Scarves Hermesmatic - worth a try? Please post your opinions and before/after photos of scarves

Sorry if this has already been covered, but how do you hand wash a scarf once it has been through the dip dye process? Is it more likely for the color to fun? One of the reasons I'm exploring an interest in scarves is the potential of hand washing them, but more and more I'm finding the look of the surteint scarves to be just gorgeous...but can they be successfully hand washed? Appreciate any insight on this.

I did hand wash the twilly I had DD'd at H'matic. There was a little color unevenness on the scarf but little color discharge in the wash water. I patted it damp quickly and then ironed it dry the rest of the way and it seemed mostly fine. I think since you can't really be absolutely sure what may be lurking on your scarf before you subject it to a DD of any sort (DIY or Hmatic) color patching can be an issue so you have to accept that first and they make you sign a form that you understand that at the Hmatic anyway. If there is anything to worry about it will be the DD coloring, as the silk screening of the base scarf will be run safe if it was run safe before (as in not a vintage scarf where you don't know about colorfastness). The silk screened part can't become un-colorfast if it was already colorfast, as the original dyes were set when the scarf was printed and that can't be undone. The DD part- I can't say for sure because I have no idea what dyes they use to DD. If you DIY the DDing, like with RIT dye, read the back of the RIT box to see if the color you chose is colorfast upon completion. If it is, that's great! (I haven't used RIT much. I have a set of professional silk dyes I used when I dye silk, cotton and wool yarns or fabric. It's a massive expense, so I don't recommend doing that for playing around. RIT is just fine and dandy for DIY DDs.)

Reactions: GLX
Thank you for the tips - I have picked up Shout color catchers in case I do try hand washing in the future.

For those of you with experience with Surteint, which I realize is not the same as the Hermesmatic dip dye, since Hermesmatic does the process to an existing scarf, whereas Surteint comes like that...is it typical for Surteint scarves to be pilled? I just bought one brand new but new to me, and it has several lightly pilled areas. It's got a lovely sueded/washed silk texture, and I recall having a washed silk shirt that did this years ago, but it was after some use. This isn't a great photo but may give you an idea of what I mean (doesn't look as obvious in the photo as in person - if you hold the scarf at an angle, several areas look like this). Also - sorry if this belongs in another thread. Please let me know if that's the case.
IMG_6153.JPG

Bumping this thread ! Very inspiring !!

i know there is currently no Hermesmatic event but i would like to home-dye a scarf. It is very bright orange with green / yellow / grey.
Any advice as to what dye colour to use? Colours that i like are blue / grey / purple - is that possible ?

Thanks in advance for your help - please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong thread :smile:

Bumping this thread ! Very inspiring !!

i know there is currently no Hermesmatic event but i would like to home-dye a scarf. It is very bright orange with green / yellow / grey.
Any advice as to what dye colour to use? Colours that i like are blue / grey / purple - is that possible ?

Thanks in advance for your help - please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong thread :smile:
Please read this post and other subsequent posts on DIY silk dye.

There's a Hermesmatic event at my local H till Nov 30th. I have only one scarf that was given to me years ago and the colour really doesn't suit me, so I thought I'd give it a try. I LOVE Dip Dyes:heart:

Reactions: MYH