bag (or two, or three :graucho: ).. BUT, deep down inside you're gonna be wanting to get more bags too, right? And so, this is the dangerous part for you.. LOL!

Anyhow, lemme not scare you too much with all my BS :P Again, welcome and looking forward to seeing pics of your babies..

ETA: I can def relate to going to the grocery store with my birkin :P See, we all understand! :yes:

LucyInTheStarsWith Hermes there’s the fact that even if someone loves your bag said:
plan[/I] my outfits acordingly, like I'll only wear vintage peices or something from past seasons that they can't just go and buy. The leathers on Hermes drive me crazy! I love to touch them, take care of them, touch up the corners myself etc..., I actually often “pet” my Birkin in the car sitting next to me… LOL Also, the craftsmanship is just amazing! When I first got hooked on H, I actually asked a friend to introduce me to a craftsman who cold explain the whole process to me.. it was thrilling! I had purchased a Kelly bag at a consignment shop in Paris ( used) and wanted to know if it was real… he explained EVERYTHING to me.. it took like 2 hours, it was like a lesson in Hermes!

I second pretty much everything you said. Welcome to the forum by the way.

But you are right about the fact that with Hermes, people can't just run right out and get one like yours. :graucho: I LOVE that aspect. And then the skins are just so wonderful and they SMELL so good. :shame:

ladystara said:
Haha....I completely agree with you sarah!! I wasn't so obsessed with Hermes before I stumbled upon TPF :smile:. Now I want everything!! I'm starting slow..with scarves.. :smile:

Same here ladystara, lol. I'm slowly starting with scarves.
My dh :s is already starting to get nervous when I showed him my new love, my scarves from Hermes. So, I'm in this forum to try and learn more about the bags before I get one. I would like to get a kelly for my bday next year:love: