Scarves Hermesmatic - worth a try? Please post your opinions and before/after photos of scarves

Yeah, I wondered that about the lightened scarves too. Any TPFers fluent in Japanese who can help explain what's going on in that one?

Here are a few more pics that seem helpful in determining what results one might get:
https://tinyurl.com/y8x5atbx
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNZCJ1Fg57q/?taken-by=hermesassortiment
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyzVUhhvqf/?taken-by=alsiafy&hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUJIHmlhoIo/?taken-by=mariecordiez&hl=en

On that last pic, the green one worn on the head: I think the Instagrammer says somewhere that she is disappointed in it, expected it to be more emerald colored, but I think it is divine as is.

And I think I'm done hunting up pictures for now. I have orange-washing-machine overload.

Wow, these turned out to look very nice. It seems scarves with large pale areas are the best candidates for a dramatic change. I also like how the yellow/gold details turn green with a blue wash. Unfortunately, I avoid all pale scarves due to a problem with keeping them clean, but now I regret that!

Wow, these turned out to look very nice. It seems scarves with large pale areas are the best candidates for a dramatic change. I also like how the yellow/gold details turn green with a blue wash. Unfortunately, I avoid all pale scarves due to a problem with keeping them clean, but now I regret that!

I used to be the same until I discovered washing scarves by hand is so easy, now I don't worry about lighter scarves, however, dyeing doesn't cover dirt, any marks are actually made far more noticeable.

I can't think of any candidates I own already but I'd love to dye a multi-blue scarf to dd purple (I am not sacrificing my ltd ed Cheval sur mon Carre though!).

By the way if anyone wants to try-out cws with no risk they could buy a packet of photo gels in mixed colours (or overlays that help people with dyslexia read more easily).

I used to be the same until I discovered washing scarves by hand is so easy, now I don't worry about lighter scarves, however, dyeing doesn't cover dirt, any marks are actually made far more noticeable.

I can't think of any candidates I own already but I'd love to dye a multi-blue scarf to dd purple (I am not sacrificing my ltd ed Cheval sur mon Carre though!).

By the way if anyone wants to try-out cws with no risk they could buy a packet of photo gels in mixed colours (or overlays that help people with dyslexia read more easily).

Great advice there!
It's funny that you mention Cheval sur mon Carre, because I went crazy on that one (none LE though!), and one cw does not look good on me at all. Red is not my color, I need more cool tones.
IMG_1496187195.776909.jpg
IMG_1496187206.831040.jpg
I would love to do a blue wash and turn the red cooler (it is such a saturated red that I doubt it would get to purple) and the yellow to green. Somehow this scarf (not in other color ways) has always struck me as more preppy, so I'm not sure if it would look good dip dyed. What a fun idea to get a pack of color overlays to test it out! Or I wonder if there is a photo filter on the phone or on some app? I'm sure there must be!

Great advice there!
It's funny that you mention Cheval sur mon Carre, because I went crazy on that one (none LE though!), and one cw does not look good on me at all. Red is not my color, I need more cool tones.
View attachment 3714909
View attachment 3714910
I would love to do a blue wash and turn the red cooler (it is such a saturated red that I doubt it would get to purple) and the yellow to green. Somehow this scarf (not in other color ways) has always struck me as more preppy, so I'm not sure if it would look good dip dyed. What a fun idea to get a pack of color overlays to test it out! Or I wonder if there is a photo filter on the phone or on some app? I'm sure there must be!

I can see what you mean, overall the scarf is very warm. Blue is your best bet, the only thing that may suffer is the contrast detail on the turquoise and the contrast of the brown detail may be lost on the orange since the original orange will then be brown too. Although, you could try over-dying magenta, it may knock out some of the orange tones of the red (taking it 'down' to a crimson) though the scarf would still be very bright. The blue would go purple and the turquoise blue which would be OK but the orange would go 'strawberry' and the yellow the shade you want to avoid.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean, overall the scarf is very warm. Blue is your best bet, the only thing that may suffer is the contrast detail on the turquoise and the contrast of the brown detail may be lost on the orange since the original orange will then be brown too. Although, you could try over-dying magenta, it may knock out some of the orange tones of the red (taking it 'down' to a crimson) though the scarf would still be very bright. The blue would go purple and the turquoise blue which would be OK but the orange would go 'strawberry' and the yellow the shade you want to avoid.
Papertiger, you know your colors! Very good info, I'm impressed :smile:

I'm planning to dye a very light colored Tohu Bohu to a purple shade and perhaps an orange Tout de Couers into a brown? I hope I am allowed to dye two 90 cm scarves!

I see others have had 2 done so I don't see why not.

I'm also seeing Hermes should include more purple cws in their original designs

All day I've been thinking which scarf I'd have over-dyed, I've drawn a blank. Some of my new scarves I've bought for the perfect colour combo and my vintage scarves seem irreplaceable. Wish I'd bought that white Cheval der Mer now...dye it pale green.

Dear Scarfies!
I've been willing to contribute to this thread since the first day. Today I am taking the time to do so, since I see there are many questions and I hope I can help you out. I will write as many information as I can remember about my experience with HERMESMATIC. As you already know, those are pop-up stores that only appear for a few days. First there was one in France, Strassbourgh (I think), Bordeaux, then Amsterdam, then Munich, then it went to Japan. There was also one in Dubai, Brussels and Basel... The next one seems to be the one on NYC next month... My experiences were with the Munich pop up store, that was in a different location to the H-shop.

- Basically, you can bring as many scarfs as you like to have dip dyed. Not only 90s but all formats, even CS GMS! and the dying is FREE.

- There were 6 Colors you could choose from, if I remember correctly: Gray, Violet, Red, Olive, Yellow, Pink and Red...

- H wont take any responsability at all for the results. No one will tell you what it will look like, since no one really knows. It is all at your own risk. (I guess its part of the fun... not really knowing what will come out of this adventure...) Some Scarfs dye better, some not so good... some colors might get coverd up, some not.. some might blend together... some not... etc...

- You leave your scarfs there and can pick them up two days later. I was told they get washed, dyed and washed again.

- In Munich you got your scarfs in a small canvas pouch when you pick them up. But you had to ask for it! at least I did... maybe because I was not there the first 2 days and they started to hold them back... They also had soap as give-aways in form of a cube.

This was all fun and cool and stuff... BUT there is one more thing and I dont know if you guys actually know this:
Besides the scarfs that you could have dyed, they also sell scafs that are allready dip dyed, and this have been dip dyed in the factory and have the Dip Dye Tag on them! Here is where it gets REALLY interresting since they had designs that have not been reissued in a while and there were store fresh!!!!
ALSO every different Hermesmatic Location had DIFFERENT desings for sale!

I followed the different posts on Instagram, and I could see that the scarfs that were for sale in Japan were NOT the ones they had in Munich... for example:
in Munich you could buy Kachinas in 3 different dyes, (KACHINAS!!!!!) Les Danses des Indiennes (YES! OMG This Grail (at least for me) has never been reisued! were they keeping vaults with old designs somewhere hidden?!?) Quadrige, Tigre Royal, among others...
In Japan -apperently- you could buy Brazil, Serio Ludere, Springs, Cuirs du Desert, Les Cles, Jungle Love.... Do a instagram search, youll find lots of pictures!!!
I Hope I am not forgetting anything...
I am still working on the pictures, please give me some time, I will try to post soon! However, I can tell you, that my newly dyed scarfes came back with the velvety feeling typical from Dyp Dyes that silk twills dont have, this by it self was already a cool thing considering those were old scarfs I wasnt wearing any more!
Silky Hugs!
P.

Last edited:
Dear Scarfies!
I've been willing to contribute to this thread since the first day. Today I am taking the time to do so, since I see there are many questions and I hope I can help you out. I will write as many information as I can remember about my experience with HERMESMATIC. As you already know, those are pop-up stores that only appear for a few days. First there was one in France, Strassbourgh (I think), Bordeaux, then Amsterdam, then Munich, then it went to Japan. There was also one in Brussels and Dubai... The next one seems to be the one on NYC next month... My experiences were with the Munich pop up store, that was in a different location to the H-shop.

- Basically, you can bring as many scarfs as you like to have dip dyed. Not only 90s but all formats, even CS GMS! and the dying is FREE.

- There were 6 Colors you could choose from, if I remember correctly: Gray, Violet, Red, Olive, Yellow, Pink and Red...

- H wont take any responsability at all for the results. No one will tell you what it will look like, since no one really knows. It is all at your own risk. (I guess its part of the fun... not really knowing what will come out of this adventure...) Some Scarfs dye better, some not so good... some colors might get coverd up, some not.. some might blend together... some not... etc...

- You leave your scarfs there and can pick them up two days later. I was told they get washed, dyed and washed again.

- In Munich you got your scarfs in a small canvas pouch when you pick them up. But you had to ask for it! at least I did... maybe because I was not there the first 2 days and they started to hold them back... They also had soap as give-aways in form of a cube.

This was all fun and cool and stuff... BUT there is one more thing and I dont know if you guys actually know this:
Besides the scarfs that you could have dyed, they also sell scafs that are allready dip dyed, and this have been dip dyed in the factory and have the Dip Dye Tag on them! Here is where it gets REALLY interresting since they had designs that have not been reissued in a while and there were store fresh!!!!

I followed the different posts on Instagram, and I could see that the scarfs that were for sale in Japan were NOT the ones they had in Munich... for example:
in Munich you could buy Kachinas in 3 different dyes, (KACHINAS!!!!!) Les Danses des Indiennes (YES! OMG This Grail (at least for me) has never been reisued! were they keeping vaults with old designs somewhere hidden?!?) Quadrige, Tigre Royal, among others...
In Japan -apperently- you could buy Brazil, Serio Ludere, Springs, Cuirs du Desert, Les Cles.... Do a instagram search, youll find lots of pictures!!!
I am still working on the pictures, please give me some time, I will try to post soon! However, I can tell you, that my newly dyed scarfes came back with the velvety feeling typical from Dyp Dyes that silk twills dont have, this by it self was already a cool thing considering those were old scarfs I wasnt wearing any more!
Silky Hugs!
P.

Pegase, many thanks for sharing your experience, loved hearing all the details! Can't wait to see your pics! :flowers:

Dear Scarfies!
I've been willing to contribute to this thread since the first day. Today I am taking the time to do so, since I see there are many questions and I hope I can help you out. I will write as many information as I can remember about my experience with HERMESMATIC. As you already know, those are pop-up stores that only appear for a few days. First there was one in France, Strassbourgh (I think), Bordeaux, then Amsterdam, then Munich, then it went to Japan. There was also one in Dubai, Brussels and Basel... The next one seems to be the one on NYC next month... My experiences were with the Munich pop up store, that was in a different location to the H-shop.

In Japan -apperently- you could buy Brazil, Serio Ludere, Springs, Cuirs du Desert, Les Cles, Jungle Love.... Do a instagram search, youll find lots of pictures!!!
Silky Hugs!
P.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, sounds so much fun.

This sounds like such fun. Dip dyes are one of my favorites -- love the soft hand; I never have been successful at wearing a regular silk carre. I stuck with mousselines and cashmere until I discovered dip dyes. Now I wish I had some regular scarves to try this.

Reactions: QuelleFromage